4 player dream team

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 jackman51

jackman51

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:31 AM

Finally was able to play a game with my new to AH friend who is an excellent board gamer generally and now is even assisting in game design with a small company called Victory Point Games. It was as I said in previous posts in this thread just a Base plus Innsmouth affair with one Herald. Ascribing to  my fear that a first time defeat defeat would discourage further play I did give him a very powerful group of four investigators-Mandy, Patrice, Thomas, and Silas-and pretty much let him do nearly every move with just a few suggestions in strategic options. He faced Azathoth.

Guess I should have used both Heralds since he won by closing in only 6 turns.  Still the DOR track reached three and would have went to 5 had he not intercepted two beasties at the Bus Station so there was at least a slight amount of tension. The overwhelming number of clues these characters can generate easily carried him through any negative situations that developed and fulfilling Silas' personal story quickly allowed him to close the final gate by heroic sacrifice. Interestingly for some odd reason I had been thinking that Silas' sacrifice seal was only useful for Elder Sign  victory but he made me realize as a sort of epiphany that you can use it to gain the win by closing just as easily.

No need to go light on him the next time--as I suspected he picked this game up as well as he has so many others--we're talking about a guy who has placed first in board game tournaments at such places as the Origins Game Fair. I sent him the list of suggested investigators that Julia gave in an earlier post and when he gets around to it we'll see how well he does with them against both Heralds. At any rate he played well.

Edited by jackman51, 21 November 2013 - 11:09 AM.

#42 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,114 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:23 AM

Uh, it seems like the guy is good :) Definitely go for a heavier game next time :)

(and Hi Jackman! welcome back)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#43 jackman51

jackman51

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:08 AM

Thanks Julia--my interest in actually playing has waned a bit in part because I'm working with a store owner friend of mine on a AH specific (with graphics) carry bag. Ultimately I plan on just storing my set in it-hopefully boards and all-and eventually I'll post some pictures and see if any here or at the BGG forums have any interest. Maybe even Kickstarter. I have been reorganizing my set from Ebay  and have been measuring the cards and figuring out storage containers for all the pieces. Even the plastic or glass storage jars we hope to put some graphics on to make it easy to pick out any combination of sets easily from the bag and thus shorten set-up and take down time. We may also convert the boards into a foam mat format.

Yeah Wes is good--I got him to sign up on these boards under the Moniker gamebreaker-but he is quire busy helping other game designers make games that can't be so easily "broken" hence his moniker. He also shows up on BGG. Should he show up here give him a shout out if you can.

Edited by jackman51, 21 November 2013 - 11:11 AM.

#44 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,114 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:14 AM

I most certainly will :)

Nice you're working on an Arkham-related project too (many people here offered interesting solutions to the storage problem). Really interested in seeing pictures of your work-in-progress too! Good luck with that!

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#45 jackman51

jackman51

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:27 AM

We do have the advantage of access to a  major manufacturer of these types of foam mats and bags and are able to use his equipment  to make some nice stuff with graphics and all. Most of the storage containers inside the bag won't be made by us and can be easily found at stores--it's just a question of picking attractive ones and figuring out how to organize and emblazon them. The bag itself may need to be redesigned specific to this game but my friend would rather not do this (I want him to though). We'll also probably create a folder/binder for the AO, Herald, and Investigator cards that of course will fit in the bag as well.

There may be copyright issues we will have to work out on some artwork so we'll just have to see how that all plays out.

Edited by jackman51, 21 November 2013 - 11:32 AM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS