New fan created expansion on BGG

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jackman51

jackman51

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 01:33 PM

Just a heads up to those who don't browse the BGG forums at all--this guy seems to have images of a new board and much more!

http://boardgamegeek...r-wip-expansion

Help him out.

#2 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:02 PM

jackman51,

I gave a bit of feedback, but I'm honestly not that enamored by the fan-created expansions.  It's stunningly attractive, and there's a lot of work evident in the design, it's just not my cup of tea.

Cheers,

Joe

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#3 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:09 PM

I can agree, mostly because I don't have the capability to print off all the beautiful pieces for use--it's why I stick to things that don't require printing tokens, chits or anything like that--Heralds/Institutes/Guardians, Investigators and AOs.

#4 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:17 PM

That's an excellent observation, Dr. Faust...one of the primary reasons I don't engage with these fan-based expansions has almost nothing to do with the creators/developers, and everything about me.  I would want them nearly flawless, and I can't possibly recreate them on a printer and the use of my scissor skills.

Cheers,

Joe

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#5 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 02:46 PM

Well, I get the prints done from  Wal-Mart. Relatively cheap, they look nice and clean and Wal-Mart doesn't ask questions. XD

• The Professor likes this

#6 jackman51

jackman51

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:52 PM

I'm not overly crazy about the monsters he has--it looks like a collection of nut house escapees--almost too themed--but I like the board a lot and especially the idea of another path to another board through the Woods in Arkham.

#7 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:13 PM

I did make an expansion myself, though it was meant solely for the Base board. I worked on one other one, mostly as a joke since the board is in Delaware--where I'm from, and nothing but nothing happens in Delaware.

#8 CrusherJoe

CrusherJoe

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:22 PM

I have yet to do a full blown fan expansion this way, but little add-ons and such created by the fan community were printed up for me by OfficeDepot and my local FedEx (formerly Kinko's).  I've got a passel of AOs, Heralds, Guardians, Tibs's and Chris's 16 Investigators and playmats on the highest card stock they offered.  For a little more, they laminated the playmats for me.  I also grabbed the Citizens of Arkham from deep in the files section of BGG and churned those out.  Both businesses let me use their paper slicer on site, and while I can tell a difference in feel, they look like FFG made them. 

For the price of a small expansion or less, I've got components I can easily swap out.  For less than a big box I think I can do one of the big box fan expansions. 

I'm looking at my first big print job and it might just be Golden Scarab.  Haven't' decided yet.

#9 Jake yet again

Jake yet again

• Members
  • 638 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:18 AM

That's an excellent observation, Dr. Faust...one of the primary reasons I don't engage with these fan-based expansions has almost nothing to do with the creators/developers, and everything about me.  I would want them nearly flawless, and I can't possibly recreate them on a printer and the use of my scissor skills.

Cheers,

Joe

The designers notes and FAQ in Lovecraft Country Horror give plenty of instructions on how to resolve this issue. Indeed one of the design principles was to provide a home for much of the fan-based material, hence you can resolve to use fan-made Commons and Uniques at Dean's Corner and fan-made Spells at Peck Valley. In addition, LCH has a quick print version which only requires a page of cards and a print out of encounter index.

• The Professor likes this

Lovecraft Country Horror - A completely FREE Big Box expansion for Arkham Horror, exploring the minor locations of the Cthulhu Mythos. Contains: Lovecraft Country Board, 16 Investigators, 4 Ancient Ones, 16 Skills, 32 Common Items, 24 Unique Items, 10 Spells, 16 Music of Erich Zann cards, 76 Leads, 4 Allies, 32 Monsters, 24 Injuries and Madnesses, 54 Mythos Cards, 41 Outer World Encounters, 52 Location Encounters for each Neighbourhood.

#10 Fake Ghost Pirate

Fake Ghost Pirate

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:04 AM

Golden Scarab is one seriously screwed up expansion (in a good way)

With some fan-made expansions, I put the new monsters in a separate cup and roll a die to see which cup the monster's drawn from. This isn't necessary with "The Arkham Nightmare" or "The Vermont Horror" cause they have really clever work-arounds for most new components.

The "Slenderman" is a different Mythos, don't think it has anything to do with Lovecraft. I like most of the art the guy has used, but it's more modern-era than 1920s. It looks pretty awesome though.

#11 Tox

Tox

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:50 AM

It's also inspired by the Chzo Mythos, based around the excellent (and free) Trilby point-and-click horror adventure games.

#12 Fake Ghost Pirate

Fake Ghost Pirate

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:44 PM

Never heard of the Chzo Mythos, or the game it's from. I think he could retrofit everything into the 20s except maybe Centralia PA, cause the underground fire didn't start till the 1960s

#13 Jake yet again

Jake yet again

• Members
  • 638 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:19 AM

Just call Centralia "Silent Hill" and then use creative license to try and work out what happened 70 years before Harry made his way to the town. Score bonus geek points if you can link it to the cult operating in "Century Falls" in the 1950's.

Lovecraft Country Horror - A completely FREE Big Box expansion for Arkham Horror, exploring the minor locations of the Cthulhu Mythos. Contains: Lovecraft Country Board, 16 Investigators, 4 Ancient Ones, 16 Skills, 32 Common Items, 24 Unique Items, 10 Spells, 16 Music of Erich Zann cards, 76 Leads, 4 Allies, 32 Monsters, 24 Injuries and Madnesses, 54 Mythos Cards, 41 Outer World Encounters, 52 Location Encounters for each Neighbourhood.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS