The Long Dark: Everyone says easy?!?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Migreyne

Migreyne

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:15 PM

Not sure what we are doing wrong on this one but we are constantly getting our trash kicked with this quest. Twice in a row now we have started early with Twisting Passage having Gathering Ground attached.

4-5 creatures in a row - each with surge and we were completely overrun. Our hands were usually cleared out leaving us NO WAY to get rid of Twisting passage outside of a single card draw each turn.

Third game was 2 MASSING IN THE DEEP in a row and again overwhelmed.

Are there certain cards that are recommended for this one to mitigate Twisting Passage? It seems to kill us every time.

We are now sitting 0:4 on this one and the only threads on this are people saying how insanely easy it is. That has certainly not been the case for us.

Edited by Migreyne, 29 September 2013 - 06:16 PM.

#2 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:29 PM

How many players? If you play 3 players up is going much more harder.
about those combo location and treachery: yes if you cannot take it out in couple of rounds this combo will kill you. But is really rare to get this combo on the game.

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#3 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 750 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:18 PM

Try playing it solo, it gets a lot easier.

"A straight road lay westward, now it is bent."

#4 Migreyne

Migreyne

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:35 PM

I play with my wife so two player game. Playing solo isn't an option since she would get mad at me for doing it without her :)

Finally beat it on the fifth attempt, but only barely. My wife had the torch but never really looked close at it. Finally I asked to see it and we had played the first four games without using its abilty :) We had just used it so we could travel to that one location the required exhausting it.

Adding three progress tokens... yeah - that was huge.

#5 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:09 PM

Twisting Passage burned me once, and then I resolved to never travel to it again.  Leaving it in the staging are indefinitely (even multiple copies) is annoying but probably the best solution.

#6 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:55 AM

Twisting Passage burned me once, and then I resolved to never travel to it again.  Leaving it in the staging are indefinitely (even multiple copies) is annoying but probably the best solution.

Yep, I also never travel there and use the torch instead.

#7 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:14 AM

yes.....this is certainly one of those quest that is lost on solo. i still like it though for a light run through.

i also find the lost tests just not an obstacle at all in solo. you can beat it before you get through half of your deck

rich

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#8 jrd

jrd

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:57 AM

yes.....this is certainly one of those quest that is lost on solo. i still like it though for a light run through.

i also find the lost tests just not an obstacle at all in solo. you can beat it before you get through half of your deck

rich

Hi Rich,

are you sure you are playing the Locate tests right? You have to discard cards from your hand, not your deck.

I've had some pretty easy solo games against this quest, but I've lost a few too - usually as a result of Foul Air...

#9 Migreyne

Migreyne

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:25 PM

What do you mean by "...use the torch instead"? I understand never travelling there (which is what we did in the last game).

#10 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 800 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:55 PM

Setup: The first player attaches Cave Torch to a hero of his choice.

Exhaust Cave Torch to place up to 3 progress tokens on a Dark location. Forced: After Cave Torch exhausts, discard the top card of the encounter deck. If that card is an enemy, add it to the staging area.

You are adding in the cards from Khazad-Dum right?

Nearly all of my comments are from the perspective of the single handed solo player.

#11 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:23 PM

What do you mean by "...use the torch instead"? I understand never travelling there (which is what we did in the last game).

You can place resource tokens on a location with Cave Torch even if it is not the active location. That way you can get rid of Twisting Passage in two turns, but you risk to reveal an enemy.

#12 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:30 PM

rich

Hi Rich,

are you sure you are playing the Locate tests right? You have to discard cards from your hand, not your deck.

I've had some pretty easy solo games against this quest, but I've lost a few too - usually as a result of Foul Air...

really? haha, then ive been playing that one wrong since it came out. im actually pleased - i can now go back to it and it will pose more of a challenge.

whats even stranger is that i must have taken part in several conversations on here about locate tests and you're the first person to point out that i was wrong!!

rich

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#13 Migreyne

Migreyne

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:40 PM

Twisting Passage burned me once, and then I resolved to never travel to it again. Leaving it in the staging are indefinitely (even multiple copies) is annoying but probably the best solution.

You can place resource tokens on a location with Cave Torch even if it is not the active location. That way you can get rid of Twisting Passage in two turns, but you risk to reveal an enemy.

So you try to pass the locate test while it is in the staging area to try to get rid of it instead of moving it to the active location. Makes sense.

One last thing that is unclear to me on this card is if it is a one time pass, or if you have to do this pass every time you place a progress token on it. My wife and I decided it was a one time pass so we just tapped it sideways to indicate so.

Edited by Migreyne, 30 September 2013 - 03:02 PM.

#14 jrd

jrd

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:36 PM

So you try to pass the locate test while it is in the staging area to try to get rid of it instead of moving it to the active location. Makes sense.

One last thing that is unclear to me on this card is if it is a one time pass, or if you have to do this pass every time you place a progress token on it. My wife and I decided it was a one time pass so we just tapped it sideways to indicate so.

You need to pass a locate test each time you place one or more progress tokens on Twisting Passage. This applies whether the progress tokens are placed by questing successfully, using Cave Torch, Boromir, Asfaloth etc. So, if you use Cave Torch, for example, you make one locate test and place 3 progress if you pass the test.

Yes, it's nasty :)

#15 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:47 AM

Actually i dont bother my self about Tpassage. Just keep it in staging area. In solo and 2 player game is not a big deal. But 3 player up there is a lot of problem since the encounter deck start to get really nasty combo and locate test make a sense.

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#16 Distractionbeast

Distractionbeast

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:58 AM

This was a tricky scenario for me (playing solo and 2 player), but not overly difficult.  The key is to tailor your deck for it.  Try lots of encounter deck scrying effects - Hennemarth, Denethor, Risk Some Light, etc. for those locate tests, and lots of location-clearing effects.  Northern Tracker works well if Twisting Passage is not in the staging area (just don't trigger his response if you can't pass the locate test), and try using Legolas and Blades of Gondolin for extra location-clearing power.  With a little bad luck, even this can go sour on you, but it should be very beatable if you give it a few tries.

#17 Migreyne

Migreyne

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:01 PM

Once we realized our error not using the torches ability, and left Twisting Passage in the Staging area we were able to beat it. Although it was close.

Light of Valinor and Unexpected Courage sitting on Elrond was a bonus
Asfaloth sitting on Glorfindel didn't hurt either :)

#18 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:26 PM

You need to pass a locate test each time you place one or more progress tokens on Twisting Passage. This applies whether the progress tokens are placed by questing successfully, using Cave Torch, Boromir, Asfaloth etc. So, if you use Cave Torch, for example, you make one locate test and place 3 progress if you pass the test.

Yes, it's nasty :)

Crap, totally forgot about that.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS