• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,135 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 05:06 PM

So, after a little hiatus from Arkham, I played a couple of games in the last three-four days. Of the first one, there isn't much to tell: pathetic Cthulhu and his court of jesters (Dagon & Hydra) were annihilated when the squid's doom track hit 7 o' doom.

Tonight's game was somehow tougher since the beginning: Zhar was in, with KH, IH, MH in the mix, again with Dagon and Hydra to give the twin obscenity a little extra help. On the other side of the barricade, Lily, Mandy, William, Tommy, Amanda. Quite a good start up, with Mandy drawing a double Director's Diary, Lily with an extra Dynamite charge in case her hand weren't enough explosive, and some more decent stuff around, but no defnitive weapons, or what else.

Still, with the two Director's Diary in my hand, and a good reserve of clues amongst investigators' starting possessions, I heard my voice saying "unless the first gate is Devil Reef, it's already game over for the poor tentacle guy". HA. JINXED!

First Mythos: Esoteric Order of Dagon: Plateau of Leng + a Nghtgaunt. Plus two monsters in the Factory District Streets (Deep One and Zombie). Uhm. Second set-up Mythos: Devil Reef. A Cultist.

Okay, so, we have this little problem now, that not many people are fast pacers, and you know... So: Lily started moving towards the Station, Tommy picked up his Rifle and the Map of Arkham (for this game called "Map of the Expansion Boards") and headed for Joe Sargent's Bus Shelter in Innsmouth, William moved North so that Amanda could recover the King in Yellow and read some pages while at the Black Cave and Mandy, oh, sweet Mandy, went to the Unnamable instead of going to the Unvisited Isle so that she had a lower chance to be sucked in an OW during the Mythos. JINXED. She was sucked in during the Arkham Encounter Phase and left a Vampire guarding the gate.

New Mythos: monster surge from the Unnamable. The mummy arrived, and another silly monster. From Devil reef emerged a High Priest. A Skeleton and a Witch from Dagon. The Nightgaunt in the Sky landed on Tommy. Fortunately the two monsters in DR remained still. Still, nobody having enough clues to seal but Mandy, who was actually enjoying an Underworld-ly experience.

Tommy cleaned the bus shelter, Amanda passed the King in Yellow and got her 5 clues, and started moving towards the Train Station; Lily passed by Tom, used Falcon Point to reach Devil Reef and kill the two monsters, only to jump into the gate (Leng again) with only her starting two clues. The first OW encounter granted her the chance to get 2 clues if a Lore (-1) check was passed. Spectacular failure. Thought: c'mon, let's use Mandy's ability and score this damn 2 clues, then I can get Research Materials at the Grocery, exit at Dagon's and seal. JINXED. Another catastrophic failure. Good.

Next Mythos: monster surge from the Esoteric Order of Dagon. Nay, you gotta be kidding me. Skeleton and Deep One Hybrid from Dagon, Spectral Hunter (phew) from Devil Reef, monsters moving, Tommy snowed under, Amanda arriving searching for a gate and everybody but the guys enjoying the OWs were hit by Taxes Come Due. "No girl, no job, no money, no problem", somebody wiser than me said. Well, he never went to Innsmouth with people to rescue from Falcon Point. Sigh.

Amanda grabbed Tommy's rifle and cleaned the streets in front of Dagon. Tommy recovered the rifle and killed the Zombie, secretly wishing of fumbling the Horror Check to get a Madness and leave the town (he had given the last money to Amanda). "I have only one die, I'll certainly fail the Horror check". JINXED. Passed the horror check and pulverized the zombie. Lily scraps from the ground one clue in the second area of Leng. Mandy enjoys the subterrean pleasures of the cities of ghouls in the Underworld, but somehow manages to stay alive.

Next Mythos: monster surge from the Unnamable. Seriously? What's wrong with the deck today?? Buuuuuut... the Devil Reef monster is a Warlock.

Crying for relief, Lily returned to Devil Reef and explained the Warlock why bare handed fighting is better than casting spells. The Warlock rewarded her lesson with two clues (and the she partied by smashing the Hunting Horror Spectral Hunter to make some extra money) and then she was able to put the first seal on the board. Mandy followed and sealed the Unnamable, and immediately the Mythos tried being nifty opening the Unnamable again, but failed because there was no bursting on the Mythos card, so +1 success on Mandy's PS, and +1 DOR.

Innsmouth was free from monsters, Tommy put two clues on green to start feeding the Fed Track, Lily went to Y'hanthlei and decided to lose the last point of Sanity instead of drawing two Innsmouth Look cards to move directly to the Asylum and solving a big problem (returning to Falcon Point with nobody being able to pay for her to return). Amanda jumped into Leng part two, and Tommy started roaming through Innsmouth like a vagabond, trying to find something useful to return home. He gathered two clues instead, and used one of them to add to the Fed Track. Then he found a monster's corpse under Joe Sargent's bus, and mysteriously one monster disappeared from the Outskirts.

William kept on wandering like a restless soul, searching for a gate to dive into, but every time he moved in a direction, a new gate popped up in the opposite, and too far away for him to reach it. Finally he thought it could have been time to use the Key of Tawil-something, and entered the Dreamlands. At the same time, Lily sneaked under a Crawling One, only to massacre a Formless Spawn (after Lily, it became a "Even More Formless Spawn") and enter the City of the Great Race, and Mandy, oh, Mandy, she went to the Unvisited Isle to gather her third clue, saying "if I got a gate at the Unnamable first, I won't be so unlucky to get another gate encounter in the same neighborhood". JINXED. Leng, again (Lily's trophy was spent earlier for 2+1 clues at the Science Building).

In the OW, Lily got the encounter before Mandy, and the encounter spelled "get a clue token for each investigator, including you, currently in an OW". So, +3 clues for Lily, and zero for Mandy.

A third rift progress marker was added to the first rift's track, and the same for the second rift track. Amanda, after sealing Dagon, dashed to Kingsport but was delayed at the Terrible Old Man's house. The DOR track was at 5, and Tommy used the last clue to clear the Fed and reset the DOR track to 2. Then had a lucky encounter at Falcon Point, offering him 5 dollars, which meant a chance to return home (in the mean time, I tried to have him being driven insane, but I kept on failing)

The guys in the OW returned home, William sealed with 4 clues & Mythos lore, was driven insane by the Crawling One and headed for the Leng gate at the Unvisited Isle Mandy had just left, to gather forces with Lily (who sealed; 5 seals on the board at the moment) to cash clues at the Science Building. "We so much need to enter a gate", I thought. JINXED. Next Mythos: The Stars are Right, rumor, Science Building (three times a gate appeared under Mandy's feet tonight!).

Followed by a lovely encounter who added a DOR, a gate bouncing on the Devil Reef seal, but it was no common Mythos Card, it was Gathering Storm!, so that in one turn I had the DOR track at 5 tokens again.

Not much to do, but raise praise to Nodens and hope, Mandy's PS had already 4 clues on it, I needed only one more to put the last seal on the board. So, clueless Tommy and Amanda worked to keep the rifts udner control, Mandy, Lily and William moved to the second area of the respective OWs and finally the last Mythos bounced at the Esoteric Orded of Dagon, forcing the DOR track to fill AND Mandy's PS to be passed: a classic case of sincronicity that must be settled down by the First Player. Clearly, the decision was for Mandy. Check mate.

Victory by sealing gates in 14 Mythos, with Zhar's doom track at 8.

Fun to say, in a game with Dagon where keeping the terror level under control is vital, I had both Director's Diary, but the Terror Level never increased. Anyway, tense, close, fun game.

Edited by Julia, 13 October 2013 - 02:59 AM.

• dj2.0 and Schwaig like this
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#2 dj2.0

dj2.0

• Members
  • 909 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:48 PM

Awesome game with a nail biting finish! ( i didn't skip ahead!). Highlights - Lily making sweet Formless souffle and serving it up cold on the warlock AND its pet (do hunting horrors have breakable elbows?), monsters being flattened by the Innsmouth bus, the Trials of Mandy meeting with ultimate and rare vindication, Tommy seeking sweet release in a blasted mind and not finding it (isn't that always the way when you need it?), the spam - oh the endless spam of monsters and delays and the stench of deep ones inevitably rising like shoggoth farts ! - hilarious! A *horribly* constipated game, you did an amazing job unblocking it all, congratulations!
This is so often how the Mythos gets me - by not opening gates at all early on, or not often enough. Its just deadly when the Doom is short and expansions boards are out there (incidentally, Map of Lovecraft Country could cover the entire region).
  • Julia likes this

#3 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,135 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:05 AM

Thanks for reading the chronicle Dj, and I'm happy you liked the game :)

Indeed, it was a real nailbiter (and sorry, I somehow changed the Spectral Hunter at Devil Reef into a Hunting Horror... must have been too late yesterday when I wrote this!). Must say, it was an *awesome* game. It seemed so doomed at the beginning, when I had something like 8 monsters and 2 gates open in Innsmouth and nobody able to seal, so challenging! :D

I like the Map of Lovecraft Country, must suggest the name to Jake for his expansion :)

• dj2.0 likes this
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#4 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:42 PM

Julia,

Wow!  Great game, indeed...and not nearly as JINXED as you originally thought.  I'm in the middle of a game right now with Hank, Minh, Monterey, and Roland vs. Nyarl ~ if I didn't use my Variant, I would have faced the following three cards in rapid succession:

1. One Thousand Young (Rumor) & Double Doomer
  2. Cover-up (Rumor) & Double Doomer
  3. Murder in the Museum (Headline) & Double Doomer

Fortunately, the Variant disallows any Rumors or Double Doomers for the first Four Turns, or we would've awakened ol' Nyarl in eight Mythos cards...EIGHT!  Among the Investigators, I had just enough Clue tokens to eventually seal two Gates...if we were lucky.

Some highlights thus far include everyone but poor Monty Passing their Personal Stories and both Roland and Minh picking-up a second Ally.  On the downside, Hank spent some time in LiTaS and later, broke his leg falling down a flight of stairs (Injury: -1 Speed).  While he did manage to receive a Blessing for killing two monsters, he lost it on the very first available turn.  Fortunately, Innsmouth has been absolutely quiet.  We have four seals on the board, and Nyarl's sitting at 8 Doom tokens.

Cheers,

Joe

Edited by The Professor, 13 October 2013 - 12:43 PM.

• dj2.0 likes this

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#5 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,135 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:19 PM

Three double doomers in a row? Joe, I'm strongly tempted to calculate the odds for this to happen :D

Still, 4 seals and 8 doomers... it's quite a close call, let us know if the poor Arkham is doomed or not!

#6 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:25 PM

Julia,

Please calculate...I laughed out loud as I revealed each one, in a row!  I misspoke...it was actually, 9 Doom tokens and 4 seals.  Now, after the next Turn (I played a quick Turn before heading into town for Church and dinner), it's 5 seals and the Doom track stalled for the moment at 9 as a Gate attempting to open at the Graveyard 'bounced' due to the Elder Sign.

Ciao,

Joe

The Professor

#7 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:46 PM

The last few Turns proved exciting, as the next Mythos card [attempted to] open[ed] two Gates, but one already situated among the trees in the Woods caused instead a Monster Surge.  Fortunately, the Doom Track received no Doom Tokens, and we had a bit of a breather.  The next Mythos card attempted to open a Gate at Independence Square...again, a momentary respite.  Finally, Minh Thi tried for the last time to seal her Gate...despite losing her Blessing, she managed to successfully cast Sigil of Hermes Trismegistus, close the Gate, and sacrifice her last five Clue tokens to seal the sixth location.  With the last Gate sealed, she dropped exhausted to the ground.

The Professor

#8 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,135 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:23 PM

Joe, I did the math. Considering a deck of 293 Mythos cards (all Mythos from all expansions but the Story Continues, plus I considered only one copy of the Pharaoh), you have 14 double doomers. Hence, the odds of:

a) drawing a double doomer as the second card of the deck: 14/292

b) second double doomer: 13/291

c) third double doomer: 12/290

If we want to calculate the odds of having these three events triggered in a row, odds clearly are:

(14*13*12)/(292*291*290) = 0.0089%

rather an improbable series of nefarious events...

#9 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:03 PM

Julia,

As a liberal arts major, concentrated in History, Economics, and Philosophy, along with a Masters Degree in International Relations, I'm as far from math as I am currently from Trieste.  I absolutely trust your 'figuring' skills, but let me tell you, the board, on occasion, hates me.  Anytime, I get near a 75% win-rate, the cards turn against me and it's all over.  In this case, thank goodness for Minh...she's quite the feisty Vietnarean (Vietnamese name with a Korean back story)!

Ciao,

Joe

Edited by The Professor, 14 October 2013 - 08:03 PM.

The Professor

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS