Expansion Ideas.

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 Kunzite

Kunzite

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:45 PM

I think the only thing holding me back from creating my own campaigns, other than time, is that set of guidelines to ensure a quest is balanced.  If that was provided then this game would be limitless in potential.  I really feel I could come up with a much better story than what is provided and I'd love to mix in a few single encounters with larger maps into the campaign instead of everything being two smaller quests.  I've stated earlier that I wish they'd slow down the expansions just to save my wallet but after seeing a city expansion announced, I'm giddy for more!  That was a direction that I did not see coming.  With all of the different heroes, monsters (I have D1), classes, overlord cards, plot decks, etc, there is so much variability that no two campaigns would ever play out the same.  For me the only thing missing to truly take this game "over the top" is the ability to easily create my own balanced campaigns.  If the guidelines were there this game would be perfect.  I'd also love to see an official storage solution sold to hold everything.

I could not agree more whole heartily. In my experience, there are a number of ways I see balance. Such as divided attention syndrome, as I like to call it. Anytime heroes or the OL have to divide their resources to accomplish their goal while keeping the other from accomplishing theirs is sure signs that a fail is in order. A good example is "Armed to the Teeth" and "At the Forge". In the first, the heroes have their attention divided so the OL has the advantage. In the later the opposite is true.

Another is numbers. Monster numbers is one way and reinforcement numbers is another. Many times when I get two monsters a turn back in my pool, the heroes struggle allot. Most of the time, downing one monster a turn is hard. Downing two is harder. Downing three to make my numbers less is taxing.

I am no expert, so am very sure it's more complex then that, but that is what I have learned.

"Bide your time and hold out hope."

~Count of Monte Cristo

NotesFromTheOverlord.tumblr.com

#42 rugal

rugal

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 03:52 PM

does someone knows the tribe of Lyssa of the east ?

#43 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:47 PM

I think the only thing holding me back from creating my own campaigns, other than time, is that set of guidelines to ensure a quest is balanced.  If that was provided then this game would be limitless in potential.

I doubt such a set of guidelines is even possible, let alone forthcoming.  If it were possible to categorize quest design into a set of simple guidelines, surely there wouldn't be so many discussions about how game balance can swing one way or the other based on the quest played.  FFG made the game.  They spent umpteen hours designing and playtesting quests both for first and second edition.  If they can't generate consistently balanced quests, nobody can.

Just follow your heart and be prepared to tweak things on the fly if you spot a gaffe.  That's not so different from what happens when running a game of D&D or Pathfinder, if you think about it.

does someone knows the tribe of Lyssa of the east ?

She looks like a cat-person to me.  Singhara or leonine, depending on which name you prefer.  Actually, she might be a human/leonine half-breed, considering she looks much more human than most other cat-people in the setting.

There is no official answer to that question, btw.  This is just speculation based on the artwork.

• Silverhelm likes this

#44 Silverhelm

Silverhelm

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:19 PM

I think the only thing holding me back from creating my own campaigns, other than time, is that set of guidelines to ensure a quest is balanced. If that was provided then this game would be limitless in potential. I really feel I could come up with a much better story than what is provided and I'd love to mix in a few single encounters with larger maps into the campaign instead of everything being two smaller quests. I've stated earlier that I wish they'd slow down the expansions just to save my wallet but after seeing a city expansion announced, I'm giddy for more! That was a direction that I did not see coming. With all of the different heroes, monsters (I have D1), classes, overlord cards, plot decks, etc, there is so much variability that no two campaigns would ever play out the same. For me the only thing missing to truly take this game "over the top" is the ability to easily create my own balanced campaigns. If the guidelines were there this game would be perfect. I'd also love to see an official storage solution sold to hold everything.

I could not agree more whole heartily. In my experience, there are a number of ways I see balance. Such as divided attention syndrome, as I like to call it. Anytime heroes or the OL have to divide their resources to accomplish their goal while keeping the other from accomplishing theirs is sure signs that a fail is in order. A good example is "Armed to the Teeth" and "At the Forge". In the first, the heroes have their attention divided so the OL has the advantage. In the later the opposite is true.

Another is numbers. Monster numbers is one way and reinforcement numbers is another. Many times when I get two monsters a turn back in my pool, the heroes struggle allot. Most of the time, downing one monster a turn is hard. Downing two is harder. Downing three to make my numbers less is taxing.

I am no expert, so am very sure it's more complex then that, but that is what I have learned.
There is a way to make a game like this chess like balanced but it needs to be done from the start. Problem is the end result would be a stale game of boring.

How? Each monster matches each hero stat for stat. Monsters have same hero feats. Each quest perfectly constructed so no advantage goes to either hero or OL. Monsters uses same shop heroes use and can use any of the items on monsters. Monsters can compete against coins on tiles. No randomness. All monster and heroes have exact same defense die. This sound fun? Am I a expert? Yes because I'm a consumer. Correction we are all experts because we all are consumers that sounds better! So your right too...

Edited by Silverhelm, 30 October 2013 - 08:03 PM.

#45 noodles

noodles

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:34 PM

Me:

I think the only thing holding me back from creating my own campaigns, other than time, is that set of guidelines to ensure a quest is balanced.  If that was provided then this game would be limitless in potential.

I doubt such a set of guidelines is even possible, let alone forthcoming.  If it were possible to categorize quest design into a set of simple guidelines, surely there wouldn't be so many discussions about how game balance can swing one way or the other based on the quest played.  FFG made the game.  They spent umpteen hours designing and playtesting quests both for first and second edition.  If they can't generate consistently balanced quests, nobody can.

Steve-O:

Just follow your heart and be prepared to tweak things on the fly if you spot a gaffe.  That's not so different from what happens when running a game of D&D or Pathfinder, if you think about it.

Well you may be right.  If that is the case then the OL would have to be willing to tweak the upcoming quests of a campaign based on how the heroes were doing.  But I can't help but think once the OL does that, he's basically a DM trying to maintain a challenge in each quest but ultimately wanting the heroes to win to advance the campaign.  Now personally, I would be ok with this because that is how I approach the OL player.  I want the heroes to ultimately win and have a great time along the way.  But I'd imagine that a lot of players are more cutthroat than me in their determination to blow out the heroes.

Edited by noodles, 30 October 2013 - 07:34 PM.

#46 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:17 PM

Now personally, I would be ok with this because that is how I approach the OL player.  I want the heroes to ultimately win and have a great time along the way.  But I'd imagine that a lot of players are more cutthroat than me in their determination to blow out the heroes.

You're probably right about that.  A lot of people do play the game as a proper competition, not an RPG.  (I generally do, myself.)  However, I'm strong believer in the idea that one should make homebrew content for themselves, first and foremost.  Post it online if you want to share it, but don't expect anything in return.  If they like it, they like it, if they don't they can make their own.

Besides, the more you play and tweak your own quests, the better balanced they become for the benefit of others who may not want to tweak it themselves.

#47 Mowca

Mowca

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 05:43 AM

What I would like to see Is an Ice Caves expansions. With Yetties, skeletons and wraiths like in and Ultima Underworld II game. Thin ice traps, ,cold underground rivers with some lurking water beast inside, forggoten ice tombs or citiy haunted with warm-hungry wraiths.

Just my to cents cheers :)

• Kunzite likes this

#48 Safyre

Safyre

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:51 AM

As mentioned earlier about a seaborne expansion, I had thoughts about specific quests in a campaign that included ship to ship boarding and deck battles (getting a relic back from pirates or just being attacked while sailing from one quest to another).

I have started a campaign in the Quest Vault that could begin a Zombie Apocolypse type of thing (depending on if the Overlord wins or if the heroes win ;) ) but I've only finished the first encounter of the first quest. It will most likely take me a while but it'll be published for those interested once finished.

- Saf

• Kunzite likes this

- Saf

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS