Unbalance

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Hamal22

Hamal22

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 04:47 PM

In our latest game one of the characters get lot of object that gives +1 craft/strength and he became after not to long to be more powerfull of all the rest and it really destroy our game.
What are you segesthing to do to prevent this sort of things??

#2 Lilikin

Lilikin

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:31 AM

Talisman is a game of chance to be honest I have lost and won most games on finding or not finding good combinations of cards all you can do is A) know the types of cards you want and head for them (say head for the city or dungeon etc) and B) keep centred on your end goal. The good news is because its so random its hard to brag about winning and thus for a very competitive group it takes a lot of pressure.

I love this game for the fun not the winning.

I am no pro though

You know it!

#3 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,260 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:39 AM

Do you think the characters are balanced to begin with? I doubt you'll find many players who'd argue the characters are balanced, thus swings of fortune come with the territory. Thank god too, that's the Talisman way, it's not a min-max do A, 100% get B result euro without randomness.

• rfisha likes this

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#4 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

• Members
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:31 AM

Talisman is not about balance at all!

A character drawing all the good stuff is something that happens every game, in different measures.

There are means to hinder or stop that character from advancing (Spells), but if he gets a good advantage he should just try to win the game as soon as he can.

You may have your share of fun even when you don't win. In 2010 I played 36 games before winning; except the very last games, I was more entertained than frustrated. That's not for everyone, though.

• DomaGB likes this

#5 Nemomon

Nemomon

• Members
  • 746 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:08 PM

Like The Warlock said, Talisman is not always meant to win. Sometimes You must lose. Personally I wouldn't change anything. That object You mentioned isn't strong at all, and the player won rather because of a luck in dice rolling than because of having that object in his possession.

When You see that one of the players is much stronger than the others, You must look for a strategy to beat him. And/Or talk to the other players if they will help You in this - after all killing the strongest player is in their interest too. Again, as The Warlock said, the best way to kill the strongest player is a good usage of the Spells. Go to the spaces where You can get them and hope for a Random or Toadify or something like that. If someone's is going to the CoC, steal the Talisman from them (by using the Acquisition) right before they enter the Valley of Fire, so they will lose some turns in order of leaving the Inner Region.

BTW, recently I seen a game that was won by a Strength 2 character. She won a game against a players both with Strength 17 and Craft 14. Possible? Possible...

Enter the Talisman Island!

#6 BatHead

BatHead

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:24 PM

TBH, balance is not really a concern with Talisman. Each character has the same chance as any other to get uber-powerful, and even then, that's not a guaranteed win. Talisman really is a game that depends a lot on luck, along with some strategizing. Usually that's not a good thing, but with Talisman, for some reason, it works. A super character may look like he's on the way to a sure win, but all it takes is a bad run with the dice rolls, and the guy can end up dead, and has to start pretty much from scratch.

#7 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:14 PM

Talisman has never been about balance, however, it has more balance in 4th edition, especially with fate, than 2nd edition. But if anyone hates any kind of imbalance, they will not like Talisman.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS