questions about Fury of the Dragon

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sky_cuson

sky_cuson

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:20 AM

It says, After you win a ico_power.pngchallenge against an opponent with a ico_baratheon.png or a ico_greyjoy.png House card,choose a character controlled by that opponent,and reduce its STR to 0 until the end of the round.

Q1:If i win pow challenge against my Greyjoy opponent, and treat the effect of my plot. I choose Qarl the Maid to be 0 STR. Can i response shadow parasite to increase STR? If so, how many is it?

Q2:If my opponent declare Qarl to be the attacker, can he increase STR to over 0 by Longship Iron Victory? Or it will still be 0 str?

Thank you for answer.

Edited by sky_cuson, 01 October 2013 - 03:21 AM.

#2 Khudzlin

Khudzlin

• Members
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:13 AM

Q2: no, his STR will be 0, no matter what

Q1: which leads me to say there's no specific reduction value, so Shadow Parasite cannot respond

#3 sky_cuson

sky_cuson

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:47 AM

Q2: no, his STR will be 0, no matter what

Q1: which leads me to say there's no specific reduction value, so Shadow Parasite cannot respond

Thank you for your answer. But I read another answer from agot. It says, "Well, it's a passive effect with a lasting duration. The STR reduction happens when the passive resolves, and only at that time. It wouldn't reassert itself. It would be different if the effect was a constant. Let's say there's an attachment with the text "Attached character's STR is reduced to 0". That's a constant effect, and it would reassert itself even if another effect raises that character's STR. But I would say that the STR of a character reduced by Fury of the Dragon can be subsequently raised again."

Can you tell me how to comprehensions, please?

#4 doulos2k

doulos2k

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:40 AM

Khudzlin - I, too, thought exactly the opposite was true. I got it from this post (though it is 4 years old): http://community.fan...-of-the-dragon/

From ktom's explanation, it would seem you COULD trigger the Parasite AND STR can still be added later. Has there been a more recent explanation that contradicts that one?

Austin AGoT Players

http://agotaustin.com

#5 Khudzlin

Khudzlin

• Members
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:30 AM

I was going from another of Ktom's post: I asked how LoW Eddard (reduce claim to 0) interacted with PotS Arianne (increase claim by 1) and he answered that the order doesn't matter, the claim is 0. Here's the thread: http://community.fan...fixed-increase/ It's only 2 years old. Though if Ktom changed his mind, we might be better off asking the higher powers.

#6 Bomb

Bomb

Cool Person Club

• Members
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:28 AM

To be fair, I think Eddard and this plot are very different.  This plot has a passive effect with a point of initiation(after you win a POW challenge, reduce STR to zero).  Eddard has a constant effect(while he is defending, reduce claim to 0).  So, Eddard constantly turns the claim to 0 regardless of what it is and Fury of the Dragon applies it's effect one time passively with a point of initiation.  So, I think the plot does it's reduction just that one time while Eddard's is constantly doing it's reduction.

• doulos2k likes this

#7 Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr

• Members
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:28 AM

Exactly. One is a lasting effect originating from a passive, the other is a constant. That is a HUGE difference.

#8 snowfrost

snowfrost

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:14 PM

reply from Damon today:
Fury of the Dragon
If i win pow challenge against my Greyjoy opponent, and treat the effect of my plot. I choose Qarl the Maid to be 0 STR.
1,Can i response shadow parasite to increase STR? If so, how many is it?

Shadow PArasite does not interact with Fury of the Dragon at all. Reduce to 0 and -X are incompatible comparisons, so Shadow PArasite cannot trigger at all.

2,If my opponent declare Qarl to be the attacker, can he increase STR to over 0 by Longship Iron Victory? Or it will still be 0 str?

Its STR is 0 until the STR reduction effect ends. As an absolute, reduce to 0 takes precedence over any other modifiers. The thing to remember is that when you calculate a characters STR you take all modifiers and apply them simultaneously. In this case 2 STR + 2 STR + Reduce to 0 are applied simultaneously you are still left with reduce to zero "trumping" all positive modifiers.

#9 Khudzlin

Khudzlin

• Members
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:31 AM

Exactly. One is a lasting effect originating from a passive, the other is a constant. That is a HUGE difference.

Apparently not for Damon.

#10 doulos2k

doulos2k

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:13 AM

And... there we go.

Austin AGoT Players

http://agotaustin.com

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS