Photo

Female players and the campaigns they want.

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 jessewaldenville

jessewaldenville

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:27 PM

I have three female characters in my game (my wife, my mother and my best friend's girlfriend).  Things have been going well playing campaigns that I have been using for years, but I was hoping to give them a very female friendly game.  I was thinking something that they would watch on one of their day time shows (not to be sexist, but my wife and mother do watch their shows).  Any ideas would be help for. 

#2 Slaunyeh

Slaunyeh

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:34 PM

In my experience, female gamers like games that aren't "female-friendly."

All gamers no matter gender, like different things in their games, and the best way to answer your question is to sit down with your players and talk to them about what kind of game they would like to play in. Maybe they want sessions full of shopping. Maybe they like to shoot stormtroopers or hunt down debtors for Zordo the Hutt.

My advice? Don't fall into the "mistaken preferential treatment" trap.

If that makes sense.

• Hysteria and FangGrip like this

#3 kinnison

kinnison

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:39 PM

ask them.

I got my wife to join my SW RPG game.  She is a first time RPGer with some bad past D&D experiences.  I spent a lot of time asking her questions and trying to figure out what she wants.  Ended up having her roll up a Politico that was betrayed by her family, and is on the search for Lost jedi artifacts. Her most likely role is to be the "Face" of the group.

She really enjoyed it when she got to snuggle up to an antagonist in the game that was being foreshadowed for a later encounter.  The whole scene was a riot for the other players and almost completely derailed the adventure for the GM (ME)

Edited by kinnison, 01 October 2013 - 12:40 PM.

• themensch likes this

Check out my current Campaign:

The Minos Cluster

Last session 6/21/14 'The Treasure of Celis Mott'

Last Update 7/4/14

#4 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,655 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:53 PM

Look at the Obligations and Motivations that the players select for their characters. This should tell you more about what kind of game they're looking for than their gender will.

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#5 verdantsf

verdantsf

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:45 PM

I'm a guy and I play a care bear medic.  The one girl in our campaign plays a bloodthirsty sniper.  As the above posts have pointed out, it's better to tailor things according to the individuals as individuals, rather than their gender ;).

#6 FootNote

FootNote

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:22 PM

Honestly I think if you try and make a game for females your probably going to end up pissing them off.

The easiest way to do this is sit them down and ask them what they want to do in the game.

• BlackCross5 and Jetpack like this

"Everything Flows down leash...." -Anonymous 

FootNote's Custom Droids

#7 Deactivatedadam

Deactivatedadam

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:15 PM

I dont know i think telenovella style fits pretty well with star wars. The whole "i am your father" thing as a surprise plot twist. Bad guys seeming to die only to come back from what was a pretty fatal incident. Your potential love interest turns out to be... Wait for it... Your sister!!! Screams daytime tv doesnt it? I dont think you would havr to change a thing

#8 Shakespearian_Soldier

Shakespearian_Soldier

• Members
  • 907 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:26 PM

In my experience, female gamers like games that aren't "female-friendly."

I concur. It's been my experience that players feel... well... cheated, if they think you're pulling punches or trying to modify a game into something that it wouldn't have otherwise been. Especially if you're doing so on account of their gender. Point is, if they're playing with you at all, it's probably because they a) like the setting, and/or b) like what they know about your game so far. That in mind, you're probably good to run with the game as is.

• BlackCross5 likes this

"Beg for your life. No, doing so won't save you - but it will make your death more amusing to watch."
- Vago the Hutt; Star Wars: Edge of the Empire

#9 Digiblade

Digiblade

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:30 PM

I'll toss my counter into the pile that says girls want things just as diverse as guys.

For example, my ex has a particularly large amount of love for rolling dice. Honestly, she doesn't care why, be it for combat or social encounters, she just like rolling the dice. The GM actually thinks she is enjoying the story the most, but he doesn't know her as well as I do. (Plus, he may have been trying to flatter her with that comment when he said he noticed that of her)

It just boils down to asking your players what kind of game, or rather encounters, they would like more of. This goes for males and females; some want to progress their character (either RP, stats or with loot), some want to murder, some want to role play, some just want to be there to have fun with friends.... others just want to roll dice to see how enjoy the adrenaline when luck turns out in their favor.

#10 themensch

themensch

• Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:02 PM

A +1 to the "make it for girls and they'll be offended"  - make it for them and it will be a success.  

• LibrariaNPC likes this

#11 Shamrock

Shamrock

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:21 PM

I find chicks that dig star wars do so because... it is star wars.  Same with role playing.  I'd say keep going how you're going, and let them spice it up with their characters.  Inevitably you're going to find new "female" solutions to problems, ones that you and I, as males, would never have anticipated.  Like snuggling up to antagonists.  Have fun with it, but keep it real. 

The most recent female I’ve played with was in a pathfinder game and she played a barbarian half-orc.  I so didn’t see that coming.  She was great at it, and it made the game a lot of fun having our own She-Hulk around.

Be well,

Sham

#12 The Grand Falloon

The Grand Falloon

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:58 AM

Ayup.  We have two ladies in our group, and they're savage.  The first D&D game I ran for my wife went like this:

Me: "Okay, you've dispatched the goblin warriors, and you come upon a communal chamber, populated only by the whelps and the females tending them.  They cower in fear at your sharp blades and grim countenances.  What do you do?"

The Good: "These pathetic creatures are no threat to us!  We should let them flee."

The Bad:  "Let 'em go?!  I say we kill 'em for their treasure!"

The Wife:  "You guys are stupid.  They don't have any treasure; let's take them as slaves.  They'll be worth a lot more that way!"

That was when I knew this hobby was right up her alley.

#13 Jon D

Jon D

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:58 AM

As has been mentioned, but  cannot be mentioned enough.

Make the game about your players, not your player's gender.

• themensch likes this

#14 PrettyHaley

PrettyHaley

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:53 AM

There's no arguing that there's a difference between what girls and guys generally like. There are always exceptions but, for example, the Twilight books appeal to FAR more girls than guys.My brother thought I was going to want sparkly Jedi because I love the Twilight books but... hello! I'm the target audience for the Twilight books!!! And, for the record, I had NO desire to have sparkly Jedi in Star Wars!!!

I expect that a Star Wars story is going to have blasters, action, fights, daring escapes and wild adventures. I'm a girl and I LOVE that this is what Star Wars is all about. I love my sparkly, moody, romantic vampires over there. And I love my action packed space fantasy over here. They don't need to mix. They should NEVER mix.

So just make it a Star Wars story. This game lets the players take a nice amount of control of the story, anyway. If a girl wants to find something in the story that you haven't put there on your own, she can put it there herself. All you have to do is make it matter.

• Doc, the Weasel, I. J. Thompson and Maelora like this

- Haley

#15 Shamrock

Shamrock

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:06 PM

^ that, minus all the twilight garbage :P

• kaosoe likes this

Be well,

Sham

#16 FuzzyLog1cZA

FuzzyLog1cZA

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:20 PM

There are always the Star Wars vampires called the Anzat if you want to mix your Star Wars and Vampires. These one's don't sparkle though.

• PrettyHaley likes this

#17 Maelora

Maelora

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:22 PM

As an actual female gamer, I'll second all the calls that you should cater for the player, not her gender. Both sexes can enjoy SW, it's not especially a 'guy thing' as it has plenty of strong female characters by default.  There's no immediate reason to make it 'girlier' unless that's what the players want.

However, I will suggest that sometimes it's good to be aware of your female players and be respectful.  I'm lucky, in my 35 years of gaming (since I was 9) I've seldom played with any players who were inconsiderate jerks. But I've heard some stories from other girl gamers who have had bad experiences in an all-male environment.  It can get a bit 'guy's locker room' sometimes, even without realising it.

So yes, bottom line, respect all your players regardless of gender, and be mindful of their expectations.

PS.  I kinda like vampires but I hate, hate, HATE 'Twilight'... If any of your players, regardless of gender, wants your EoE games to be like that, never, ever play with them again.

Edited by Maelora, 02 October 2013 - 12:23 PM.

• PrettyHaley and kaosoe like this

#18 Split Light

Split Light

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:39 PM

I play with two females in our group, my wife and a friend.  For the most part they seem to want just what everybody else does.  I think they prefer more of an emphasis on roleplaying and story over action (though they still want some action), but that's grand as I'm the same way.

#19 PrettyHaley

PrettyHaley

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:23 PM

*grumble grumble* all you Twlight h8rs!!!!

I get it from my dad and brother endlessly. Thank goodness my mom's on my side... but I just guess that kinda proves the point. And Maelora is proof that there are always exceptions.

Speaking of which, my dad loves a LOT of chick flicks. His favorite non scifi movie is The Notebook!!!!!

Edited by PrettyHaley, 02 October 2013 - 02:23 PM.

• Maelora likes this

- Haley

#20 Maelora

Maelora

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:45 PM

*grumble grumble* all you Twlight h8rs!!!!

I'll forgive you, Hayley!

You have great taste to be a SW fan, so I'm sure you'll grow out of 'Twilight' :)

• PrettyHaley and kaosoe like this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS