• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:07 PM

jackman51,

Reprints have been historically only cosmetic, if even that.  Way back in the day, the Dunwich Horror expansion made some replacement cards for things like Lantern and a few spells.

Cheers,

Joe

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#22 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 5,709 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:54 PM

Reprints are identical to the previews versions, otherwise they'd have stated it somewhere. Probably.

As for where to go... it depends on financial availability and the urge to have the game, I guess...

• The Professor likes this
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#23 jackman51

jackman51

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:58 AM

Already another good chance. I think I could resell the game elements I already have and get this--nice looking storage box.

http://www.ebay.com/...em=261302558896

#24 Manishtusu

Manishtusu

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:43 PM

Patrice and Mandy are definitely core investigators, losing becomes a real challenge with them! (well, unless it's me playing, then a shan will come along and eat their faces) I'm surprised you left out the safety net, Jacqueline. She'd be my other choice aaand... assuming Innsmouth and Kingsport are both in play (or just Innsmouth), Silas is invaluable. His PS is basically a free seal, effectively reducing the victory threshold to 5. Norman would also be a strong candidate for the 4th slot, too bad he's a slowpoke. 

#25 jackman51

jackman51

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:03 PM

Patrice and Mandy are definitely core investigators, losing becomes a real challenge with them! (well, unless it's me playing, then a shan will come along and eat their faces) I'm surprised you left out the safety net, Jacqueline. She'd be my other choice aaand... assuming Innsmouth and Kingsport are both in play (or just Innsmouth), Silas is invaluable. His PS is basically a free seal, effectively reducing the victory threshold to 5. Norman would also be a strong candidate for the 4th slot, too bad he's a slowpoke. 

I needed the investigators to be from Innsmouth or the Base game. I just felt Silas was too strong mainly because of his PS success. Of course since I wanted a "Dream Team" then probably Silas should be in it too :P

#26 jackman51

jackman51

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:17 PM

And now at last it seems I was successful in getting the remaining pieces of the collection plus a few frills. I'll be selling the pieces I already had to a friend. The seller told me everything but Base and Dunwich were unused. Price a touch higher than I hoped but the frills and resale barely made it worthwhile. Now when I learn the rest of the game I can comment a bit more and play Avi's campaign. This was the item

http://www.ebay.com/...em=261302558896

#27 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 5,709 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:10 PM

Well done Jackman! And... good luck with sleeving everything... :D

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#28 jackman51

jackman51

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:44 PM

Well done Jackman! And... good luck with sleeving everything... :D

Yeah actually I was gonna ask about that. How do you people shuffle after sleeving-or do you? Not sure if I want to do that.

#29 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:58 PM

jackman51,

It's quite the process...I won't belabor the point here, but suffice it to say, it takes about 7 minutes and the entire pile of 288 "sleeved" cards is well-shuffled.

Cheers,

Joe

Edited by The Professor, 14 October 2013 - 07:58 PM.

The Professor

#30 jackman51

jackman51

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:01 AM

Oh yeah I remember that thread now---seems like it works fine with Mythos and Outer World decks but how do you do the Location decks which should be shuffled every card draw?

#31 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 5,709 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:46 AM

I never do that. It's just silly (to me, at least). I simply shuffle the decks once at the beginning of the game and then I draw from the top and discard to the bottom of the pile. Otherwise it's simply too long, and I want to spend my time playing the game, not shuffling the decks.

But yes, my suggestion is: sleeve everything. After ca. 300 games, all my cards are still perfect (and yes, I do use FFG sleeves. They are a little more expensive, but they are thick enough to protect cards from the 99.9% of the environmental catastrophes that could hit you at home), which is totally awesome :) problems are cardboard components, some of them are just falling apart (main board). Sooner or later, I'd consider getting another base game...

#32 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:28 AM

Jackman51,

To echo Julia's comment, I shuffle the 19 Encounter Decks at the very beginning of the game and simply draw a card, resolving the encounter, and returning the card to the back of the Neighborhood Display.

Cheers,

Joe

The Professor

#33 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 5,709 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:54 AM

Joe, I sense something arkhamesque on my kitchen's table... and I'm reading your signature on the invoice :D

• dj2.0 likes this

#34 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:31 AM

Julia,

That's outstanding news!!!  I'm so glad you're there to receive it ~ and of course I can't wait to see the pictures of Happy Julia and her new pieces!

Ciao,

Joe

• dj2.0 likes this

The Professor

#35 jackman51

jackman51

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:21 AM

I never do that. It's just silly (to me, at least). I simply shuffle the decks once at the beginning of the game and then I draw from the top and discard to the bottom of the pile. Otherwise it's simply too long, and I want to spend my time playing the game, not shuffling the decks.

To echo Julia's comment, I shuffle the 19 Encounter Decks at the very beginning of the game and simply draw a card, resolving the encounter, and returning the card to the back of the Neighborhood Display.

Okay I do not wish to offend long time vets of the game but I cannot condone this. It seems to me you would have knowledge of the possibilities of the next Encounter if you knew a particular card was already at the bottom of the deck--in cases where you used the Dragon Eye or Darrell's special ability it could be two or even three cards sent to the bottom of the deck. While there is a certain amount of realism in not duplicating encounters I don't like the idea of possibly knowing an exceptionally dangerous draw has already been played and thus will not reappear, I can see some of the counter arguments but I prefer to play this RAW.

That said (and again please do not be upset) is it really still practical to conduct a hand shuffle with the FFG sleeves? I mean without letting them hit the table?  And I can't wait to find out what sleeving what, some 2400 plus cards, is gonna cost not to mention replacing or modifying the crap monster/investigator stands FFG gave us.

Edited by jackman51, 15 October 2013 - 11:37 AM.

• Schwaig likes this

#36 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 5,709 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:21 PM

No offense taken at all :) Let me ask you a question before answering the remaining points of your post: have you ever noticed that encounters tend to repeat over and over again? When you have a deck of 38 encounters / neighborhood, it's not like you have 38 DIFFERENT encounters in the same place. So, even if a certain encounter is now on the bottom of the deck, it's not 100% sure it won't pop up again on the very next card.

Additionally, it is true that you could end up with a particularly bad encounter at the bottom of the deck, but this could also happen with a particularly good encounter (like the doom token removal encounter at the South Church, for example)

Finally, how many times do you think I pick up a card in the same location during the same game? I tend to win all my games in 11-13 Mythos (including set-up cards), so it means more or less 12 "action" turns, with people killing monsters, using location special abilities, travelling to OWs and sealing gates. Apart some rare cases, it's almost impossible drawing more than 2 cards related to the same location in the whole game.

Very last point: it's also a question of honesty. I never ever thought throughout my gaming life "hey, the bad encounter is gone, let's try again". It's like cheating. I have a general strategy in mind, and I move my pieces on the chessboard according to the general strategy and to the tactics demanded by that particular situation.

You can clearly play the way you wish! If you prefer shuffling and reshuffling, do that! But please, after six months from now, return to this thread and tell us if you still shuffle everything! I'll admire your perseverance in case!

As for your last question: not too difficult shuffling with FFG sleeves. The only big decks are the Mythos and the OW decks, but the rest is OK.

#37 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:40 PM

jackman51,

No offense, at all, my friend ~ as I've said many times before, "It's about the journey, not the destination."  Thus, I would fully-expect people to play the game in a manner which they find the most agreeable.  I'm an "all-expansions-in" kind of player, who enjoys the RPGesque of the game.  I play almost exclusively with four Investigators (unless I'm visiting my brother in Philadelphia and we have a number of people playing) and developed a unique Variant that works for me.

As to Julia's point, the "random" drawing of a card is almost wholly irrelevant as you will no doubt select only one or two cards from a specific deck during the entire game.  I shuffle everything (unless it wasn't used during the last game, such as Injuries or Madness).  I'm curious to hear your take on it after 100 games loke me, or closer to 400 like Julia.  :lol: 

Cheers,

Joe

The Professor

#38 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 5,709 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:49 PM

I'm still closer to 300 than 400... but agreed, I've shuffled enough...

or closer to 400 like Julia.  :lol:

#39 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:14 PM

...but almost 4,000 posts!!!

The Professor

#40 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:17 PM

I've been playing with a few of the game's investigators, rather than my own created ones, and I think my dream team would be:

Roland, Ashcan Pete, Luke Robinson and Jaqueline Fine.

The selection is part thematic and part strategy--I love each of these characters for their theme. They are so very Lovecraft that it almost hurts. In terms of abilities, they are not over-powered so you still have a challenge but they also are solid characters in what they can do. Pete's biggest weakness is his Speed, but he can remedy that easily enough with his ability when drawing Items. Roland is just--my favorite. Plain and simple, my favorite, and Luke is my second. His ability means he only needs three Clue tokens before entering a Gate (theoretically) and he's just plain NEAT,

Jaqueline is a great character for what she can do--controlling the Mythos deck in any capacity is incredible enough when someone else gets to do it, but having a person who can do it consistently is even better.

• jackman51 likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS