• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Lars Rune

Lars Rune

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:15 PM

Hello GM's out there. 

I have a question. What do Eldars do if they lose a limb? They do not use cyberware as far as I know.

The Emperor Protects.

Lars, Denmark

#2 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,749 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:36 PM

Given how much Eldar love themselves and their level of technological development as well as psychic potential, I would be surprised if they didn't just regrow the limb. I wouldn't be surprised if the eldar considered the replacement of limbs to be some kind of violation of the purity of the eldar form.

Real men earn their fun

Unified WH40kRP Ruleset Homebrew - Personal Notes
Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.
These things are dumb and do not exist. This is non-negotiable and undebatable.

#3 Magellan

Magellan

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:42 PM

Well, the dark eldar can resurrect a person if they have a couple of atoms left of him, so probably.

I am the latest model of a Fabricator-General
My body isn't nearly as much animal as mineral
My learnedness is legend; my accomplishments historical
For hereteks and aliens my hatred's categorical

#4 Lars Rune

Lars Rune

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:05 AM

Thanks for your ideas.

I've never read that eldar using psychic-biotechnology, but maybe that's an option.

I am considering writing to one of the authors of various Eldar the stories. And here what they think.

#5 Magnus Grendel

Magnus Grendel

• Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:46 AM

Some do. I think Prince Yriel's eye is an augmetic, isn't it?

Granted, he's a bit of an oddity, but most corsairs are - and it's corsairs that a Rogue Trader is most likely to encounter.

#6 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,749 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:20 AM

Thanks for your ideas.

I've never read that eldar using psychic-biotechnology, but maybe that's an option.

I am considering writing to one of the authors of various Eldar the stories. And here what they think.

Wraithbone is nothing but psychic-biotechnology. It's literally psychically reactive biomatter. So.. I mean, there's that.

I actually found some really old precedence that some Eldar pirate had bionic replacement limb(s), but whether that was a social statement or necessary is impossible to tell. The Eldar certainly *do* have the technology to both regenerate limbs or build fully-functional replacement limbs, of that I am absolutely sure, and if they for some reason did make those fully-functional replacement limbs, they'd probably be psychically reactive wraithbone and nearly indistinguishable from the real thing.

That being said, though, I'm sticking to my belief that the Eldar are far too obsessed with their purity of form and the belief that they are perfect to replace limbs with bionics unless absolutely necessary. Given their propensity for martial arts and insanely sharp melee weaponry, I would expect that chopping off limbs happens quite often.

• Lars Rune likes this

Real men earn their fun

Unified WH40kRP Ruleset Homebrew - Personal Notes
Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.
These things are dumb and do not exist. This is non-negotiable and undebatable.

#7 susanbrindle

susanbrindle

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 06:44 AM

Some do. I think Prince Yriel's eye is an augmetic, isn't it?

Granted, he's a bit of an oddity, but most corsairs are - and it's corsairs that a Rogue Trader is most likely to encounter.

I believe it's actually just a removable monocle. I can't cite sources at the moment though- I just recall it from an older thread where I was asking about wraithbone augmentics. Might be on this forum, actually.

#8 lord inquisitor Iannise

lord inquisitor Iannise

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:55 AM

well if eldar could just regenerate body parts and can store the "souls" of there dead in robots why have the infinity matrix?  

#9 Magellan

Magellan

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 05:33 AM

The Infinity Circuit exists to revive/create some sort of god, if I remember correctly. Don't quote me on that, though - I don't know anything about the Eldar.

I am the latest model of a Fabricator-General
My body isn't nearly as much animal as mineral
My learnedness is legend; my accomplishments historical
For hereteks and aliens my hatred's categorical

#10 Erathia

Erathia

• Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:11 AM

The Eldar accidentally gave birth to Slaanesh, causing the downfall of their empire but also the death of their Gods, and the souls of every Eldar who had died up to that point. Also, any Eldar who dies without a Soulstone has their soul devoured by Slaanesh.

As this is a slightly undesirable state, the Eldar have been building the Infinity Circuit, and their hope is that when the last Eldar dies, enough souls will be in the Infinity Circuit to birth Y'nnead, the new Eldar God of the Dead who will defeat Slaanesh once and for all, and take the remaining Eldar souls to a new universe where they will be reborn. Exodite Eldar mainatin their own versions of the Infinity Circuit, but Dark Eldar do not - preferring ritual sacrifice and regrowing themselves from a single cell.

Also, they will relentlessly murder the Hell out of anyone who catches wind of this plan.

Citizens of Grace! We have defeated both the Dark Eldar and Ork menaces that threatened your system! We need no thanks nor payments, so long as you do not leave the atmosphere during our salvage operations under pain of death! - Jequin Hos of The Hos Dynasty

#11 lord inquisitor Iannise

lord inquisitor Iannise

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:28 PM

The Eldar accidentally gave birth to Slaanesh, causing the downfall of their empire but also the death of their Gods, and the souls of every Eldar who had died up to that point. Also, any Eldar who dies without a Soulstone has their soul devoured by Slaanesh.

As this is a slightly undesirable state, the Eldar have been building the Infinity Circuit, and their hope is that when the last Eldar dies, enough souls will be in the Infinity Circuit to birth Y'nnead, the new Eldar God of the Dead who will defeat Slaanesh once and for all, and take the remaining Eldar souls to a new universe where they will be reborn. Exodite Eldar mainatin their own versions of the Infinity Circuit, but Dark Eldar do not - preferring ritual sacrifice and regrowing themselves from a single cell.

Also, they will relentlessly murder the Hell out of anyone who catches wind of this plan.

Why don't they just commit mass suicide? 

#12 Crystal Geyser

Crystal Geyser

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:32 AM

I remember reading somewhere about a group of Eldar who are trying to get that ball rolling.

#13 venkelos

venkelos

• Members
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:18 AM

I don't imagine something that is made to a function, as opposed to "just because", AND htat is made to live so long, is quite so easily persuaded to commit suicide. Their arrogance and haughtyness probably don't help, either.

If the Eldar were going to be sensible about it, I'd hope that they'd find a Human group that can get along with them, and then arm them with Eldar stuff. Show them how the Webway works; pass on their legacy to the next ruling race of the galaxy. But nope, they can't accept, even on the knife's edge of oblivion, that they aren't still the best in the universe, and so they refuse to make allies. There have been hints that they had something to do with the Tau, but that never got further established, that I know of, and the two would fight as easily as any other races in 40K.

The Eldar can see the future, so maybe there is some event, or set of such, that need to happen before Ynnead can awaken, and waste Slaanesh (and then Khorne, Nurgle, and Tzeentch will assault him.)

#14 Brother Anselm

Brother Anselm

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:02 AM

A good question, if its a lower extremity such as a leg, i would imagine they fall over and at least moan a bit. Should it be an arm, maybe look at it with an element of shock. Then stagger around asking 'why me, why me?

• Tenebrae likes this

#15 Erathia

Erathia

• Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:28 PM

The Eldar can see the future, so maybe there is some event, or set of such, that need to happen before Ynnead can awaken, and waste Slaanesh (and then Khorne, Nurgle, and Tzeentch will assault him.)

They have to all die.

The Eldar are completely aware that Y'nnead is their only hope, because when they die now Slaanesh gets their souls, and hiding inside of a soulstone is only a stopgap measure because eventually someone will find and destroy them. Thus their whole race is working towards a plan that ends with their complete extinction, whereupon they hope that Y'nnead awakens, defeats Slaanesh and takes them all to a new universe to be reborn.

They don't ally with anyone because they have already given up on this universe, and are working towards a new one.

Citizens of Grace! We have defeated both the Dark Eldar and Ork menaces that threatened your system! We need no thanks nor payments, so long as you do not leave the atmosphere during our salvage operations under pain of death! - Jequin Hos of The Hos Dynasty

#16 venkelos

venkelos

• Members
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:57 PM

Fallback on a "they aren't certain it will work" excuse then? If it fails, and they are all dead, then nothing happened, and their species is gone for good. Many likely don't want to risk it.

Personally, it's something I've never cared for about the Eldar. Tolkien wrote about the Elves coming from a better place, hanging out in Middle Earth, and then getting to go back to Valinor, and be with the Gods, mostly because Elves are practically viewed like them (favored of Illuvater, and people like Galadriel talk about beings like Saruman and even Sauron as if they are "regular evil joes", when they are both orders above any Elf), even if much of the evil is sorted around them; they get to jump the sinking ship, and leave everyone else to Sauron's wrath, even though they are the race he longed to rule. That whining leads to D&D, where I find the Elves to be better, and more real, but in Forgotten Realms, they have the Retreat, when all of the Elves are supposed to return to one island, and ignore everyone else. 40K Elves also have to have their "withdraw from the universe" BS, and i kind of wish they didn't. Why can't the Orks leave?

Sorry, I'm done whining about that, and stuff that isn't even 40K.

#17 Erathia

Erathia

• Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:36 PM

Fallback on a "they aren't certain it will work" excuse then? If it fails, and they are all dead, then nothing happened, and their species is gone for good. Many likely don't want to risk it.

It's entirely possible there are Eldar who believe that it won't work, but they have a history of mankind going to endless war with them to overcome. Also right now every single one of them that dies and doesn't have their soulstone nearby has their soul devoured by Slaanesh, which only fuels Chaos. The soulstone plan is the only way to prevent this, and this is also going to fuel the birth of Y'nnead.

I think that Exodite Eldar might be the most likely to be willing to fight against this plan, but it's important to put the Eldar history in context. The Craftworld Eldar are the ones who ran from the birth of Slaanesh, and managed to escape. The Dark Eldar are the ones who didn't run, but managed to survive. Sort of. Exodites are the ones who turned away from the path that gave birth to Slaanesh, but they still get Soulstones because they suffer the same fate when they die.

Really their view on things is one of the differences between humanity and Eldar in 40K. Humanity believes they either go to the Golden Throne to sit with their Emperor, or to the Warp where the Chaos Gods will probably torture them endlessly, but that's something. Eldar just get destroyed completely and irrecoverably. They came up with a plan that at least has a chance of working, which is a lot more than they would have otherwise.

This is indeed a grim and dark future.

#18 Lars Rune

Lars Rune

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:02 AM

Interesting to see how the topic has evolved. That's how it should be.

We must hope Game's Workshop will provide an explanation on the topic in the future :)

#19 venkelos

venkelos

• Members
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:59 PM

It's entirely possible there are Eldar who believe that it won't work, but they have a history of mankind going to endless war with them to overcome. Also right now every single one of them that dies and doesn't have their soulstone nearby has their soul devoured by Slaanesh, which only fuels Chaos. The soulstone plan is the only way to prevent this, and this is also going to fuel the birth of Y'nnead.

I think that Exodite Eldar might be the most likely to be willing to fight against this plan, but it's important to put the Eldar history in context. The Craftworld Eldar are the ones who ran from the birth of Slaanesh, and managed to escape. The Dark Eldar are the ones who didn't run, but managed to survive. Sort of. Exodites are the ones who turned away from the path that gave birth to Slaanesh, but they still get Soulstones because they suffer the same fate when they die.

Really their view on things is one of the differences between humanity and Eldar in 40K. Humanity believes they either go to the Golden Throne to sit with their Emperor, or to the Warp where the Chaos Gods will probably torture them endlessly, but that's something. Eldar just get destroyed completely and irrecoverably. They came up with a plan that at least has a chance of working, which is a lot more than they would have otherwise.

This is indeed a grim and dark future.

Every Eldar keeps their soulstone ON them, so that's no worry. Exodites might not favor the plan, but they do the same stuff, for the most part (soulstones and infinity matrix/world spirit), so they are supporting it. It's the Dark Eldar and the Harlequins who aren't playing along. The Jokers have their own net, I suppose, but the Dark Eldar just try to extend their lives; with all the internecine conflict among them, all the assassinations and those who die on raids, I don't actually know what they do to keep themselves safe from Slaanesh. Hiding in the Webway works, but dying there doesn't shield their souls, TTBOMK, and plenty die in realspace.

Oh well, I still like to think that, with their prodigious psychic power, healing/regenerating a limb should be simple enough, and if not, then a Bonesinger making a wraithbone arm, psychically attuned to the individual, and thus as good as the original arm, should be easy. If my soulstone can animate a Wraithlord, and make it move like it's alive, with its limited sensory ability, my living soul, flowing into a piece of the same stuff should be able to animate an arm, like it was mine.

Be cool if they made a character with that blurb in their story. I believe Tau have advanced enough tech to make both replacements and cybernetics. I gave my Commander for DW, Commander Coldsteel (Shas'O T'au Aloh Tak Kir'Aun Monty'r) a cybernetic arm and eye, when he lost the originals saving an Ethereal, and he's opted to keep them, instead of getting healed (it's the "Tak" in his name). Granted, I can't prove they do, but I assume that they do, and if they can, being so young, then the Eldar should find it cake.

Edited by venkelos, 21 December 2013 - 01:01 PM.

#20 Amazing Larry

Amazing Larry

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 12:31 PM

It's the Dark Eldar and the Harlequins who aren't playing along. The Jokers have their own net, I suppose, but the Dark Eldar just try to extend their lives; with all the internecine conflict among them, all the assassinations and those who die on raids, I don't actually know what they do to keep themselves safe from Slaanesh. Hiding in the Webway works, but dying there doesn't shield their souls, TTBOMK, and plenty die in realspace.

Well with the Harlequins as I understand it they're basically giving themselves fully over to The Laughing God to the extent that when they die they just get absorbed by him instead, seems like every god the Eldar have ever birthed is pretty vampiric eh? As for the Dark Eldar the fluff as I understand it and please forgive me if I'm behind because these gys get retconned every week is that they're paying the devil his due.

So like one of the reasons they're sadomasochistic sociopaths is that it's a kind of informal ritual sacrifice to Slaanesh, not that they worship hime of course they hate him even more than other Eldar if that's possible.

OR

The reason they're sadomasochistic sociopaths is because by vampiring intense psychic energy from inflicting extreme sensations on others they not only recharge their blackened shrivleed up souls but fortify them to the point that they can regenerate from any death that leaves behind so much as half an intact fingernail.

I've heard and read both explainations but like I said GW changes the hell out of these guys every time they do a codex.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS