Space marine swear words

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#41 Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:44 AM

@Robin Graves - HA! I like it. I love Symphony of the Night. Perfect illustration of the point. Not boring, but a sophisticated and memorable means to get ones point across.
  • Robin Graves likes this

#42 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:24 PM

French is modern Latin. :)

-But since the Gauls were basically the 'hillbillys' of the Roman Empire, it can be thought of as "Like modern Latin, but with a thick Southern drawl..."

tangent: technically the Romance languages are all dialects of Modern Latin, or, as you imply, all of them but Italian (the real deal) are Latin with influences from other languages, so Spanish especially is Latin + an Ostrogoth accent (it was the Ostrogoths, right?) + a lot of Arabic vocabulary. This stuff is fascinating. :)

I know both French and Latin to greater and lesser extents, and French really is Latin spoken really fast with word order substituting for grammatical cases with the first and first syllables often cut off of words. So "hoc ille" becomes "oui."

end tangent

Edited by bogi_khaosa, 01 September 2014 - 10:25 PM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS