• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Chaplain

Chaplain

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:19 AM

Hi

I would like to share my idea about BC adventure and hopefully get some tips before I actually start GMing people through it.

A system-wide chaos invasion in Imperial space led by powerful and cunning sorceror was going exceptionally well - loyalist forces surrendering, defecting and getting massacred on all fronts, the capital spire turned into hopeless last stand ground by surrounded remnants of astartes, guardsmen, sororitas and civilians with nothing more than a basic training, a gun and unwillingness to admit defeat.

And then something which the sorceror failed to foresaw happened - mortally wounded sister of battle miraculously came back to life as Living Saint, unkillable heretic-purging machine. For chaos forces this is a problem that must be dealt with before slaves of the corpse-emperor regroup themselves - and that's when PCs, one of the warbands the sorceror have already used for delicate tasks appear on stage to fight back the unexpected foe.

It quckly becomes obvious that Living Saint is invulnerable to regular weapons - she can barely notice heavy bolter fire and shrugs off artillery shells. Direct macrocannon hit from Iconoclast destroyer orbiting the battle? She resurrects in a matter of seconds, and this bolsters loyalist's morale even more.

Sooner or later, whether from divination, forbidden tomes or common reason, PCs realise that the only way to deal with the problem is to use the trick servants of the Dark Gods used through the whole Long War - corruption. Forcing the Living Saint to assault holy imperial shrine secured intact by warband, capturing and using her fellow sisters as meatshilds when facing her and every single dirty trick the PCs can come up with adds up to Living Saint's Dark Heresy-style corruption track. When the track reaches 100 mark - she is no longer a Living Saint, and where she once stood, a sister of battle bleeds to her death, days before what's left of imperial resistance is overwhelmed.

I am the man who arranges the blocks

#2 Gurkhal

Gurkhal

• Members
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:59 AM

The idea of corrupting and Imperial saint is very, very cool. But I would probably not make her as invincible as she sounds as that could easily make the players just give up and look for softer targets.

#3 Keffisch

Keffisch

• Members
  • 819 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:16 AM

I agree with Gurkhal,

I would prefer if her abilities were more mysterious/mystical and that you somehow manage to keep the PCs away from direct confrontation with her.

Have them work to destroy the legend that surrounds this saint and THEN maybe have them meet her in person?

#4 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 02:38 PM

I would make the saint be already corrupted by some otehr force, unbeknownst to the players.

Or mind controlled by Enslavers or suchlike.

#5 Amroth

Amroth

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:02 PM

Yeah as Bogi Khaosa said probably a good idea to have her powers actually come from another source that the players can break down and expose her as a charleton.

If she had really ascended to becoming a living saint she probably would be beyond corruption. Not that the characters couldn't use deception and subterfuge to destroy her legend through lies and then have her own Imperial followers turn on her, further destroying the legacy of the false Emperor. That would be fun too.

#6 Chaplain

Chaplain

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:12 AM

Good points, thanks.

I would probably not make her as invincible as she sounds as that could easily make the players just give up and look for softer targets.

Less likely, I think. My players are more than a bit tzeentchy and are less likely to apply force directly or rush into combat and more likely to search all available keys to the most difficult enigma at hand. Still true if applied to more warrior-ish characters and players.

I am the man who arranges the blocks

#7 Magnus Grendel

Magnus Grendel

The Empire Needs You!

• Members
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:27 AM

If she had really ascended to becoming a living saint she probably would be beyond corruption. Not that the characters couldn't use deception and subterfuge to destroy her legend through lies and then have her own Imperial followers turn on her, further destroying the legacy of the false Emperor. That would be fun too.

"She's a witch! May we burn her?"

Hey, it worked with Joan of Arc...

Of course - slight change of plot - the other option is that she isn't a Living Saint yet. Mess up the course of events so that she doesn't become one (preferably without creating an influential and motivational Martyr instead, please). Tzeench is quite good at getting his retribution in pre-emptively, if that's not a contradiction in terms. And if it is...who cares, it's Tzeench, plans that are a contradiction in terms are pretty normal...

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS