• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,296 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:03 PM

Not to mention that in order for a sampler to be representative of a population, it requires rather a huge array of elements, which means: if you roll 10K times 2 dice, you can see 7 as being the most representative results and the distribution being simmetric, while if you roll 10 times 2 dice, they rarely align with the expected values.

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#42 Zarach

Zarach

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:07 PM

Not to mention that in order for a sampler to be representative of a population, it requires rather a huge array of elements, which means: if you roll 10K times 2 dice, you can see 7 as being the most representative results and the distribution being simmetric, while if you roll 10 times 2 dice, they rarely align with the expected values.

I can apply that to card drawing though too. Except here is why you are better leaving your luck to the roll of the die:

If playing with all expansions 295 cards (according to avec), only 6 of those have gate openings at Hibb's Roadhouse....as an example. 6 in 295.

A typical game (in my experience) uses 25 Mythos Cards or less.  So before the game even starts, the outcome has been determined.

The odds that Hibbs Roadhouse gate opening is going to even be in the first spread of 25 cards is very very low.

Yes, in 25 die rolls there is the chance I'm always going to roll double 1's....but that is also very very low.

You are better off with die rolling as a randomizing factor in a situation where you are only using 25 cards out of a pool of 295 or 103 or whatever.

Just my 2 cents.

"If you were the inventors of Facebook, you'd have invented Facebook" - The Social Network.

#43 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:46 AM

This isn't taking into account that most dreaded of all things, in my mind, the Gate Burst. There is simply no way to prin down a particular area effectively anyway and then BAM! Gate Burst in those high volume areas. And I get a LOT of Gate Bursts. -shudders-

I still use my dice pool for Mythos decks. Separate a mythos deck with just the expansion board being used and roll a die. Even, take from the main dec (which also has Miskatonic mythos cards) and Odds pull from the expansion deck. 50/50 shot of getting the expansion board gate, always, even if I wasn't using Miskatonic.

Now, I understand the notion of making high volume areas--Woods, Independence Square, Black Cave etc. These are spots that have Gate openings out the wazoo. However, we get into that ugly territory of Gate Bursts. I bring it up because these, too, effect the actual numbers if you think about it. Gates being sealed help adjust the numbers and trends. If you seal a gate in the Cave early on, you're safe for the most part--this would, in turn, mean that to balance the game's Gate opening ratio, you would need to make it so Gates open more frequently elsewhere in CASE you seal a high-level area.

It's late so I'm probably not being as articulate as I can be, but my point being that essentially, when the cards were made, they were made with the intention of Gate bursts happening frequent enough that your focus will eve be on the gates already sealed. You needn't concern yourself with Hibbs thus, 'we don't need to make more Hibbs. That's why we made Gate Bursts'.

Essentially, they extended their money's worth without actually spending anything--except the cost of orange ink. :P

#44 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,296 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:00 AM

Faust, you know there are no gate bursts on low freq locations, right? (unless you play with Atlach, but that's another story) Just asking since your point on Hibbs' isn't completely clear to me (apologies if I misread)

Zarach, fair enough, even cards will suffer from a similar problem; the only real difference I can see is that while results for dice rolls are completely random (and thus you can score '6' 14 times on a 25-dice roll series), you cannot have more than X gate opening at a certain location, with X the number of Mythos depicting that location in the game. This somehow preserves the balance, I think. Additionally, the length of games is extremely variable according to the team size and the skill of the players; I won games in 6 Mythos and on average one of my games lasts 11 to 13 Mythos, depending on whether gate bursts are a real threat or not, so that, as you can imagine, the randomness of drawing cards is more or less the same as rolling dice: too small the samples to have an actual statistical significance

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#45 Schwaig

Schwaig

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:11 AM

By the way, I have a question to all folks, who use alternative methods than drawing mythoscards from one mythospile:

How do you deal with Arcane Insight?

I found it an incredible useful spell if you have the right Investigators for it in play and I would not want to miss it entirely in my games.

#46 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:59 PM

Faust, you know there are no gate bursts on low freq locations, right? (unless you play with Atlach, but that's another story) Just asking since your point on Hibbs' isn't completely clear to me (apologies if I misread)

Lol like I said, it was late, I was punch drunk from lack of sleep.

• Julia likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS