Photo

New species announced for Enter the Unknown.

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Shamrock

Shamrock

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:01 PM

http://www.fantasyfl...s.asp?eidn=4385

As expected the latest details tell of three new species being released.
Chiss- I'm very excited for, probably the most of all the announced species.
Duros- good for those that don't have AoR, I personally would have preferred something "new".
Toyradians- while I'm happy to have a new race, I can think of about 50 others I would have put ahead of them. That said, I'll take it!

Be well,

Sham

#2 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:16 PM

Could Toyradians be a misspelling of Toydarians? I'm not saying it is, but I'm saying its possible, perhaps even likely.

Make sure your brain is engaged, before putting your mouth into gear.

"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

GMLovlie's/Jegergryte's Cubicle direct link to supplements here.

#3 Shamrock

Shamrock

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:44 PM

^ I thought that looked wrong, but I'm no spelling champ so who am I to knock it.

Be well,

Sham

#4 Kager

Kager

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:05 PM

Toyradians?!..*sigh* dipping into the crappy trilogy already and taking one from the Age of Rebellion book..i understand them going that direction eventually, but already? This is the FIRST supplement...I am a touch disappointed.

Edited by Kager, 30 September 2013 - 06:06 PM.

#5 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,790 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:28 PM

Toyradians?!..*sigh* dipping into the crappy trilogy already and taking one from the Age of Rebellion book..i understand them going that direction eventually, but already? This is the FIRST supplement...I am a touch disappointed.

Toydarians can fly. Flying is attractive to many players even if the species might be otherwise overlooked. I would have rather seen Toydarians in a Hutt Space sourcebook, but I'll take it.

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#6 Jbronco

Jbronco

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:35 PM

Toydarians can fly. Flying is attractive to many players even if the species might be otherwise overlooked. I would have rather seen Toydarians in a Hutt Space sourcebook, but I'll take it.

But the flying aspect wouldnt give the character any special advantages would it? If you have seen the clone wars animated series the Toydarians arn't flying like birds, they are merely hovering. To do any special feet associated with flying they would still have to make an athletics check. 

I dont know i could see this causing  problems. Any advice/thoughts on how to handle the "flying" of a Toydarian

#7 That Blasted Samophlange

That Blasted Samophlange

• Members
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:06 PM

I actually don't mind the toydarians.  Chiss will be cool if they have the Nsis Class Clawcraft, and not really surprised to see the Duros in this announcement.  I'm guessing there won't be any change from the Duros in the Age of Rebellion book, so cool.

As to the Toydarian flight.. well, it's nothing special.  It's more of a hover anyways.  As to dipping into the crappy trilogy, they've already done that with Beyond the Rim, and the Core rule book.  There ARE b1 battledroids in the core book. 

You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point if EU.

#8 Shamrock

Shamrock

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:08 PM

I dont know i could see this causing  problems. Any advice/thoughts on how to handle the "flying" of a Toydarian

as you point out, I haven't seen them "fly" so much as hover. At most I Would say that it allowed for movement over obstacles (terrain) quicker. On that same note, they are "small" critters, so I can't really see one lugging around a ton of weight, nor a large (heavy) weapon. Perhaps it all balances out. Who knows?

Edited by Shamrock, 30 September 2013 - 07:12 PM.

Be well,

Sham

#9 Jshock

Jshock

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:13 PM

I know how I would handle their flight; the same way I handled Geonosian flight in Long Arm of the Hutt. Normal movement, but can ignore ground based terrain.

• Jegergryte likes this

#10 Shamrock

Shamrock

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:09 PM

I don't mind the "dip", by far not a huge supporter of the new trilogy; however I did like some additions they provided.  As for species, I like the zabrack, nautolans, togruta, and I would love to have gungans, barring Jar Jar, of course.  I adored playing them SAGA and used the opportunity to show others that they were highly overlooked due to JJ.  Capt Tarpals was just awesome, especially in the Clone Wars toon. 

Edited by Shamrock, 30 September 2013 - 10:33 PM.

• Jegergryte, Kager and Grimmshade like this

Be well,

Sham

#11 Agatheron

Agatheron

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:44 PM

The Toydarians in the Clone Wars were much more likeable and "noble" than Watto was in Episode I and II. Although noble is more in terms of their headstrong nature. I suspect that Toydarians will have their Will stat at 3, while their brawn stat at 1... Also from the clone wars, I suspect also that they'll have a starting rank in Negotiation...

In terms of Duros, they weren't really much anything other than a background feature until Cad Bane showed up. They may well be dipping into to he original trilogy, but I think they're dipping as much into the Clone Wars TV series even more so.

Official Contributor: Age of Rebellion: Stay on Target

#12 Rikoshi

Rikoshi

• Members
  • 401 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:33 PM

In terms of Duros, they weren't really much anything other than a background feature until Cad Bane showed up. They may well be dipping into to he original trilogy, but I think they're dipping as much into the Clone Wars TV series even more so.

To be fair, the Duros as noted hyperspace scouts and explorers goes back a good 20 years to the old West End Games RPG.

#13 Slaunyeh

Slaunyeh

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:16 AM

Enough with this humanoid bias, bring on the Sluissi! Legs are overrated! :)

• Jegergryte likes this

#14 Shakespearian_Soldier

Shakespearian_Soldier

• Members
  • 934 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:03 AM

I'm happy with any/all material that FFG can provide, Toydarians included. My players - and myself - are fans of the whole of the Star Wars setting (even if the acting in some of the prequels was extremely cardboard), and as such I'd be hard pressed to get them interested if prequel material was excluded. The Galactic Civil War is arguably the best era and most familiar time frame, but being able to expand upon it with other races and such is a plus. I mean, good GMs can always take things from "bad" films (as some people consider Episodes I-III to be) and make them good (ala Episodes IV-VI).

+1 for Sluissi! And, in particular, I'm keen to see the Zeltrons show up. :D I have an old freighter captain I used to NPC called Chay Zeln who I'm keen to bring back to life in my EOTE campaign.

• Jegergryte likes this

"Beg for your life. No, doing so won't save you - but it will make your death more amusing to watch."
- Vago the Hutt; Star Wars: Edge of the Empire

#15 DanteRotterdam

DanteRotterdam

• Members
  • 972 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:39 AM

Can we agree the prequals weren't up to par, but that they are part of the canon? So including their contents in the RPG is only reasonable. 

Also, a lot of creatures that first appeared in these movies are actually quite interesting to me, Toydarians included.

Edited by DanteRotterdam, 01 October 2013 - 05:42 AM.

• Raistlinrox likes this

#16 FuzzyLog1cZA

FuzzyLog1cZA

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:52 AM

I personally am waiting to play a Gungan! Seriously, lets not derail this thread with a prequel vs original trilogy debate. It's not the point.

The new species on offer seem to be pretty good. I like the idea of playing a Chiss and it's nice that they are coming in early as an official species rather then in one of the much later supplements.

• Kager likes this

#17 Shakespearian_Soldier

Shakespearian_Soldier

• Members
  • 934 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:52 AM

Can we agree the prequals weren't up to par, but that they are part of the canon? So including their contents in the RPG is only reasonable. 

Also, a lot of creatures that first appeared in these movies are actually quite interesting to me, Toydarians included.

+1 This.

I didn't mind the prequels, though I thought the novelisation of RotS by Matthew Stover was far superior to the film. It, for me, made Anakin more identifiable, and made his descent into darkness a longer, more understandable thing than what the film made it out to be.

• Keeop and Raistlinrox like this

"Beg for your life. No, doing so won't save you - but it will make your death more amusing to watch."

#18 whafrog

whafrog

• Members
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:53 AM

Well, I won't agree that E1-3 were crappy, but it's not worth arguing about because it's missing the point. Sure the dialogue sucked and JJ was annoying, but the amount of eye-candy and world building and galactic expansion feeds games like this and made it all worth it. This is stuff even the detractors take for granted. Heck, they gave you Coruscant, with a Senate, Jedi Temple, and the coolest opera house yet imagined on screen. Nobody seems to be complaining about that. Whining about Toydarians seems just a little...sour.

#19 Shakespearian_Soldier

Shakespearian_Soldier

• Members
  • 934 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:53 AM

I personally am waiting to play a Gungan! Seriously, lets not derail this thread with a prequel vs original trilogy debate. It's not the point.

I agree. It wasn't my intention. Back to the topic at hand!

I wonder how different the Chiss will be from Humans? I'd imagine a 3 in Intellect or Willpower, perhaps?

#20 Internutt

Internutt

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:13 AM

So, 3 new races in Enter the Unknown, new races in AoR and 3 new races in Sons of Fortune. I guess "New Races sell source books" will prove true for many.

Personally, I think I'm going to pick up everything for EotE regardless as I adore the game system and setting. I got a copy of the AoR beta the other day, primarily for the new options/races/trees, but I don't know if I'm going to be buying more AoR stuff once it's eventually released as I prefer the style of missions that a group of fringers would go on.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS