Ctugha, Ithaqua and Cthulhu

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Schwaig

Schwaig

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:15 AM

Yesterday we played a very strange game, using Innsmouth, Dunwich, Dark Pharaoh and the Lurker against Ctugha, the Pharaoh, the Lurker and Ghroth.

I had Leo Anderson with 5 clues after the second round and went straight into the Plateau of Leng where I had a nice meeting with Ithaqua, who was some somehow angry about me disturbing his slumber there. After he destroyed Leo's only weapon, an axe, I stood no change against him and Leo was devoured.

New character Harvey with amazing load out, Wither, Staff of the Pharaoh (?) an Elder Sign and another Spell which I cant remember right now. So I went straight into another open portal to R'lyeh. And guess who waited there for me? The mighty Cthulhu of course who, mainly because of bad rolls, devoured me again.

We hardly ever have these encounters with battles against Great Old Ones and now two in four turns. Have you had anything like this before?

And also a question to these encounters: If one uses epic battle variant, would you also use epic battle variant for these combats?

#2 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,115 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:25 AM

Man, that's an unfortunate accident! In 300 games played with Arkham I *never* entered an OW final battle (and it's something I really wish have happened, at least once in a blue moon).

As for your question: no, you don't use Epic Battle cards for OW Final Battles. Cfr FAQ, pag 19:

Q: Are Epic Battle cards [KH] meant to be used when fighting an Ancient One as the result of a dual-colored gate encounter?
A: No.

• Schwaig likes this
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#3 jackman51

jackman51

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:17 AM

Swell. Don't have Dunwich but I'm sure delighted that yet another instant death scenario exists since I didn't think there were enough of em already. (sarcasm) :huh:

• Schwaig likes this

#4 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,115 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:37 AM

Jackman,

these special encounters are from Dark Pharaoh, not Dunwich. Not really important, just to let you know where is the trouble, in case you want to get that expansion (or not) :)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#5 Schwaig

Schwaig

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:37 AM

Well its actually not that unfair. Sometimes you really have a good chance and if you win you get a sealed location and a gate trophy as reward. If I hadn't lost the axe against Ithaqua I think I might have defeated him.

• Julia likes this

#6 Doc Demers

Doc Demers

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:05 PM

My 12 years old son met Ithaqua once and get devoured. He was so upset!
  • Schwaig likes this

#7 jackman51

jackman51

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:44 PM

Since I have Kingsport and Innsmouth already I'm thinking Miskatonic should be next.

#8 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,115 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:55 AM

If you can't go for Dunwich, then, yes, Miskatonic is an interesting option :)

#9 Schwaig

Schwaig

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:34 AM

And thanks for the Answer, Julia. Totally forgotten.

Where are my manners? :D

• Julia likes this

#10 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,115 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:37 AM

Hey, no probs, buddy! :) But thanks for your post, you're a gallant man :)

• Schwaig likes this

#11 jackman51

jackman51

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:43 AM

It's not really that I can't go for Dunwich--I'm just keeping my eye on Ebay for a mass purchase of what I still need at a good price--was close once but a lurker got me at the end.

#12 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,115 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:57 AM

Aye, the Lurker at the Threshold, very typical in Arkham... :P

• Tox likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS