DH to RT

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Rimmer1

Rimmer1

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:21 AM

I am abou to start introducing some RT elements to my DH (1ed) game, mainly around Spaceships and Vehicles, and possibly some of the weapons.

What is the power difference between DH and RT characters and eqiupment?

For reference my PC's are all around 5-6 level.

Cheers

Lord Inquisitor - Sometimes a Bolter is not the only, nor best answer my Acolyte.

Acolyte - Yes my Lord, that is why I requisitioned a Melta Gun, Plasma Pistol and Vortex Grenades

Lord Inquisitor - Your not even listening are you?

Acolyte - How are you with Archeotech?

#2 Morangias

Morangias

• Members
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:51 AM

As long as you don't try to port PCs from the other game, you're golden - everything else will work just fine.

There is no truth in flesh, only betrayal.

There is no strenght in flesh, only weakness.
There is no constancy in flesh, only decay.
There is no certainty in flesh but death.

#3 Angel of Death

Angel of Death

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:20 PM

The gear and equipment should work for DH, but as Morangias says the PC will not blend well

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

#4 Surak

Surak

• Members
  • 335 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:34 AM

Hi,

I've always mixed the 40K rps in my game, usually fairly freely. As has been said before the gear transfers over just fine, as do npc's. PC's can work prefectly fine from RT to DH, I've done it. The GM just needs to keep in mind that the first rank of RT starts around 5K exp, and the RT game assumes a slightly higher exp per session than DH.

Regards

Surak

Knowledge is power, and power corrupts.Therefore library's are the source of all evil.

My DH beta 2 aptitude calc is here https://drive.google...dit?usp=sharing

Part of the TeamACES youtube channel http://www.youtube.c...Ha0q8lrmTRGATFA

#5 Rimmer1

Rimmer1

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:05 AM

So, in summary, no major problems with equipment, but DH characters with RT characters, rules wise are different, so keep them seperate, as in no choosing skills and talents from the other book, stick to your own, and the average starting character from RT will be about the 5k experiance level of DH.

Sweet.

Lord Inquisitor - Sometimes a Bolter is not the only, nor best answer my Acolyte.

Acolyte - Yes my Lord, that is why I requisitioned a Melta Gun, Plasma Pistol and Vortex Grenades

#6 Morangias

Morangias

• Members
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:57 PM

Just to clarify, the problem is that RT characters are quite weak compared to DH characters of equivalent experience value. This is due to three things:

1. They generally draw from the same pool of Skills and Talents, but got the good stuff locked behind higher ranks.

2. RT careers are very focused, whereas DH careers are extremely broad.

3. RT careers price the same advances much higher than DH - practically everything in RT above Rank 1 costs 200 xp or more, with really good stuff costing 500xp or more. As such, expect DH characters to pick up roughly two advances for every one advance the RT characters pick.

Put them in a mixed game and it creates a rather absurd situation where the theoretical best of the best, movers and shakers that make up RT bridge crew will regularly be upstaged by theoretical rank and file guys from DH.

That isn't to say you can't let DH characters pick up RT skills and Talents as Elite Advancements. That won't break anything, save for two or three Talents that simply don't make sense outside of RT setting-specific subsystems.

#7 Rimmer1

Rimmer1

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:26 AM

Cheers

#8 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:34 AM

So, in summary, no major problems with equipment, but DH characters with RT characters, rules wise are different, so keep them seperate, as in no choosing skills and talents from the other book, stick to your own, and the average starting character from RT will be about the 5k experiance level of DH.

Sweet.

No matter what the books say, a 5000xp Dark Heresy character is not comparable to the starting "5000xp" Rogue Trader character(s).

This is best exemplified by rolling up any random Rogue Trader character, and then making your own Dark Heresy character and assigning it 5000xp, and then spend it.

The Rogue Trader characters will have higher base Characteristics (+5) and thus higher caps (since you get a maximum of +20, 4*5 Advances). The Dark Heresy characters will have many, many more skills and be far more focused. Dark Heresy advances are cheaper, and as you advance a character, you will focus on the things that are relevant to said character.

This is a luxury the Rogue Trader characters simply don't get. It doesn't help the Arch-Militant that he has Universal weapons training (save Flame), since he likely will only be using one-two, maybe three different kinds of weapons - and no Rogue Trader character has complete control over what those "4500xp" starting experience has been spent on.

It'll be things like Carouse or Decadence, or Common Lores and you-never-know-what-else. These might be appropriate for your character, but they might also not be. The point is that it's slightly out of your hands.

In essence, while the rules between the various lines mesh fairly well and you can port almost everything just straight over, player characters shouldn't be mixed without significant tweaking. A Dark Heresy character is a massive skillmonkey with lower caps compared to a Rogue Trader character, with a metric ton of tricks up his sleeve.

I would suggest converting the careers if you want them, but with the Career-based system in DH/RT, that's potentially time-consuming, crafting and balancing each Rank. But it's also the best solution.

Cheers and good luck.
  • Morangias likes this

Real men earn their fun

Unified WH40kRP Ruleset Homebrew - Personal Notes
Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.
These things are dumb and do not exist. This is non-negotiable and undebatable.

#9 Rimmer1

Rimmer1

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 02:53 AM

Cheers for the advice guys. While i will be porting over all sorts of equipment and weapons, and maybe a few elite advances where appropriate, all the PC's are DH type, any RT types will be NPC support characters.

Not that i should come up, but the Psi system in RT is quite a bit different than DH, which do you think is better, as a house rule, I am already letting the PC Psyker use his powers at a Fettered level, the other two PC's are very very happy with this.

#10 Morangias

Morangias

• Members
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:21 AM

Out of these two - RT, all the way.

Note, the problem with introducing fettered/unfettered/push manifestations to DH psychic rules is, DH psychic powers don't scale their effect with Psy Rating, and as such there's no real downside to keeping your powers at Fettered all the time - beyond the sheer chance to just fail, that is, but that problem becomes increasingly more manageable as characters rise in ranks.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS