Psyker Problem - advice needed

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Surak

Surak

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:01 AM

Ok I have recently started a new DH campaign and for a change we actually have a psyker in the group. Now the player in question prefers combat over investigation so has taken telepathy so he can speed up the investigation by implanting the thought "you will tell me what I want to know" which as per RAW the npc's get no defence against. Now this has come very close to de-railing the current investigation campaign that I'm running, so something needs to be done - but I don't want to be too heavy handed.

Anyone else had similar problems, or got any suggestions on a solution?

Regards

Surak

Knowledge is power, and power corrupts.Therefore library's are the source of all evil.

My DH beta 2 aptitude calc is here https://drive.google...dit?usp=sharing

Part of the TeamACES youtube channel http://www.youtube.c...Ha0q8lrmTRGATFA

#2 Darth Smeg

Darth Smeg

Lord Nitpicker

• Members
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 03:03 AM

Telepathy is sooo much fun. Make sure you read and understand the "Closer than Flesh" rules that apply to all Psychic Powers. It's a REALLY bad idea to go connecting minds with assumed cultists and criminals :)

Also, for your pleasure: 

http://community.fan...-over-a-psyker/

Which power is he using, by the way? I am aware of no power which does what you describe.

Edited by Darth Smeg, 27 September 2013 - 03:07 AM.

Tarald - The Dark Lord of Smeg

My House Rules for using Only War (and more) for Dark Heresy games

#3 Surak

Surak

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:45 AM

Darth,

Thanks for the feed-back - I believe the player in question is abusing the power Telepathy, he's taken the "placed sending" line a little too literally; and i'll be honest now i've re-read the powers in the cold light of day I should of told him he's using the wrong power, what he's doing is "compel" not "telepathy".

I will definately have some fun with the Closer Than Flesh info - the guy is just too quick to connect to someone else's mind.

Regards

Surak

Knowledge is power, and power corrupts.Therefore library's are the source of all evil.

#4 Morangias

Morangias

• Members
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:24 AM

Darth,

Thanks for the feed-back - I believe the player in question is abusing the power Telepathy, he's taken the "placed sending" line a little too literally; and i'll be honest now i've re-read the powers in the cold light of day I should of told him he's using the wrong power, what he's doing is "compel" not "telepathy".

I will definately have some fun with the Closer Than Flesh info - the guy is just too quick to connect to someone else's mind.

Regards

Surak

I stopped using DH psychic rules years ago, but isn't Compel restricte to physical actions the way it is in later systems?

Getting info from people is most conventionally done via the Mind Probe power, or however it's called in DH.

There is no truth in flesh, only betrayal.

There is no strenght in flesh, only weakness.
There is no constancy in flesh, only decay.
There is no certainty in flesh but death.

#5 Darth Smeg

Darth Smeg

Lord Nitpicker

• Members
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:07 AM

Morangias is right. The closest you get to making people think they want to help you is the Suggestion minor power from Disciples of the Dark Gods. It's a "Jedi Mind Trick" kind of power, and very useful, but the victim is entitled to a resist-test.

#6 Darth Smeg

Darth Smeg

Lord Nitpicker

• Members
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:08 AM

I stopped using DH psychic rules years ago, 

What do you use instead? And how have you merged these rules with DH and the Psykers advance schemes?

#7 Morangias

Morangias

• Members
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:26 AM

I stopped using DH psychic rules years ago, 

What do you use instead? And how have you merged these rules with DH and the Psykers advance schemes?

At this point, I'm using a mish-mash of psychic powers from both Black Crusade and Only War. I don't have an exact list of which ones I allow and which I don't - I just go over whatever the player wants and make calls. I keep telling myself I should sit down and merge the power trees from both games into a "psykers' handbook", maybe take some time to convert the cooler powers from other systems as well.

As for accomodating the Psyker's advance tables, you could say I didn't - psyker-related Talents that don't exist in either BC or OW don't exist in my DH games, Psy Rating is available for purchase in accordance with the advancement tables, except it works like in BC/OW (i.e. it doesn't give psychic powers at all, just contributes to the focus power roll and meeting power/Talent prerequisites). Powers are available for purchase as long as the psyker meets the prerequisites that each power conveniently has, and they cost their stated price in exp - generally, this means psykers have a lot less powers than DH assumes, and most of the really good stuff is locked behind higher ranks, but that's okay with me and my group.

There is no truth in flesh, only betrayal.

There is no strenght in flesh, only weakness.
There is no constancy in flesh, only decay.
There is no certainty in flesh but death.

#8 Magnus Grendel

Magnus Grendel

The Empire Needs You!

• Members
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:01 AM

I believe the player in question is abusing the power Telepathy, he's taken the "placed sending" line a little too literally; and i'll be honest now i've re-read the powers in the cold light of day I should of told him he's using the wrong power, what he's doing is "compel" not "telepathy".

Indeed. Doing what you describe will result in the words "you will tell me what I want to know" appearing, Professor X mind-speech style in the subject's head but will in no way actually compel them to do so.

Disciples of the Dark Gods suggestion is the power you're after.

#9 Surak

Surak

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:38 AM

Thanks for the input all - turns out the easiest solution was the direct one and have a chat with the player, he now agrees that Telepathy can't be used the way he was using it and I let him swap it for Compel, which is a better fit,

Thanks again

Surak

#10 Quietus1

Quietus1

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:36 AM

For those telepaths without access to the DoTDG book (like myself, actually), you could allow a bit of flexibility with the Compel power to pull the "Jedi Mind Trick". You could also play "touch of madness" as originally written (pre-errata): Force target to believe something, and mental trauma results from you doing so.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS