• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#81 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,119 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:46 PM

Yes, they do count. Investigators not counting against the final score are only those who were devoured during the game.

Well done in sealing Shub!

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#82 Lee418

Lee418

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:43 AM

Cthulhu versus -

Vincent Lee, Darrell Simmons, Gloria Goldberg, and "Ashcan" Pete.

6 seals in 15 turns.

Doom 5.

Terror 2.

21 points.

2 Elder Signs used.

Not a particularly difficult or eventful game. Despite Vincent Lee who was even more useless than normal. His sole contibution to the game was getting LiTaS. He could have had the honour of sealing the final gate, but Pete beat him to it.

#83 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,119 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:45 PM

Despite Vincent Lee who was even more useless than normal. His sole contibution to the game was getting LiTaS.

:laughter: you never play Yog when you need it...

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#84 Lee418

Lee418

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 01:08 PM

:laughter: you never play Yog when you need it...

That's true. :lol:

But next is Nyarlathotep. :ph34r:

With Monterey Jack, Bob Jenkins, Joe Diamond and Mandy Thompson.

Damn! I was hoping to draw Mandy against Yog. :P  

#85 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,119 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:24 PM

You'll stomp on him. Monterey's not great, but all the others are awesome :)

#86 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:46 PM

I love Monty! He was actually the first Investigator I ever played. My brother knew my weakness for Indiana Jones.

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#87 Schwaig

Schwaig

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 06:47 AM

And ever it comes to the the Egyptian challenge with the Dark Pharaoh as the Herald he is so quite useless :(

Edited by Schwaig, 27 October 2013 - 06:47 AM.

• Julia likes this

#88 Lee418

Lee418

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:10 AM

And ever it comes to the the Egyptian challenge with the Dark Pharaoh as the Herald he is so quite useless :(

I don't have Dark Pharoah yet. Can you elaborate on why Monterey is useless against this particular Herald?

#89 Schwaig

Schwaig

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:57 PM

With the Dark Pharaoh as a Herald everytime you gain a Unique Item you lose one Sanity, as well as several other effects which don't matter that much regarding Monterey Jack. So with his starting equipment of 2 Unique Items and his maximum Sanity of 3 he starts out with only one Sanity. Even worse if Cthulhu is the AO: Monterey would go immediately insane and lose half of his starting equipment. Also with the Dark Pharaoh you would not try too hard to get Unique Items with Monterey (unless you have a Healing Stone or something alike) which makes his special a bit useless...

So overall he is not totally useless but pretty much more crippled than other Investigators against the Dark Pharaoh.

• Lee418 likes this

#90 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:13 PM

I don't play with that Herald, but that would be quickly changed to "after obtaining your Starting Possessions..."

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#91 Tox

Tox

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:52 PM

Lee, I hope you don't mind if I post a report in your thread. You can get a taste of what awaits you after you get Dunwich...

Harrowing loss against Shudde M'ell...I was close to both winning by seals (5 down) AND winning in epic final combat (something that must have happened three times, tops).

Shudde M'ell and Father Dagon, with IH, LatT and MH in play.

Randomly chosen Lily, Mandy, Jim and Rex.

First and second Mythos vomited 3 gates in Arkham (the first one opened two). So I started the game with a gate in the Witch House, one in the Black Cave and one on the Unvisited Isle, with the AO having one token. Fortunately, Rex started with a De Vermiis Mysteriis. The first turn ended with three investigators ready to seal and the fourth gate in the Market's streets.

What followed was the closing of the moving gate through the Mysteriis tome and the quick sealing of the Isle, the Witch House, the Black Cave, the Cemetary and the Science Department (this last one accomplished by Jim with an Elder Sign). Unfortunately, I didn't get even ONE monster surge during the whole game, and a Mythos card unleashed one monster on every aquatic location...DOR track kept rising but everyone was busy sealing gates in Arkham. Seriously, the investigators spent 4/5ths of their time in the OWs.

Inevitably, the DOR filled up through a last bounce on a seal. Deputy Rex was immediately devoured because LiTaS. The rest of the gang was equipped with a Withering, an Azure Flame, a crowbar and Lily's fists. Mandy had just visited the Curiosity Shoppe to find something good (an awakening was inevitable) because I judged my chances of winning the final combat pretty good (remember, NO surges during the whole game meant 8 turns, if lucky, against the Worm). She found a Sealing the Beast's power. Too late for that. Oh well, it would have been interesting to see both Lily AND StBP in the same game.

They fought valiantly, from the third turn on Lily blessed her fists with the Azure Flame (better 4 dice with 6 counting for two then 6 normal dice, I thought), they managed to go through the whole green deck and Shudde Me'll had ONLY 1 doom token left....4 miserable successes were needed! Remember that Rex didn't even fire a shot...the first red card had Shudde Me'll attacking first. There being no Earthquake markers left, the investigators, the city and its inhabitants were pulled under and Shudde Me'll stood, err, slithered, triumphant over the ruins.

It would have been a blast had the investigators attacked first during that last turn :P I'm sure they'd have pulled off FOUR miserable successes...

Ok, done hijacking the thread now! :D

• Lee418 likes this

#92 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,119 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 05:24 PM

Tox, what a game :D Shudde with a double gate opening on Mythos zero... :shudder: that's really a scary start. Too bad, you almost crushed the Great Worm in FB! If only Rex had not been LiTaS..

• Tox likes this

#93 Tox

Tox

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:33 AM

Yes, I panicked a little when I started the game and there were already 3 open gates, but then I said, "what the heck, there's only 1 doom token on his sheet anyway!"

Interestingly, my AOs usually wake up because of Too Many Gates Open, followed by Doom Track Filled. Unless I'm playing with Innsmouth, in which case it is Deep Ones Rising Track Filled :D:D But you already know that, we've been through it before :P This time, despite having 4 gates open at the end of the first turn, I never came close too awakening the AO through the open gates. I guess having that many open boosted my resolve to NOT allow that to happen. Also, De Vermiis Mysteriis :D:D

p.s. Oh, by the way, I tried tackling Yog+Lurker+DH+LatT+MH again (no Guardians or Institutions, because I felt confident..). This time I delved freely in the Dark Pacts. Result? Only 1 seal on the board instead of the 4 of the first time around :D BUT, I killed (once) the Dunwich Horror (with the Flute of the Outer Gods). Yog-Sothoth keeps eluding me..but I will find a way! Eventually... For now, I swapped Dunwich for Innsmouth for some good old aquatic fun.

Pictured: Yog-Sothoth gloating over his victory :D

p01b75lp.jpg

(Copyright: Science Photo Library)

Edited by Tox, 28 October 2013 - 11:06 AM.

• dj2.0 and Julia like this

#94 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,119 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:48 PM

The Flute is certainly well played against the DH. Actually, you can keep on spawning the Horror and use it to gain more and more ES... could be interesting in a Yog+Lurker game :D Sorry you lost again with Yog, though! Sooner or later, I have to give this a try (last weeks have been quite Descent-themed, and no Arkham scheduled until mid november. Uff)

#95 Tox

Tox

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:38 AM

You have a board-game schedule? :D Wow, you really are a dedicated gamer :D I know that when my urge to play Arkham arises, there's only so much I can do to postpone it until the weekend :P

My first choice for bringing down the Horror would have been the Blue Watcher of the Pyramid (yes, the group had that too, they were packing every Horror-killer available). But it's always more satisfying to bring it down through conventional means :) (maybe just with the addition of a Blessing..).

#96 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,119 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 03:40 AM

That's right, a chainsaw and a tank work well too! :D Ups, wrong boardgame, sorry :P :P :P

And yep, somehow I'm working on too many projects boardgaming related, so I need an agenda :D

Anyhooo... have you ever considered joining Avi's League? :)

#97 Tox

Tox

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 04:46 AM

That's right, a chainsaw and a tank work well too! :D Ups, wrong boardgame, sorry :P :P :P

And yep, somehow I'm working on too many projects boardgaming related, so I need an agenda :D

Anyhooo... have you ever considered joining Avi's League? :)

With my win/loss record? Hardly likely I'm going to be able to complete it :D But yes, I intend to give it a try, sooner or later :P

• dj2.0 likes this

#98 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,119 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:13 AM

:laughter: I think it's about the journey, not the destination :) But I got the message, happy to know it's something you could consider (sooner or later) :)

#99 Lee418

Lee418

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:35 AM

Lee, I hope you don't mind if I post a report in your thread. You can get a taste of what awaits you after you get Dunwich

No problem. I enjoyed reading your game report. What game!

BTW Dunwich is on the way. ;)  

• Julia likes this

#100 Tox

Tox

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:29 PM

:laughter: I think it's about the journey, not the destination :) But I got the message, happy to know it's something you could consider (sooner or later) :)

I just remembered, I don't have Curse of the Dark Pharaoh. I suspect it's needed to play the scenarios...am I mistaken?

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS