"Build it and they will come?"

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Hybrid

Hybrid

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:39 PM

With Worlds looming, something worth mentioning is the state of FFGs' 'Organized' Play. With the gaffes of the recent past, the addition of a cafeteria and new Event Center will be an investment flushed down the privy if FFG doesn't get their act together and provide players with a smooth and controversy free tournament experience at Worlds 2013. Many players will be attending at great pain and sacrifice so I really hope FFG makes it worth their while! 

What do you 'the community' feel could be done by FFG to improve the tournament experience?

Edited by Hybrid, 14 October 2013 - 12:40 PM.

#2 dboeren

dboeren

• Members
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:42 PM

For most of us, you're either going to Worlds or else you're not even considering going to Worlds.  Only a relatively few people are going to be on the fence I think.  For most people geography is the main factor involved and I don't realistically expect FFG to move their company to another state in order to be more accessible to more players.

At their own HQ, they'll be in control so no worries about fighting Gencon for how many tables you can get or how long your event can go and so forth.  They'll have the power to do whatever they need to do, which is good.

Two games (Star Wars and Thrones) have just had their updated FAQs released.  I expect that the other LCGs should be getting their soon as well.  For Cthulhu specifically I feel like we really need a firm official ruling about how "from discard" effects should work.  If anyone's on the fence about attending the Cthulhu tournament it's probably because of this issue.

One thing that I think puts a lot of people off is that the tournaments overlap quite a bit.  I think for many of us, we want to play in more than one tournament in order to justify the expense and effort of traveling - but if your two favorite games are at the same time then you can't do this.  OK, yes there are the side events, but it's not quite the same thing.  I would like to see more effort made to avoid overlap which would include cracking down on the numerous delays we tend to see at Gencon that put things over schedule and also using more of the day.  It may not be 100% solvable but at least get overlap down to a minimum.

Know how many rounds you need.  At Gencon we had a change of format which upset a lot of people.

#3 Hybrid

Hybrid

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:33 PM

For most of us, you're either going to Worlds or else you're not even considering going to Worlds.  Only a relatively few people are going to be on the fence I think.  For most people geography is the main factor involved and I don't realistically expect FFG to move their company to another state in order to be more accessible to more players.

It has been a lot more complicated for our local players than "... you're either going to Worlds or else you're not even considering going to Worlds". First of all, having Cthulhu Worlds on Thursday made it necessary for local players to have two additional days off compared to last year. This is not an easy thing to accomplish towards the end of the calendar year not to mention the holiday season coming up. Three players who attended last year will not make it this year just for that reason alone. Two of our new local players who were on the fence because of the way things were handled at GenCon are likely to now skip Worlds due to a lack of addressing effects triggered from the discard in the new faq and they both have free passes due to winning various regionals. You've mentioned Geography and overlapping events which also limits the value of attending. Obviously I don't expect FFG to move their headquarters. I only really expect them to learn from their mistakes and not repeat them. 

• jhaelen likes this

#4 badash56

badash56

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:13 AM

Yeah I have a feeling the Cthulhu tournament is going to be pretty light this year.  I'm also really looking forward to the AGOT Joust (and maybe Netrunner) which should both be pretty packed.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS