Life after Azathoth

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#41 Lee418

Lee418

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:52 PM

You remind me to invoke a mantra of these parts so ancient that only the gods could remember the fiery crack from whence it came (Millmaster): "Special checks are skill checks but skill checks are not special checks". Iä!

Thanks for the reminder! :)

#42 Lee418

Lee418

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:08 PM

Yog is interesting. Certainly the most difficult from the core set. Break a leg, and let us know :)

Actually Yog wasn't all that bad.

The same team as before. 6 seals in 14 turns. Doom track 8. Terror 0. 21 points.

The game would probably have ended a couple of turns earlier, but Bob Jenkins slipped while exploring the Abyss and lost all 6 points of stamina due to an unlucky dice roll. :rolleyes:  Fortunately Kate Winthrop entered Another Dimension on the same turn and passed through without incident to seal Independence Square. Slamming the gate in Yog's face!  

Last but not least: Shub-Niggurath. :wacko:  I tried Shub when I was still very new to the game and got absolutely hammered. But I'm feeling confident about the rematch. 

#43 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,215 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:19 PM

Congrats for the victory!

Allow me to ask you a question (since it's quite a common error, it's just a way to help): have you played correctly Yog's ability? Often people tend to read the increase in difficulty for closing gates by 1 as an increment in the modifier (R'lyeh from -3 becomes a -4); instead it's meant you need an extra success to close that gate (so R'lyeh becomes -3 [2], which is not that easy)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#44 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:20 PM

All cognac is brandy, but not all brandy is cognac...

• dj2.0 likes this

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#45 Lee418

Lee418

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:35 AM

Allow me to ask you a question (since it's quite a common error, it's just a way to help): have you played correctly Yog's ability? Often people tend to read the increase in difficulty for closing gates by 1 as an increment in the modifier (R'lyeh from -3 becomes a -4); instead it's meant you need an extra success to close that gate (so R'lyeh becomes -3 [2], which is not that easy)

Yes I was playing correctly. :)  In fact before the game began I rechecked the FAQ (page 12) just to make sure. 

Thankfully I didn't draw R'lyeh from the stack. Gates to Yuggoth -2[2] and The Abyss -2[2] were tough to close. But Mandy's Reasearch ability came in handy on several occasions. She really does help compensate against Yog's gate modifier.

Edit: I should also add that Kate stayed at the Science Building on turn 1 reading a tome. The lucky girl was Blessed by the panicky professor in the Alchemy Department and kept it for the entire game.

Edited by Lee418, 18 October 2013 - 05:03 AM.

#46 Lee418

Lee418

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:43 AM

And while we are on the subject, I do realise that Shub-Niggurath's slumber ability is very similar to Yog's. It requires on extra success to defeat a monster in combat, but their combat ratings are unchanged. For example a Ghoul -1[1] becomes -1[2].

I still subtract 1 die from my combat dice, but need to roll 2 successes to defeat the Ghoul.

• Julia likes this

#47 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,215 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:53 AM

Aye, correct on both points :) Glad you got the nuance :)

And wait to see the marvellous split gates arriving with the Lurker at the Threshold... The R'lyeh / The Abyss split gate is -4, with Yog in play becomes -4 [2], and with Yog and R'lyeh Rising becomes a -4 [3]... NIGHTMARE...

And actually, Mandy does help a lot :) Maybe you could consider playing some game with random investigators, as you finish this AOs rotation?

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#48 Lee418

Lee418

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:31 AM

Maybe you could consider playing some game with random investigators, as you finish this AOs rotation?

Will do. :)

Picked at random: Dexter Drake, Vincent Lee, Amanda Sharpe, and 'Ashcan' Pete.

Hardly an inspiring line up. With useless Vincent and 'bland' Amanda in the same team I think Arkham is doomed. :lol: I will give it a shot though.  

#49 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,215 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:45 AM

G'd luck with that. It's not a bad team, though. Amanda could be an interesting character if you're willing to invest in her skills, and Ashcan is awesome to recover King in Yellow from the bottow of the pile :) Focus on gates :) You can beat it :)

#50 Lee418

Lee418

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 03:45 PM

Shub-Niggurath done! :)

6 seals in 15 turns. Doom 7. Terror 4. 19 Points.

Early seals on Independence Square and the Witch House came in really handy this time. One thing I noticed during the game was that even though clue tokens dried up on the board they were never difficult to obtain due to the raising of the monster toughness. Reaching the 5 toughness mark was a regular thing. I've never made so many trades at the Science Building before.

Ashcan is awesome to recover King in Yellow from the bottow of the pile :)

In my case it was the Old Journal. Ashcan discarded and reaquired the same one 3 times. His ability to draw from the bottom of the deck is so useful. It's really changed my opinion of him. Before I was a little put off by his slow movement.

Unfortunately he met his Waterloo in the Southside streets fighting an annoying Elder Thing that had been floating around the board for some time. I decided to let Ashcan take the sanity hit and put his Fight to max. With the Sword of Glory I thought it would be a mere formality. Instead it was a one way trip to St. Mary's, minus the Sword. :rolleyes:   

• dj2.0 likes this

#51 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,215 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:31 PM

Very well played Lee! With not exactly an awesome party, you should be proud of the result achieved!

(and ladies and gentlemen we finally have Dunwich reprinted & available! You could start considering adding Injuries & Madnesses)

#52 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:12 PM

Heed the words of Lady Julia...Madness and Injury cards are well worth the investment in Dunwich!

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#53 dj2.0

dj2.0

• Members
  • 909 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 12:04 AM

Congratulations on your admirable and valiant victory! Shub is no walk in the park, more like the forest is eating you alive, especially when "a monster appears!" So often that means you are a snack. Well done!
As for Pete and Amanda, both get my approval. Pete is slow but you can often find him a little extra speed, and even if you don't there is usually at least 1 decent item you can recycle, plus, shopping with him is actually fun - I am a bloke after all - as is simple drawing, as you have this "shall I/shan't I?" flirtation happening with the bottom of the decks.
Trust me on Amanda - she looks far less attractive with her base game make-up on. Once you get her a few extra tricks with the expansions, her skillz be very juicy. You can end up with skills that are essentially mini blessings for specific checks but are much harder to lose, or skills that exhaust to give automatic successes, or which exhaust to absorb losses. And if you then send her for tuition lessons and equip her well enough, she starts looking like Kathy Bates in Misery.

#54 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,215 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 02:48 AM

You can end up with skills that are essentially mini blessings for specific checks but are much harder to lose

Not to mention that you can boost these skills with real blessing and then, oh, my (Elder) God...

Loved the Misery line :)

• dj2.0 likes this

#55 Tox

Tox

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 03:59 AM

Aye, correct on both points :) Glad you got the nuance :)

And wait to see the marvellous split gates arriving with the Lurker at the Threshold... The R'lyeh / The Abyss split gate is -4, with Yog in play becomes -4 [2], and with Yog and R'lyeh Rising becomes a -4 [3]... NIGHTMARE...

And actually, Mandy does help a lot :) Maybe you could consider playing some game with random investigators, as you finish this AOs rotation?

I was thinking the same thing. If you add the Lurker herald, it's an additional -1 to the check. Is it doable? And by that I mean, have you Julia defeated that combination? :D

Most split gates would become -3 [2], with the worst being -5 [2], not counting R'lyeh Rising in play (what are the chances?..).

• Julia likes this

#56 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,215 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:25 AM

The odds are quite low, but still, you know how lovely the board and the deck can be when you don't need a certain card to enter play :laughter:

I haven't played Lurker and Yog yet (but I will, even if it's not in my immediate future, I have to finish all the Dagon + Hydra cycle before moving to a different Herald), but yes, it should be doable. You can Elder Sign it :P :P

More seriously... you need some blessing. And push a little the Lurker (i.e. have clues for sealing and generate power to add extra dice while rolling). And clearly choose wisely the sealer for that gate.

Clearly you need to be patient, and maybe leave that gate open for a while (hopefully it's not a -5[2] open at Devil Reef, otherwise it's practically game over) and try to work with some stuff, if possible (Sigil of Hermes Trismegistus, or other stuff).

Sounds challenging, though. Great to be played with Aiv's Kerathimel or my 'Umr at-Tawil.

Ugh. Ok, now I want to play. Sigh. Mansions scheduled for today, maybe tomorrow...

#57 Lee418

Lee418

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:48 AM

Very well played Lee! With not exactly an awesome party, you should be proud of the result achieved!

Thanks Julia. :)

My success has inspired me to do another AO rotation. In a few of the games, especially those against Yig and Yog, I feel that I kind of stacked the deck in my favour by pre-selecting some or all of the investigators. My plan now is to play against each AO once more, but in random order this time.

Investigators will also be chosen randomly. But once used they will be not be included in the pool for the next game(s) until the pool has been completely exausted. With 16 investigators and 8 AO's that means each investigator will see action twice.

Also that way I can't continually pick Mandy Thompson. :wub:  :lol:

#58 Lee418

Lee418

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:51 AM

Heed the words of Lady Julia...Madness and Injury cards are well worth the investment in Dunwich!

It's in my Amazon basket. I'm just waiting for it to come in stock. ;)

#59 Lee418

Lee418

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:04 AM

As for Pete and Amanda, both get my approval.

Amanda wasn't too bad really. Especially after drawing the Find Gate spell during setup.

One investigator I still haven't made my mind up about is Dexter Drake. I usually leave him the Magick Shoppe on turn 1 to pick up an extra spell. But that often means he's not ready to go gate diving until around turn 6. His lack of initial clue tokens make him feel like an annonymous character sometimes who does little more than run around the board. Maybe I'm missing something.

#60 Tox

Tox

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:21 AM

As for Pete and Amanda, both get my approval.

Amanda wasn't too bad really. Especially after drawing the Find Gate spell during setup.

One investigator I still haven't made my mind up about is Dexter Drake. I usually leave him the Magick Shoppe on turn 1 to pick up an extra spell. But that often means he's not ready to go gate diving until around turn 6. His lack of initial clue tokens make him feel like an annonymous character sometimes who does little more than run around the board. Maybe I'm missing something.

Maybe you can have him dive into the early low-frequency gates until he has enough trophies to trade for clues. No clues early on, but more clues later.

Julia, I've set up Yog and the Lurker against the randomly selected Skids, Minh, Ursula and Darrell, watched over by Nodens and the Miskatonic University, with Lurker gates and the DH, LatT and MH expansions in play. I think it's going to be a massacre but one can always hope his 102nd game is going to be a (rare) win :)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS