• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nexusfr

Nexusfr

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:02 AM

Hi,

In first, sorry for my english I try to be comprehensible....

I would like to now if someone in lead team know why it 's soo difficult to have a traduction of Deathwatch book's in french ?

Only 2 adds translate... my players are angrys... :)

#2 Killbeggar

Killbeggar

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:37 PM

It seems a lot of translations to other languages are done by a local (French in your case) game company that has licensed the game in question. It makes it easier to get an accurate translation for the native speakers and saves the original publisher some money. Plus most of us Americans would just run the text through Google Translate and print the resulting gibberish. ;)

I would contact FFG directly and ask them about any plans for a translation.

"The Heraldic Cross stands proud on my chest where the Astartes of lesser chapters wear the Emperor's Aquila.
We do not wear His symbol, we ARE His symbol."
- Reclusiarch Grimaldus of the Black Templars, Hero of Helsreach

#3 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:53 AM

I'm a trabslator myself, and I can tell you that a professional translator (I charge $0.13 a word) is expensive for something the size of a book. Especially because in this case he would need to know the game system pretty well. And you would need to esit the translation.

#4 Jargal

Jargal

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:19 AM

bogi_khaosa is right.

My native language is Russian - and I frequently run into translations of game materials  (AD&D, VoD, WH40K etc, etc).

Translations are divided into two categories:

1) professional translations in which game system is highly distorted (translator knows both languages, but knows nothing about game)

2) fan translations, in which the system is in place, but translation is terrible anyway (because translator don't know well even his own language and uses computer interlinear translation).

So I used to use only original material.

#5 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:00 AM

Yup, doing the math, if I were translating the back cover of the Black Crusade rulebook )You are a Heretek...). I would charge about $30.

The whole rulebook would probably get into the tens of thousands. Hmmm.... Hi FFG! You know you want to appeal to the Russian market, you know you do!

Then the final text would have to be edited by somebody else.

Edited by bogi_khaosa, 08 October 2013 - 07:07 AM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS