• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#61 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,503 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:17 AM

My success has inspired me to do another AO rotation. In a few of the games, especially those against Yig and Yog, I feel that I kind of stacked the deck in my favour by pre-selecting some or all of the investigators. My plan now is to play against each AO once more, but in random order this time.

Investigators will also be chosen randomly. But once used they will be not be included in the pool for the next game(s) until the pool has been completely exausted. With 16 investigators and 8 AO's that means each investigator will see action twice.

Also that way I can't continually pick Mandy Thompson. :wub:  :lol:

First of all, I'm really happy the game keeps on satisfying / entertaining you :)

As for the rules for selection... that's the way I play too. Additionally, if a certain team is defeated by an AO, I keep on repeating the game until I'm able to win. But that's my challenge, I want to be able to win any match with any starting team. Once I had Vincent top scorer in a victorious Rhan game, and man was it good! :D

So, good luck with that. Seems like you're on the right way to learn the game in the hard way, but this tempers great players. Go on with that :)

• Lee418 likes this
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#62 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,503 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:18 AM

Heed the words of Lady Julia...Madness and Injury cards are well worth the investment in Dunwich!

It's in my Amazon basket. I'm just waiting for it to come in stock. ;)

WELL DONE LEE! APPROVED :D

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#63 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,503 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:21 AM

Amanda wasn't too bad really. Especially after drawing the Find Gate spell during setup.

One investigator I still haven't made my mind up about is Dexter Drake. I usually leave him the Magick Shoppe on turn 1 to pick up an extra spell. But that often means he's not ready to go gate diving until around turn 6. His lack of initial clue tokens make him feel like an annonymous character sometimes who does little more than run around the board. Maybe I'm missing something.

Exactly. Amanda could seem lame or weak, but actually she's an interesting investigator. More or less like a puzzle: you need to find the key to use her properly. Her starting two skills can be game breaking in some cases. Clearly, sometimes she's just horrible, but still, she could also be a lot of fun.

Dexter... is somehow terrible unless you use PS and he manages to pass it. Then he's interesting. But if we consider only base game cards and stuff... well, I'd rather prefer picking up someone else...

#64 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,503 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:22 AM

Tox: you have a very strong party, and the Lurker can be a great ally. Go for it, hunt Yog down and explain him while Soap Bubbles are fun but not meant to last long :devil:

And tell us how the game ends!

#65 Lee418

Lee418

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:20 AM

First randomized rematch completed.

Yig versus Bob Jenkins, Mandy Thompson, Gloria Goldberg, and Vincent Lee. 

6 seals in 12 turns.

Doom 8.

Terror 2.

17 Points.

Not a bad game considering that I was essentially playing -1 investigator for the entire time. Gloria had an absolutely shocking game. On turn 1 she was assaulted by a Cultist (disguised Serpent dude) who sent her packing to St. Mary's. Then two turns later she was bushwhacked by the Sheldon Gang! For the rest of the game she just wandered around the board in a daze trying to pick up stray clue tokens here and there, but never seemed to be in the right place at the right time. Her only saving grace is that she managed to kill an Elder Thing in the East Town streets late in the game, allowing Bob an unobstructed run to the gate at Hibb's Roadhouse when time was getting short.

On the plus side Vincent received +1 Speed during setup and went on to seal two gates without a problem.  :)

Next up: Ithaqua versus -

Darrell Simmons, Jenny Barnes, Amanda Sharpe, and Sister Mary. :mellow:  

#66 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,503 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:45 AM

Well played! Despite Vincent and Gloria playing under her possibilities! Curious thing, you go with random investigators and you pick up Mandy *again* :laughter:

Anyway, good luck with the Ithaqua game. Not a bombastic party, I'm curious to read your report on the game :)

#67 Lee418

Lee418

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:21 AM

Well played! Despite Vincent and Gloria playing under her possibilities! Curious thing, you go with random investigators and you pick up Mandy *again* :laughter:

Anyway, good luck with the Ithaqua game. Not a bombastic party, I'm curious to read your report on the game :)

It's just a coincidence. The selection process was entirely random. It must be fate.  :lol:  But Mandy won't be available for re-selction until game 5 of the current AO rotation. I'll miss her....  :unsure:

I do agree that the new team doesn't look too great. Darrell is fine, and Amanda is ok I suppose. But Jenny is generally mediocre and slow. And Sister Mary probably couldn't fight her way out of a wet paper bag. And that's assuming she doesn't lose the Horror check first! :lol:      

#68 Tox

Tox

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:07 AM

It's just a coincidence. The selection process was entirely random. It must be fate.  :lol:  But Mandy won't be available for re-selction until game 5 of the current AO rotation. I'll miss her....  :unsure:

I do agree that the new team doesn't look too great. Darrell is fine, and Amanda is ok I suppose. But Jenny is generally mediocre and slow. And Sister Mary probably couldn't fight her way out of a wet paper bag. And that's assuming she doesn't lose the Horror check first! :lol:      

Jenny may be mediocre and slow, but she can afford to BUY excellency and speed :P

• Julia likes this

#69 Lee418

Lee418

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:29 PM

Ithaqua done again.

Investigators: Darrell Simmons, Jenny Barnes, Amanda Sharpe, and Sister Mary.

6 seals in 18 turns. (I thought it would never end! :rolleyes: )

Doom 7.

Terror 4.

18 points.

With Darrell and Amanda both drawing Elder Signs during setup I thought this game would be easy. But on two consecutive occasions Amanda had to face monsters in the OW that were impossible for her to evade or fight. After the second LiTaS she had an exteneded stay at St. Mary's (no money). But as soon as she was all healed up a Star Spawn moved out of the Woods and sat in the Uptown streets for turn after turn until Sister Mary was eventually able to get rid of it with the Blue Watcher of the Pyramid.

Jenny drew an Elder Sign late in the game, which was a real game saver. But things got a little tense towards the end. No sooner had Sister Mary dumped all her spells in the French Hill Streets to pass The Great Ritual, it was immediately replaced by Good Work Undone. :o  With only a couple of clue tokens and three difficult monsters in he Easttown Streets I had to trust to luck and hope that Jenny and Amanda got through the OW encounters without a hitch. But on her first OW encounter Amanda was delayed. And a bad roll saw two clue tokens placed placed on the Rumor card. Arrrrrggghhhh!!!! Jenny sealed the Science Building and Amanda got going again and had an easy encounter for a change. The next encounter was also passed, but only just. She returned to Arkham and finally used the Elder Sign.

A fun, nail biting game that was both exciting and frustrating in equal measure. I doubt I would have won without the help of 3 Elder Signs. But Amanda had an absolutely awful game which led to me playing once again with esentially -1 investigator.

• dj2.0 and Tox like this

#70 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,503 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:52 PM

A real nailbiter! Well played Lee! What's next now?

#71 dj2.0

dj2.0

• Members
  • 909 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:05 AM

One investigator I still haven't made my mind up about is Dexter Drake. I usually leave him the Magick Shoppe on turn 1 to pick up an extra spell. But that often means he's not ready to go gate diving until around turn 6. His lack of initial clue tokens make him feel like an annonymous character sometimes who does little more than run around the board. Maybe I'm missing something.

Marie. You are missing Marie. But you are on the way to fixing that with DH in your basket. Marie is just Dexs smarter little sister. Buuuut...you will need to buy Innsmouth as well to make her shine - her PS is saving my bacon every time I play lately. It really is worth sending her to the Magick shoppe for a coupla turns, even if that leaves her with 1 clue on turn 3 and none left in town to gather because everyone else grabbed them.

Seriously though, Dex has a number of design issues (Luck = nearly always outta; Sanity evaporates faster for him, etc) but none that really make him a bad choice, just that there are better ones if magic is your thing. His special is much better with a base game spell deck. Many expansions add a drekload of spells...so Find Gate is more like You Wont Find Gate.

Awesome achievement putting Ithaqua out in the cold btw! 2 rumours quashed too!

Edited by dj2.0, 23 October 2013 - 03:12 AM.

#72 Lee418

Lee418

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:27 PM

A real nailbiter! Well played Lee! What's next now?

Hastur versus

Joe Diamond, Monterey Jack, "Ashcan" Pete, and Dexter Drake.

6 seals in 24 turns.

Doom 8.

Terror 3.

20 points.

1 Elder Sign used and two Rumors passed.

Not much to say about this one really. But what a grind playing against Hastur. <_<  I think this might have been the longest game I've played so far. And it wasn't a particularly exciting game either. It was just a case of keeping the monsters under control and slowly but surely saving clue tokens. I think the overall strength of the investigator team may have contributed to the dullness.

Next: Shub-Niggurath versus -

Michael McGlen, Kate Winthrop, Carolyn Fern, and Harvey Walters.    

#73 Lee418

Lee418

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:37 PM

Marie. You are missing Marie. But you are on the way to fixing that with DH in your basket. Marie is just Dexs smarter little sister. Buuuut...you will need to buy Innsmouth as well to make her shine - her PS is saving my bacon every time I play lately.

I've already got Innsmouth. ;) But I haven't tried it yet. I've been saving it while gradually building up my experience with the base game. But after I complete the current AO rotation I think Innsmouth might be my next port of call.  

Unless I get my hands on Dunwich first. :)  

Edited by Lee418, 23 October 2013 - 03:24 PM.

• dj2.0 likes this

#74 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,503 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:42 PM

Aye, Hastur is just boring. Never happy to play a Hastur game. When you're done with this rotation, spice thing up and play with this four guys here:

a) + b) Newthulhu and Daoloth

c) Faster Hastur

d) Big Yig

(good luck with Yig)

Seal them away with random investigators, if you want some bigger challenge :)

And yup, after the core game, if you manage to get Dunwich, go with that. There's a specific reason for me to say this: Innsmouth Mythos focus on Innsmouth. No gates open on the main board, nor you have gate bursts there. So, basically, an Innsmouth only game is not particularly difficult because the game on the "main" board remains the same. Innsmouth is deadly when paired up with Kingsport (I believe IH+KH is much more difficult than IH+DH for many reasons eventhough it could just seem the other way round)

Anyway, congrats for sealing away Hastur :)

• dj2.0 likes this

#75 Lee418

Lee418

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:35 PM

I believe IH+KH is much more difficult than IH+DH for many reasons eventhough it could just seem the other way round

Really? I thought the IH+DH combo was meant to be more difficult because both boards contain unstable locations. I figured that was the reason why the rule book says to increase the number of gates that must be open at once to awaken the AO by one when specifically using those two boards.  

#76 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,503 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:42 PM

Yeah, it's believed to be so. Still, I totally disagree: with two boards in play, you risk to dilute too much the action over the boards so that in the end nothing is a real threat. The increased gate limit is also a big bonus. Finally, once you know a little about the game, you'll start hitting the gates fairly regularly, so that you can control everything. Kingsport on the other hand is quite brutal: the threat of rifts could become a major pain, and Kingsport Mythos will keep busy the main board, with tons of gates bursting or bouncing on seals, triggering Innsmouth. It's not like the two boards are incredibly difficult, but the interaction of the two, in the later turns of the game, can be totally deadly.

I'd say IH+DH becomes a more interesting problem with MH in. Until you add MH, shouldn't be that difficult to handle

• Lee418 likes this

#77 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,503 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:58 PM

Still, Tibs' statistics just say the other way round, IH+DH the most difficult while IH+KH is the easiest. Bah.

#78 dj2.0

dj2.0

• Members
  • 909 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:00 AM

I'm with you on this Julia. Although it would seem that DH-IH is the obvious winner because of the extra unstables, they do not always trigger on both boards, and when they do its usually a question of being fit to travel there - no big problem, and as you say, the IH Mythos have a flaw in that they are focused. But KH...those rifts will fill up. The question is only will it happen soon enough to cause significant problems. Do you want to risk ignoring it one more turn? Or do you not take any risk from the beginning and send a Kingsport sentinel over? And then, this often turns out to be the secondary concern, as KH throws something else out there that messes up Arkham. It often clogs more quickly with multi surges too, which are horrible game slowers.
  • Julia and Lee418 like this

#79 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,503 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:04 AM

It often clogs more quickly with multi surges too, which are horrible game slowers.

Exactly. Great point here, Dj: often, playing at a high level, you start hunting down the gates, and the most horrible thing that could happen are monster surges, because not only they slow down the game, but they fill up everything with monsters so that you actually don't lose only the "surging" round, but also a couple more rounds to dodge the monsters, kill some of them and so on. The monster tide keeps you away from gates (and in the meantime the rift threat keeps on increasing, and you know, if only you could reach The Rope and the Anchor to remove that token and then BAM the rift opens), so it's easier to lose control of the situation. On the other hand, having more options for gates to open, represent a sort of relief: you have the clues, then it's the same to go for Dunwich instead of going for Innsmouth (you take the bus, you move, you enter the gate. Identical), but you have lower odds to have Devil Reef surging and so on. Actually, I do believe the so called speed-Arkham, with all expansions in, is much easier than playing IH+KH or DH+KH (with MH in or not). We talked about this via mail with Avi a long time ago, and he was also of this idea: you can play 6 investigators like they were 4 and you have the gate limit increased by one and only one monster appearing / gate: how can you lose such a game? It's enough that each of the investigators seals one gate, and they should all have enough clues by the end of the 4th turn. If you play lower investigators it's even easier: you can play 4 like they were 2!! So you have a max of 5 monsters on the board and 6 to go in the Outskirts. Practically, if you play wisely and decide to keep a couple of pets running around town, it's almost impossible to lose for a surge from Devil Reef or other nasty issues. Innsmouth invasion bounces on you (yeah, you'll have some boost in terror, but basically it's very difficult to have problems because of the DOR track), and the game protects you from the monsters, so that you can only focus on gates.

I wish Jgt could be with us now, this is a discussion he'd love to join. Return soon to us, my friend!

• dj2.0 and Lee418 like this

#80 Lee418

Lee418

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:10 PM

Shub-Niggurath versus -

Michael McGlen, Kate Winthrop, Carolyn Fern, and Harvey Walters. 

6 seals in 14 turns.

Doom 6.

Terror 2.

17 points(?)

An unexpectedly easy-ish game. A tooled up Michael McGlen was just awesome in the streets of Arkham. Wiping the floor with monsters left, right and centre, despite the toughness increase. While Kate, Carolyn, and Harvey were all very effective gate sealers.

There's one thing I'm not 100% sure about though. Do investigators LiTaS count towards the final score?

On the penultimate turn Micheal McGlen moved to Independence Square to get rid of a Dimensional Shambler and to clear the way for Harvey. There was also a gate to Yuggoth at that location. Both Michael and Harvey entered at the same time. But on the next turn Harvey cast Find Gate and then sealed with Michael still inside.  

Edited by Lee418, 24 October 2013 - 01:12 PM.

• Tox likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS