Photo

Female players and the campaigns they want.

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 Shakespearian_Soldier

Shakespearian_Soldier

• Members
  • 905 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:10 PM

In my experience, if you allow ample opportunity for evil plans and sadistic lenience, most women will be happy. ^_^

"Beg for your life. No, doing so won't save you - but it will make your death more amusing to watch."
- Vago the Hutt; Star Wars: Edge of the Empire

#22 Jetpack

Jetpack

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:34 PM

Add my vote to ask them what they want.

It's a suggestion for male gamers as well.  

Been in too many games where the GM had no ideas what their players want and are interested in.  

#23 LibrariaNPC

LibrariaNPC

• Members
  • 720 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:12 PM

Like everyone else, make it for THEM, not their gender.

My fiance (wife later this month) has proven to be just as brutal and heartless as the rest of the group.

In a Victorian Steampunk game, she played a cross-dressing, military captain with demonic magic to rip the minds of her targets apart. In Deadlands, she played a Wichita Witch (one of the most vicious gangs, and they were all female!). In Final Fantasy, she played a Moogle Chemist with a rifle.

Now, in Star Wars, she's playing a Jawa Outlaw Tech.

If I EVER tried to pull something from a romance novel or from a book I know she loves (and the party hates), she'd hate the game because that's not why she's playing. She's finding something to enjoy, and like the rest of my group, voices what she'd like to see.

So ask what they want in the game, tailor a story arc around it and go from there.

• PrettyHaley, kaosoe and Cheapy the Hutt like this

"Smilies exist because no one's bothered to make a sarcasm font." Lost_Heretic

LibrariaNPC's Starship Yard (Fighters and Freighter chapters as PDFs!)

#24 Shamrock

Shamrock

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:11 PM

Not to derail the topic, but best wishes to you and yours, LibarialNPC!

• LibrariaNPC likes this

Be well,

Sham

#25 LibrariaNPC

LibrariaNPC

• Members
  • 720 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:17 PM

Thank you!

I figured I'd mention the soon-to-be-wife thing as, clearly, she's been in a few games and still is okay with marrying me, so the tactic must work without causing issues in long-lasting relationships.

#26 FuzzyLog1cZA

FuzzyLog1cZA

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:43 AM

Thank you!

I figured I'd mention the soon-to-be-wife thing as, clearly, she's been in a few games and still is okay with marrying me, so the tactic must work without causing issues in long-lasting relationships.

Couples that game together stay together. I have the same situation with my wife who gamed with me as my girlfriend, fiance AND wife.

Good luck with the wedding!

• LibrariaNPC likes this

#27 kaosoe

kaosoe

Not the GM my players need, but the one they deserve.

• Members
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:05 AM

Couples that game together stay together. I have the same situation with my wife who gamed with me as my girlfriend, fiance AND wife.

Good luck with the wedding!

This is how me and my wife met. Through a homebrewed fantasy RPG ran through IRC, so I guess you can say we met on the internet. Gaming is our main bonding source.

In any case, back on topic. I agree with what everyone else is saying, the games your wife may be interested in playing may not be the kind of stories she is interested in reading about.

Of course, for my wife and the other female friend that sometimes plays with our group, they both like to play the kinds of stories they like to read about. (Noir and Horror).

• LibrariaNPC likes this

Scavenger - On the d20Radio forums.

Pronounced: Kay - Oh - So

#28 PrettyHaley

PrettyHaley

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:22 AM

I find the idea that one of the clowns sitting in the eote game I play in could be my future husband to be revolting. :P

But good luck to you, librarianpc!!

Edited by PrettyHaley, 03 October 2013 - 08:23 AM.

• FuzzyLog1cZA likes this

- Haley

#29 progressions

progressions

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:27 AM

Definitely what Maelora and everyone else said, don't *try* to make the game "something women would like".

Deal specifically with your players, talk to them just like you'd talk to the guys and see what they're interested in from a game.

Also specifically what Maelora said about make sure the environment is friendly, beware of the 'guy's locker room' feel.

#30 FuzzyLog1cZA

FuzzyLog1cZA

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:14 AM

I find the idea that one of the clowns sitting in the eote game I play in could be my future husband to be revolting. :P

You say that now...

Back to the topic at hand, I'm in agreement with the majority of the posters. The girls in my game are just as bloodthirsty if not more so then the guys. It's more about creating a game that triggers each individual players interests rather then having it gender specific.

Regarding locker room talk, that also varies depending on the female players. Nothing beats gaming with friends because then you know exactly what to talk about, the stuff that keeps you friends. When I'm dealing with a new group I like to organize a pregame braai (barbecue for the rest of the world) and get to know everyone, come to grips with what makes them tick and establish some basic behavior rules.

#31 aSkinnyWhiteBoy

aSkinnyWhiteBoy

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:08 PM

Well, I was going to chime in with my two cents, but it seems that my opinion has been echoed a ton already. Which is great.

I would recommend paying attention to the equality overall. What I mean by that, for instance, is that male GMs tend to craft NPCs as men. It doesn't effect the overall gameplay and frankly this goes for both male and female gamers, but mix it up. Put a corrupt female politician in there or a badass female Rebel pilot who helps the PCs. Just fill out the world better than Lucas did, where most women in the universe are shown as strippers or slaves.

• LibrariaNPC likes this

#32 LibrariaNPC

LibrariaNPC

• Members
  • 720 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:18 PM

Well, I was going to chime in with my two cents, but it seems that my opinion has been echoed a ton already. Which is great.

I would recommend paying attention to the equality overall. What I mean by that, for instance, is that male GMs tend to craft NPCs as men. It doesn't effect the overall gameplay and frankly this goes for both male and female gamers, but mix it up. Put a corrupt female politician in there or a badass female Rebel pilot who helps the PCs. Just fill out the world better than Lucas did, where most women in the universe are shown as strippers or slaves.

The only issue to this is when the women at the table say that you aren't playing or portraying the "gender correctly." Sometimes, they can be just as sexist as the guys. . .

That said, if someone makes that comment, get some feedback. If they give some solid feedback, roll with it. If you get the same feedback I always get ("You're just not showing it right!"), then make it known that they need to give better feedback or else live with how it is being handled.

Last time it was said to me was when the group realized that the most badass magic-slinging troubleshooter was a woman. This was in a Victorian Steampunk game, and she was relatively quiet but very forward thinking; she would be considered an "adventuress" for her time. So I got flak for that, but no one had a suggestion to make her more "realistic," so I ignored it and haven't heard about it since.

#33 aljovin

aljovin

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:38 PM

I know how you fell, I said the same thing about a girl I played D&D with over 20 years ago... Been married with her for 18 years, and 4 kids later.... ;)

I am not going to say "good luck" to you librarianpc, but "Game On!" ;)
  • LibrariaNPC likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS