Life after Azathoth

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#21 Lee418

Lee418

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 05:46 AM

Cool! Well done, you might like to try out the Arkham Nights Cthulhu sometime, a little upgrade but much the same tactics are required. I take it you are randomly selecting investigators? If so I would suggest abandoning that , it can be really hard stuck with Vincent, Pete, Carolyn, Harvey and/or Jenny and finding you can only limp around town as Yigs Doom track goes up like a rocket...

I will have a look at Arkham Nights after I've got a little more experience with the base game AO's.

As for selecting investigators.... At one point I kept playing with the same small group and kind of got into a 'comfort zone' with them that was limiting my understanding of Arkham. Stability is good at first when you're learning the ropes, but it becomes a limitation after a while. So I tried picking completely random teams, but that ended in disaster more often than not. One game against Hastur was an absolute debacle and I haven't picked Sister Mary since. <_<

Recently I've been hand picking two favourite investigators and then randomly selecting two more from the group that I wouldn't normally pick. If I didn't do that they would probably never leave the box.

For the next game against Nyarlathotep I've picked Michael McGlen and Darrell Simmons. The 'random dudds' are Carolyn Fern and Harvey Walters. I've never played Harvey before. He looks like he will be a good spell caster, but  with max 3 Speed one of his fixed possessions should be a zimmer frame. :lol:   

• dj2.0 likes this

#22 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:53 AM

Nyarly: nope, there is nothing that you're missing. I guess point is that Masks should be ways for Nyarly to show his face to the world, so, in fact, each Mask is the same God, so thematically... don't know really. Anyhoo, if you play Nyarly, remember to add all Masks to the cup, not only those coming with the core game :)

Quick question: If all the Mask monsters are essentially manifestations of Nyarlathotep, does the John Legrasse ally card still allow an investigator to claim them as trophies?  

Yes. Point is that Masks were designed without the idea of "Spawn" monsters in play, hence they are simply Endless monsters. John Legrasse, Petrifying solution or Encounters instructing you to gain a monster trophy even if Endless affect 100% Mask monsters (there are some custom Heralds able to fix this - some of them are pretty neat - but for now go with the normal rules!)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#23 Lee418

Lee418

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 02:56 PM

Nyarlathotep done! :D

6 seals in 14 turns, with 8 tokens on the doom track. Game score: 25 points.

Next up Hastur or  maybe Ithaqua.

• dj2.0 likes this

#24 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:13 PM

Not bad at all! Well done! Who did you play with? Did any Mask enter play?

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#25 Lee418

Lee418

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 05:05 PM

Not bad at all! Well done! Who did you play with? Did any Mask enter play?

Michael McGlen, Darrell Simmons, Carolyn Fern, and Harvey Walters.

Three Mask monsters appeared: The Bloated Woman, The Black Man, and The Dark Pharoah. Michael McGlen defeated the first two, while the third was sent home due to a gate closure.

The Black Man had me confused for a moment though. On the back of his counter it says, "Before making a Horror check, pass a Luck (-1) check or be devoured." But he doesn't have a horror rating. :huh:

Michael passed the Luck check, so I awarded him 2 Clue tokens and put The Black Man back in the cup. Did I do that right, or did I mess up?

#26 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 05:17 PM

You played correctly. Encountering the Black Man is essentially trying your Luck. You can't really defeat him, but if you're Lucky enough, he'll offer you some help. If you're not.. well, you were a good supper. Generally speaking, you start any combat by testing Horror. The wording on the token suggests that before anything starts (normally: Combat), you have to test Luck, and if you pass, no combat takes place (and neither if you fail...)

You got a strong party. Did you play with PS as well?

Man, I'm feeling such a deep nostalgia for the time I had to start discovering the game... It's so good to have new forces joining the defense of Arkham-Alamo and reading your stories :)

#27 Lee418

Lee418

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:01 AM

You got a strong party. Did you play with PS as well?

PS ? :huh:

One thing I've been trying to do since joining this forum is learn all the different AH accronyms. Most of the time it's easy, but this time I'm stumped. What does PS stand for? 

#28 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:48 AM

Sorry :D PS = Personal Stories

Yeah, I guess we talk some sort of obscure technical language from time to time, sorry, it's not intended to be for initiates indeed.. oh, well, you joined the cult, didn't you? :P :P :P :P :P

#29 Lee418

Lee418

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:29 PM

Sorry :D PS = Personal Stories

Yeah, I guess we talk some sort of obscure technical language from time to time, sorry, it's not intended to be for initiates indeed.. oh, well, you joined the cult, didn't you? :P :P :P :P :P

Ah gotcha! No I didn't use PS.

I did beat Hastur today though. But it took two attempts. The first game started bad and then got worse. I abandoned it in absolute disgust. :angry:  But a couple of hours later I put Hastur away with 6 seals in 15 turns. An 18 point game. :D

The star of the game was Gloria Goldberg who evaded 3 Dark Young at the Unvisted Isle to enter the Abyss. A couple of turns later she returned to Arkham and sealed the gate, sending the Three Stooges back home. :lol:

Monterey Jack, "Ashcan" Pete, and Dexter Drake performed well too.

Drawing 2 Elder Signs during investigator setup helped quite a bit because clue tokens became very scarce at the end. 8 tokens to seal a gate is a real pain.

Next up: Ithaqua.   

#30 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:54 PM

Indeed, it's vital to have at least one ES in a Hastur game (otherwise it will take a life gathering the 48 clues needed to seal everything :D ). Anyway, spectacular Gloria dodging the youngsters at the Isle :D

Good luck with the refrigerator!

#31 Lee418

Lee418

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:07 AM

Anyway, spectacular Gloria dodging the youngsters at the Isle :D

It was the turning point of the game. But she had a little help from +1 Sneak skill, An Evil Fog, and the Voice of Ra.

#32 Lee418

Lee418

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:03 AM

OMG...... I've just realized that 'An Evil Fog' adds +1 to Sneak checks. But I added that to Gloria's evade checks.

I think I messed up big time. :(

#33 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:10 AM

I don't think so. Evade checks are a subset of Sneak checks, and whatever infuences Sneak, influences Evade as well (unless it's specifically stated on the the card. Telescope immediately comes to mind)

#34 Lee418

Lee418

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:38 AM

Thanks Julia. Yes you're absolutely right. Special skills (Evade, Horror, etc.) are a subset of the normal Skills. A modifier to a Skill also applies to a related special skill, but not vice versa. 

Just when I think I've got the rules down, I get confused. :lol:  Oh well, it is Monday morning after all. :wacko:

#35 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:48 AM

Yup, don't worry, Arkham has countless nuances and it's easy to get confused :) Keep playing!

#36 Lee418

Lee418

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:27 PM

Ithaqua done! :D

No random investigators this time. All were hand picked.

The A Team: Joe Diamond, Mandy Thompson, Bob Jenkins, and Kate Winthrop.

6 seals in 9 turns. 20 points. Doom track 7. Terror track never moved.

My fastest and most successful game so far. At approx 1 hour and 30 minutes it was at least an hour shorter than yesterday's grind against Hastur. 

Next up: Yig. :angry:

#37 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:24 PM

Well done Lee! Sounds like you're mastering the basics (plus, you had *the* dream team, Joe and Mandy can blast almost everything)

Good luck with the snake!

#38 Lee418

Lee418

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:51 PM

Yig done............., but not how I expected. :huh:

With Yig's short Doom track and the potential for it to fill up rapidly I was expecting to play speed Arkham on steroids, but instead it turned out to be a leisurely stroll. Almost an anticlimax really. 

Once again Joe Diamond, Mandy Thompson, Bob Jenkins, and Kate Winthrop were in action. Mandy moved to The Unnamable on the first turn and a gate opened right under her feet. Not long after she was back in Arkham and sealed the gate, with Joe sealing the Graveyard next. Shortly after Bob Jenkins picked up a second Old Journal and went on to seal the gate at the Black Cave, while Kate took care of The Witch House. And after that the game just kind of died.

For a while there was only one gate open at the The Unvisisted Isle, which had a mini Jenga stack of surge monsters on it until they finally dispersed. In the meanwhile everyone crowded into the Science Building to sell their gate and monster trophies. Bob conducted a quick clean up of the Merchant district streets, and with the coast clear, Joe slipped into the Unvisited Isle. That left Mandy and Kate twiddling their thumbs at the Asylum. Joe sealed the gate and another one opened up at Independence Square. Finally something to do! Kate was in and out while everyone else just wandered the streets.

6 seals in 12 turns. Only 6 tokens on the doom track. While the terror track reached 5, but that was due a Disturbing the Dead rumor card. 14 points.

Next: Yog-Sothoth. :blink:   

Edited by Lee418, 15 October 2013 - 04:00 PM.

#39 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:39 PM

Good. As you see, once you know how to move your investigators, vanilla Arkham is rather easy. Sealing high frequency locations gives you a lot of time to respite. Additionally, with only 11 unstable locations on the board (hence, a max of 11 doomers), if you close gates only when you have enough clues for sealing, it's almost ever game over. The nastiest stuff that could happen is the No One Can Help you Now Mythos, but if you have some seals on the board already, you can focus on a victory by closing gates.

Yog is interesting. Certainly the most difficult from the core set. Break a leg, and let us know :)

#40 dj2.0

dj2.0

• Members
  • 909 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:00 AM

Thanks Julia. Yes you're absolutely right. Special skills (Evade, Horror, etc.) are a subset of the normal Skills. A modifier to a Skill also applies to a related special skill, but not vice versa. 

You remind me to invoke a mantra of these parts so ancient that only the gods could remember the fiery crack from whence it came (Millmaster): "Special checks are skill checks but skill checks are not special checks". Iä!

Edited by dj2.0, 17 October 2013 - 03:00 AM.

• Julia and Lee418 like this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS