Photo

Melisandre (core) and Tourney for the Hand card.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 JJGlyph

JJGlyph

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 05:38 PM

We have a Knight of Flowers on the table with power on him. Melisandre is also on the table controlled by an opponent. The player with Knight of flowers pulled Tourney for the Hand as their plot card. Does Tourney cause the Knight to be immune to Melisandres ability? Thus making his power count toward winning for that turn.

#2 stormwolf27

stormwolf27

• Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:39 PM

It's not technically an ability, because it is not triggered. It's a passive constant. As long as she is in play, and her text box is not blanked by a card effect, whether it be a plot, event, or attachment, the power on Knight of Flowers will not count towards the total power in your example.

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men." - Willy Wonka

#3 JJGlyph

JJGlyph

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:44 PM

Thanks for the reply. The plot grants immunity it does not blank it out. So does that change what you said?

#4 radiskull

radiskull

• Members
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:25 PM

Melisandre doesn't act on the Knight of Flowers directly; she prevents you (the player) from counting the power on him toward you total.

#5 JJGlyph

JJGlyph

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:46 PM

Thanks bros.

#6 Khudzlin

Khudzlin

• Members
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 02:33 AM

It's not technically an ability, because it is not triggered. It's a passive constant. As long as she is in play, and her text box is not blanked by a card effect, whether it be a plot, event, or attachment, the power on Knight of Flowers will not count towards the total power in your example.

Actually, abilities can be triggered, passive or constant. These are 3 different things (there's no such thing as a passive constant). Melisandre (CS) has 2 constant abilities: the STR boost while she is standing (this is a conditional constant ability) and not counting power on opponent's characters.

@Radiskull: I'd say she is affecting the power, but since it is not covered by immunity either, the end result is the same.

Edited by Khudzlin, 13 October 2013 - 02:37 AM.

#7 radiskull

radiskull

• Members
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:18 AM

@Radiskull: I'd say she is affecting the power, but since it is not covered by immunity either, the end result is the same.

Yeah, I could get behind that interpretation - but as you say, the result is the same.

#8 mdc273

mdc273

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:44 AM

Her ability definitely affects the power. It's the subject of the effect.

"Power on opponents' characters does not count towards their total power."

#9 Skowza

Skowza

• Members
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:30 PM

Ignore mdc, who will probably post some long-winded explanation of his interpretation that criticizes the rules of the game for being confusing and vague.

#10 doulos2k

doulos2k

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:34 PM

Skowza - wow, really? Frankly, MDC was just underscoring what was already said. As someone who has been publicly critical of some of MDC's specific posts... I feel your comment was uncalled for in this context. His post was neither confusing, argumentative, nor long-winded.

(Not that he needs me to defend him... but c'mon man... really.)

• Bomb and -Istaril like this

Austin AGoT Players

http://agotaustin.com

#11 Skowza

Skowza

• Members
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:26 PM

Ok, you're right, I had expected his post to be followed up by something that exceeded the character limit for posts. I apologize mdc, and to the rest of the community as well since we do a good job of keeping troll-free friendly forums and I think we all want to keep it that way.

#12 mdc273

mdc273

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:22 PM

Lulz.

I appreciate the defense and the apology. I know I irritate people, but it's not intentional. Most people who know me in real life just know I say what I want to say with little filter. I try not to be tactless, but that's about it. I've been told I have no tact before, though. Haha. The majority of my long posts can be ignored by the average player.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS