Did the B-Wing finally break the system

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#1 Wookie Hunter

Wookie Hunter

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:08 PM

So for a long time this game has been quite balanced until now.  At least to our game shops opinions.  3 B-Wings with HLC and FCS seems to be unbeatable when flown well.  Nothing has even damaged my B-Wings in 4 battles of solo play before absolutely decimating the competition.  Is there a squad that is known to give this build a beatdown that it deserves.  I just do not want to go to tournament and see everyone flying B-Wing builds and neglecting the 1000 other dollars worth of mini's sitting in my case.  You could say use them anyways, but the point of tournaments is to win, not just have fun.

8 Tie Fighter's, 2 Tie Advanced, 4 Tie Interceptor's, 4 Royal Guard Tie Interceptor's, 2 Firespray 31's, 2 Shuttle's, 5 Tie Bomber's, 1 Tie Defender, 1 Tie Phantom

7 X-Wing's, 2 Y-Wing's, 4 A-Wing's, 2 YT-1300's, 4 B-Wing's, 3 Hawk 290's, 1 Rebel Transport, 1 Corellian Corvette

and counting......

#2 Cilionelle

Cilionelle

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:23 PM

Give the list to a friend and then see if you can beat it.
"There is no point to owning a copy of the rules if you aren't committed to actually reading them."

#3 Englishpete

Englishpete

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:48 PM

What have you flown against it?

I can imagine 3 Firesprays giving it a hard time for a start.

Some other Imp builds as well. Squints with PtL and Stealth might give it a tough time to.

To every man upon this Earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods?
(Horatius: Captain of the Gate)

#4 Mu0n

Mu0n

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:56 PM

Try a 7-8 ship imperial swarm against it, or 4x X-Wing. Those 1 agility will make them be wiped out.

#5 Takeda

Takeda

• Members
  • 408 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:07 PM

My buddy flew that 3 B wing group against my Three Amigo list this weekend. The Empire won but it wasn't an easy fight. Stealth device helps a lot, along with evading" just evade and don't be greedy with focus" The real killer is Fel, he puts the hurt on the B wing. I personally prefer Sensor jammer on two out of my 3 Bwing list. During the course of one turn you can save your self a lot of hits for free. In one game I counted 6 hits saved from just the jammer. I wish I could equip it to each of my interceptors :).

#6 ManOnAWire

ManOnAWire

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:09 PM

I would be pretty interested in trying a TIE Bomber squad with some Gamma Squadron Pilots in the mix against the aforementioned B-Wings. Something like:

Captain Jonus + Squad Leader (24pts)

Gamma Squadron w/ Assault Missile + Cluster Missile  (x2) (54pts)

Scimitar Squadron w/ Concussion Missile + Seismic Charges (22pts)

You should be able to take one B-Wing out before it shoots on the first round of combat, then give the B-Wings second thoughts about doing the 2 K-turn when Seismic Charges are on the table.

• nicksib likes this

Rebel Scum: 3 X-Wings, 4 Y-Wings, 3 A-Wings, 5 B-Wings, 2 HWK-290s, 2 YT-1300, 1 Z-95 Headhunter, 1 E-Wing, 1 Rebel Transport, 1 Tantive IV

Galactic Empire Peacekeepers: 10 TIE Fighters, 2 TIE Advanced, 9 TIE Interceptors, 6 TIE Bombers, 2 Firesprays, 4 Lambda Shuttles

#7 The_Brown_Bomber

The_Brown_Bomber

• Members
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:35 PM

need more intel on what u have beaten with this squad. it wil come out in the wash - i like the 4 bomber squads chances if they get decent alpha strike in early.

"There will be a substantial reward for anyone who finds the Millenium Falcon. You are free to use whatever means necessary, but I want them alive. No disintegration!".

Lord Vader

#8 Bjorn Rockfist

Bjorn Rockfist

• Members
  • 562 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:20 PM

Yup a 7-8 TIE swarm with a player who knows how to move them would shred a 3 B-Wing w/HLC and FCS.

Rebel - (4)X-Wing (5)Y (5)A (4)B (3)E (6)HWK-290 (8)Z-95 Headhunter (3)YT-1300 (2)GR-75 (1)CR-90

Empire - (8)TIE Fighter (4)Advanced (5)Interceptor (6)Bomber (3)Defender (4)Phantom (3)Firespray-31

(4)Lambda-class Shuttle (4)Imperial Aces

SOONtir -  (6) Rebel Aces

#9 Picasso

Picasso

• Members
  • 634 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:08 AM

Some rebel on rebel crime Wedge with PTL SHREDS B-wings. Also you can't attack them head on. One of the better builds at MLGS is two blue squadrons with chewie. Because of the lack of evade dice I've seen Wedge trounce on the B-wings then the falcon.
  • CrookedWookie likes this

#10 Picasso

Picasso

• Members
  • 634 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:09 AM

Oh also a six tie swarm with two squints holds its own.
  • tie571 likes this

#11 Cerealthief

Cerealthief

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:09 AM

TIE swarm, sit back, out of range then boost into range 1.

I think Bwings are good but unbeatable? No, infact I'd say they are only good in the hands of experienced players

• majagua likes this

#12 Ex-wing

Ex-wing

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:10 AM

I find this is a common thing that occurs in almost every game when something apparently "UBER" comes out. I won't say the B-wing has broken the system just yet. There's always that learning curve when something new comes out and list & strategies need to be adjusted. The B-Wing & Tie Bomber may force players to think of new methods to play viable lists against them. IMHO.

Best of Luck 

#13 Englishpete

Englishpete

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:38 AM

I can't see B-Wings breaking the system, to run 3 in this format, you will be moving first and shooting last mainly. B-Wings can certainly dish out the pain, but they can't take it in return.

1 defense die with 5 shields and 3 hull is actually worse than an X-Wing with 2 and 3 respectively. I'd even fancy my chances with Tie Advanced fighters in all honesty.

Don't get me wrong, I like the B and it will feature in my squads.

I am even tempted to say that 4 of the PS2 B's with Advanced Sensors is a better squad than 3 with HLC and Fire Control.

To every man upon this Earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods?

#14 DoubleNot7

DoubleNot7

• Members
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:03 AM

In a similar match-up the B wings did not fare well against an all TIE bomber build.

Enimo Et Fide

#15 Endgame124

Endgame124

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:23 AM

Some rebel on rebel crime Wedge with PTL SHREDS B-wings. Also you can't attack them head on. One of the better builds at MLGS is two blue squadrons with chewie. Because of the lack of evade dice I've seen Wedge trounce on the B-wings then the falcon.

While I haven't had someone play wedge against my B-Wings, what I've seen with Wedge vs HLC is something like this:

Wedge shoots at range 3, knocks 1 shield off of firespray (call it 2 shields off of a B-Wing).  First Firespray (or B-Wing) shoots HLC, spends focus token and gets 4 hits.  Wedge evades 1, takes 1 hull damage.  Second Firespray shoots, gets 3 hits, Wedge evades one, Wedge goes down in a flaming heap.

#16 Englishpete

Englishpete

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:31 AM

Everyone is assuming that your opponent will just fly straight into the teeth of the B-Wings. I feel they won't. I like a nice Ion Cannon or Ion Turret against B's. Almost certain to go through and then we'll see how the B's like it then :-)

There are so many more kill options with wave 3. If you attack 3 B's with HLC head on, then yes, you are doomed. Don't do that and you can mess with them quite well.

This list will not be fun for B-Wings. It has the ability to soak up early fire and return the pain. I'd use evade to close, fire my ordinance as I get the chance. Use the Ion cannons to force a 1 forward then use my rear arc as I pass you with no return shot. 

I'm not saying it is a cake walk, but it should take you out.

Total Squad Points: 100

Pilot: Boba Fett
Firespray-31 (39)
Upgrades:

• Push The limit (3)
  • Advanced Proton Torpedoes (6)
  • Ion Cannon (3)

Pilot: Kath Scarlet
Firespray-31 (38)
Upgrades:

• Push The limit (3)
  • Homing Missiles (5)
  • Ion Cannon (3)

Edited by Englishpete, 30 September 2013 - 08:43 AM.

#17 Picasso

Picasso

• Members
  • 634 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:09 AM

@Endgame,
Who said you can even shoot at wedge that first turn or would want to? There are other more menacing ships out there now. Maybe those missile shooting green squads with stealth device and ptl drop two assault missiles into your Bs dropping one before it gets to shoot. And yes I've done this. And even with a crippled wedge in round two he shot before the Bs taking off the last of the shields and the greens put a second b-wing away before it got to shoot.
Do I think the B-wing is a good ship? One of the three best. Is flying three of them straight at your opponent wise. Nope not in the least. Game is changing. I think squints and A-wings are more powerful now that you have to out fly your opponent and get around there firing archs.
  • Sithborg likes this

#18 Effenhoog

Effenhoog

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:22 AM

4 y-wings with ion cannons, or even 2 y-wings with ion cannons and two B-wings with ion cannons

better make those first shots count because when those ion cannons start shooting against your 1 agility good luck ever getting another shot off

• Parakitor likes this

#19 Endgame124

Endgame124

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:09 AM

@Endgame,
Who said you can even shoot at wedge that first turn or would want to? There are other more menacing ships out there now. Maybe those missile shooting green squads with stealth device and ptl drop two assault missiles into your Bs dropping one before it gets to shoot. And yes I've done this. And even with a crippled wedge in round two he shot before the Bs taking off the last of the shields and the greens put a second b-wing away before it got to shoot.
Do I think the B-wing is a good ship? One of the three best. Is flying three of them straight at your opponent wise. Nope not in the least. Game is changing. I think squints and A-wings are more powerful now that you have to out fly your opponent and get around there firing archs.

I've actually always thought that a PtL Green Squadron was better than a rookie X-Wing.  Glad that other people are starting to catch on.  In a meta that is becoming more ordnance dominated, evade and 3 defense dice makes a lot more difference than an extra shield token does, and Target Lock + Focus makes up for only 2 base attack dice.

Overall for Rebels, I haven't been impressed with Wave 3 - I haven't had B-Wings deal enough damage in most games, and the HWK costs too many points for what it brings to the table.

#20 DagobahDave

DagobahDave

• Members
  • 872 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:15 AM

Yeah, I'm in the middle of a game where two B-Wings are going to blow up real soon. Wouldn't call them uber.

Join the Unofficial X-Wing Galactic Campaign and propel your favorite faction toward victory every time you play!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS