Photo

Honour the Chapter v. Rites of Battle (Novamarines)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Homunculus

Homunculus

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:55 AM

Three Successor Chapters were reprinted in greater details from Rites of Battle in Honour the Chapter; the Novamarines, Crimson Fist, and Flesh Tearers.

The Novamarines in Rites of Battle grant a +10% bonus on Forbidden Lore (Xenos) test, as all Deathwatch Marines start out with the skill, while Novemarines in Honour the Chapter start with the skill, which they would then get as part of the starting Deathwatch training.  Does this increase the skill to a +10% as they gain the skill twice? 

I cannot find a reference to gaining the same skill twice in character creation, such as in Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader or Only War.  An alternative would be to grant the Novamarine chapter a Talented (Forbidden Lore: Xenos) trait instead, giving the Novamarine chapter the +10% bonus, such as in Rogue Trader, or giving additional starting XP, as in Only War.

The other two Successor Chapters present in both books, the Crimson Fist and Flesh Tearers, match up in powers and starting skills with detailed Demeanours, new Solo and Squad modes, and new Curses.  Which book do I use now if I want to create a Marine from one of these Chapters?

#2 Theofonias

Theofonias

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 02:12 AM

1) What you're talking about will probably feature very soon in the Living Errata.  Just run with +10% bonus to rolls.  It will give Lore-minded players a nerd boner to be able to get a lot of bonuses for a skill they love.

2) I'd run with the more detailed of the two.

#3 Gamgee

Gamgee

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:09 AM

1) What you're talking about will probably feature very soon in the Living Errata.  Just run with +10% bonus to rolls.  It will give Lore-minded players a nerd boner to be able to get a lot of bonuses for a skill they love.

2) I'd run with the more detailed of the two.

Really? The errata is being updated? Holy cow. About time! Can I get a source on this.

#4 BrotherTenparo

BrotherTenparo

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:44 PM

I want to see the Exorcists get their own rules, they hardly fit the definition of a "Standard Codex Chapter", same with Minotaurs.

#5 Kshatriya

Kshatriya

• Members
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:28 PM

I want to see the Exorcists get their own rules, they hardly fit the definition of a "Standard Codex Chapter", same with Minotaurs.

AGREED

#6 Aridia 97th

Aridia 97th

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:13 PM

It would definitely be nice to have some really good rules for the Exorcists.  Might make some interesting ideas for 40k as well.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS