Chirurgeon VS Techpriest

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 GauntZero

GauntZero

• Members
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:10 AM

Just wanted to get some more oppinions on this topic.

As far as I understand, the Chirurgeon role and the Sage role would match best to play a "classical" Techpriest (if you set aside rather specialized versions like e.g. the Crimson Guard, Secutors or Mech Assassins).

The Sage rather fulfills the role of a Techpriest who is more into theories and logic.

The Chirurgeon is rather what I would call a Magos Biologis.

But what would be the best role to play a classical Techpriest, who is primarily a mechanist / mechanical engineer ?

From a crafting point of view, I would also see this role inside the chirurgeon - this would lead to the problem though, that there is no differentiation between the Biologis and the mechanical fraction...

Furthermore, Chirurgeons always have this "healer"-factor...

Wouldnt it be better to give 2 options when taking the chirurgeon role (maybe 2 special abilities to chose from ?)) ?

One that is rather a biologis/medic, and one that is rather an engineer/mechanic ?

Or you make an additional "Technician"-role, which differs from the chirurgeon.

In my oppinion, the technician aspect is too much merged with the medic aspect.

Same if I want to play an Imperial Guardsman who is into vehicles.

I currently miss a role for that (adding the fact that the new rules seem the emphasize vehicles more, this is double-odd).

As I type this, I am getting the oppinion, that it indeed might be best to make a seperate role for "Technician", which also includes a good skill with vehicles in general.

What do you think ?

Respect your brothers and you will also be respected.

#2 Morangias

Morangias

• Members
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 04:38 AM

Sage has cheap Tech Use and a useful special rule. Just sayin'.

There is no truth in flesh, only betrayal.

There is no strenght in flesh, only weakness.
There is no constancy in flesh, only decay.
There is no certainty in flesh but death.

#3 GauntZero

GauntZero

• Members
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:15 AM

A usefull special rule yes - but no relation to technical expertise or vehicle/machine focus.

He is also just an average Pilot (although he is still better than the CHirurgeon, who really sucks in this field).

Also...maybe it is just me...but the picture of a Sage in my head does not wield a tool in his hand; at least not one that is not intended to write... ;)

I rather related the Tech-Use expertise towards "IT"-skills (using cogitators for data analysis etc.).

I myself wouldnt mess up Sage, Chirurgeon and Technician.

If you give a Chirurgeon a special role, a Technician would also rather be one...

Edited by GauntZero, 07 October 2013 - 05:15 AM.

#4 Tom Cruise

Tom Cruise

• Members
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:45 AM

I'd say Sage is a perfect fit. It's important to consider that the central tenet of the Priesthood of Mars faith is the pursuit of knowledge.

The Cult Mechanicus originated during the Age of Strife. According to its teachings, knowledge is the supreme manifestation of divinity, and all creatures and artefacts that embody knowledge are holy because of it. Machines that preserve knowledge from ancient times are also holy, and machine intelligences are no less divine than those of flesh and blood. A man's worth is only the sum of his knowledge - his body is simply an organic machine capable of preserving intellect.

That's just from the Lexicanum article, but it summarises things pretty well, and I can easily find this stuff in GW approved sources if you want. Point is, Techpriests aren't just mechanics in robes, they're people who are religiously obsessed with the pursuit of knowledge. So Sage is a perfect fit.

They get cheap Logic, Medicae, Tech-Use and Remembrance. That really covers all the core skills of your typical Techpriest. Cheap Intelligence too.

I really don't see the need for another Role, when Sage does the job fine. 

Edited by Tom Cruise, 07 October 2013 - 05:45 AM.

• yggZ likes this

#5 GauntZero

GauntZero

• Members
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:55 AM

And how do you build an Enginseer then ?

Or an Ex-Imperial Guard Pilot ?

Or a Reclaimator ?

Those would all be good opportunities for a Technician role to shine.

#6 Morangias

Morangias

• Members
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:44 AM

And how do you build an Enginseer then ?

Or an Ex-Imperial Guard Pilot ?

Or a Reclaimator ?

Those would all be good opportunities for a Technician role to shine.

Enginseer is pretty much the bog-standard tech-priest on temporary loan to Departmento Munitorum, so Sage still works.

Reclaimator is an outcast scrounger, so I guess Desperado is the way to go.

I don't know what the pilot has to do with either AdMech or a hypothetical mechanic role.

#7 GauntZero

GauntZero

• Members
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:38 AM

Reclaimator: Outcast Background fully agreed; but Desperado...? I dont know...not really hitting the spot. This guy is a tech-dabbler, not a gunslinger-kind.

Nah...Sage does not work with a Enginseer well. A Sage (as I view it) is more into theories / knowledge. An enginseer is a MUCH more crafty type. In general, the chirurgeon can be better seen as a man who should know how to use his hands right - but he does so on biological targets, not so much machines...

Pilot was just another example of a field not really covered so far.

As the new talents give a lot of options in this regard, I would have liked to see a role that spezializes a little bit better with this field.

As also the technician part is a little lackluster, and those 2 could go well together, I would have opted to make 1 role out of them.

But currently both cannot really well be covered in my eyes.

Of course you can improvise somehow and bend definitions...but it doesnt really feel complete to me.

#8 Morangias

Morangias

• Members
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:16 AM

Sage is mister know-it-all (cheap Remembrance and Logic, special rule) and a master technician (cheap Tech Use).

Any Tech-Priest worth his salt is exactly that - a master of both lore and tech.

Reclaimator may as well be an Outcast Sage, if he's supposed to be that good at tech stuff. I have a feeling most reclaimators aren't supposed to even get close to the level of savvy that AdMech possesses, but will be more flexible and survivable, hence Desperado works.

#9 GauntZero

GauntZero

• Members
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:45 AM

I agree that mechanically it would work.

My main problem with this is, that I see the Sage as rather this nerdy book-guy.

Not so much as this crafty Pilot-Ace Guy.

And WHY is this nerdy guy as agile as an assassin ?!?!?

Edited by GauntZero, 07 October 2013 - 10:46 AM.

#10 Tom Cruise

Tom Cruise

• Members
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:49 AM

Well maybe you need to broaden your view of the role? Currently it covers most stripes of Techpriest pretty damn well.

If you want an ace-pilot, you'd go Desperado. Cheap Agility advances, cheap Pilot advances; that basically covers it. Sure, they don't make for a perfect technician, but their Int and Tech-Use advances aren't on the expensive end of things, and really you can only cover so many areas of expertise with one character, which makes perfect sense. 

#11 GauntZero

GauntZero

• Members
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:17 AM

Maybe you are right.

It is sometimes hard to work with the descriptions / terms given.

#12 Morangias

Morangias

• Members
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:25 AM

One more problem with chargen as presented: the rather detailed descriptions of roles are in direct contradiction with the passage saying that roles don't do much to define character's place in the universe at all.

My big problem with AdMech characters is, there is no option for combat-heavy character that'd also have cheap Tech Use.

#13 GauntZero

GauntZero

• Members
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:42 PM

You mean like a Secutor ?

#14 Morangias

Morangias

• Members
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:55 PM

Yes, exactly. Or a Venator, or Skitarii, or any other guy whose primary areas of focus are combat and technology both. Current Roles force me to give up some effectiveness on one end or another.

#15 Tom Cruise

Tom Cruise

• Members
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:44 PM

I think that's a good thing, honestly. The way roles work mean you have to spend that bit extra XP if you want to play a more hybrid of jack of all trades type role, which seems like a fair tradeoff for the versatility.

#16 GauntZero

GauntZero

• Members
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:22 AM

Would be nice anyway to be able to focus on another combination of skills.

Like Morangias says - why not having a Tech-Fighter, who has other fields he lacks in ?

At the moment you can have a Agile-Fighter (Assassin) and a Military-Fighter (Warrior), but the "Tech-Fighter" would get punished by higher costs.

I think it could indeed make sense to publish new roles alongside with backgrounds & homeworlds later on in upcoming supplements.

For the beginning, the given generic roles might be sufficient, but I would like to see some more specific roles later on (or even role-subtypes).

Edited by GauntZero, 08 October 2013 - 02:22 AM.

#17 Morangias

Morangias

• Members
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:39 AM

I think that's a good thing, honestly. The way roles work mean you have to spend that bit extra XP if you want to play a more hybrid of jack of all trades type role, which seems like a fair tradeoff for the versatility.

Or, it will encourage everyone to make cookie cutter characters.

I wouldn't exactly consider a warrior who also does tech stuff a "jack of all trades". Certainly didn't feel like one when I played my Mechanicus Secutor in 1e.

#18 Jaedar

Jaedar

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:48 PM

I still feel there should be a tech-priest role.

#19 cps

cps

• Members
  • 987 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:20 PM

I still feel there should be a tech-priest role.

Do you mean Role or Background? Either way this is a bad post. Back up your assertions with some kind of justification.

#20 Simsum

Simsum

• Members
  • 458 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:11 PM

I agree that mechanically it would work.

My main problem with this is, that I see the Sage as rather this nerdy book-guy.
Not so much as this crafty Pilot-Ace Guy.

But Tech-Priests aren't all that hands-on, usually. That random IG TP isn't doing any of the physical stuff if he can help it. There's servitors, serfs & guardsmen for that stuff, and the TP is duty bound not to risk life and limb when more expendable persons/resources can do it for him. And, of course, he's duty bound to to not waste his time on "lesser" pursuits when circumstances allow.

In the real world there aren't any ace pilots who're also expert scientists. Not because real world people can't in principle be both (several famous people have gone from being one to the other), but because there's not enough time to maintain two such extremely demanding expertises simultaneously.

Perhaps if the Cult and/or Inquisition wanted to make it happen, it could. In 40K the tech exists to make people acquire both muscle- and ordinary memory. But it's not something your typical acolyte would have access to.

And WHY is this nerdy guy as agile as an assassin ?!?!?

School bully taught him to run real fast? :P

I have no idea. I actually thought one of the updates changed this, but I may be imagining things.

Edited by Simsum, 10 October 2013 - 02:15 PM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS