• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 topazdragon

topazdragon

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:23 PM

Assume the MSRP of $40.

You already have one core set your buddy doesn't have any.

You decide to split another copy of the core set.

You will get the copy of all the cards that only are 1-ofs in the core set (except the identity cards, and the game aids) and you will get one copy of all the cards that are 2-ofs.

He will get everything else.

What would you say is a fair price split for the core set?

Edited by topazdragon, 28 September 2013 - 03:32 PM.

#2 Saturnine

Saturnine

• Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:11 PM

I don't want to spend the time to work this out, but I have a feeling it would leave your buddy unable to even build a legal deck, in which case you should probably pay for the whole box. ;)

• nungunz likes this

#3 nungunz

nungunz

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:21 PM

Agreed with Saturnine.  Your friend wouldn't be able to make a legal deck. 

Edited by nungunz, 28 September 2013 - 02:21 PM.

#4 topazdragon

topazdragon

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:30 PM

Are you referring to the identities?

I forgot to exclude them. You only ever need one copy of them, so they would stick with the person getting the 3-ofs.

#5 Saturnine

Saturnine

• Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:08 PM

Are you referring to the identities?

No. But all of the core set identities have a minimum deck size of 45 cards. If you're taking away a bunch of cards, they probably won't have enough to make legal decks, or just barely with no room for customization.

#6 nungunz

nungunz

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:21 PM

I'm thinking more that there won't be enough agendas, but the minimum card limit could be a problem as well.

#7 markusjarlstig

markusjarlstig

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:26 PM

If you plan to keep the Agendas too there won't be enough. You need every single Agenda, even all the neutral ones to build a deck with just the core set.

#8 frybender

frybender

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:41 PM

There actually is enough cards left over to make a legal deck for both the corp and the runner (you won't be able to make an NBN deck but that's about it). The real question is would either of those decks be even remotely playable?

So I went and tried this out. Obviously these are not eve remotely optimized (or even tested once) but this is the kind of decks your friend can look forward to:

Deck Created with CardGameDB.com Android: Netrunner Deck Builder

Identity:

Total Cards: (49)

Agenda: (9)

Asset: (12)

ICE: (18)

Operation: (10)
Scorched Earth (Core) x1 ■■■■

Upgrade: (0)

Total Agenda Points: 21

Influence Values Totals - 
 Haas-Bioroid: 0 
 Jinteki: 28
 NBN: 6
 The Weyland Consortium: 9

Deck Created with CardGameDB.com Android: Netrunner Deck Builder

Identity:

Total Cards: (45)

Event: (22)

Hardware: (3)

Program: (13)
Djinn (Core) x1 ■■
Corroder (Core) x1 ■■

Resource: (7)

Influence Values Totals - 
 Anarch: 13 
 Criminal: 41
 Shaper: 2

Edited by frybender, 28 September 2013 - 07:40 PM.

#9 topazdragon

topazdragon

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:34 PM

The only factions that wouldn't be absolutely playable would be NBN and Weyland, coming up 2 and 1 agenda point short.

As for qty of cards, there are plenty of cards once you realize that you can include cards of other factions using your influence. (Corp decks would need to pick up about 6 cards, runners about 9)

Towards deck quality; that is not really an issue. The situation presented is that of one person who is trepidatious about spending money on the game and another who would like to reduce the cost of getting their playsets. If the player getting less cards ends up liking the game they will buy more cards (and likely a second core set, which would shore up any issues discussed)

That said, my real question is not if its possible or feasible, but; How much would you say the split in price should be between the two parties?

#10 frybender

frybender

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:05 AM

You should check Ebay. I think there are depleted core sets on there all the time so you can compare prices that way.

Also just to be clear you are definitely getting the much better part of the deal since you are getting all the cards that are 1-ofs. They are the ones that are actually worth something and if your friend decides he likes the game and buys a whole core set he will have 3 of all the 2-ofs but still only have 1 of important cards like Sansan and desperado

Edited by frybender, 29 September 2013 - 12:45 PM.

#11 Scud-O

Scud-O

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:59 AM

There are 241 cards in a core set (252 minus the 7 IDs and the 4 Game Aid cards).

If you take all the 1-ofs and one of each of the 2-ofs, you'll end up with 66 cards.

If MSRP is $40 and you value each card equally, each card is "worth" roughly 16.6 cents. 66 x .166 = 10.96-ish.

Now, since you are crippling his Core Set, I'd say you should offer more like $20, but that's me.

#12 CommissarFeesh

CommissarFeesh

• Members
  • 466 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:14 PM

Yeah, the problem with trying to work out value per card is that not all cards in core are as easily available. It's fairly easy to buy spares of the 2-ofs on ebay for exampled.

I'm sure someone smarter than I could do the math and figure out a weighted costing for 1-of, 2-of and 3-of cards.

#13 Dydra

Dydra

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:41 AM

You simply want to ****-out your "friend" .... That's about enough said 

Noise or Gabriel without the consoles are crap. Shapers in Core are crap. So you will **** up his runner, that's 100% sure. He won't be able to enjoy the game, hence he won't like it and thus won't buy more to it. So you will **** him hard.  

Not even gonna' bother with Corporations.

Thank god I'm not one of your friends if that's your attitude to him ... 

As someone said, buy the core set yourself, give him the rest of the cards and go from there. 

• Internutt likes this

#14 Internutt

Internutt

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:17 AM

Seriously, if you want to get your friend into the game, just give him a core set to himself.

THEN you can split the cost of a second core set, making sure he at least gets 1 of the 2x cards in the core set.

Otherwise, you're just going to cripple his card pool as everyone else has said already. Or if you don't want to buy a second core set, buy 2 copies of "What Lies Ahead" so you each have a wider variety of Agenda cards to add to your decks to give them a little more flavour.

Or, instead of buying your friend a Core set, buy him Creation and Control for a Shaper and HB deck for an interesting intro into the game.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS