Photo

Dragon Expansion Variant: Draw Dragon Tokens not at start of turn, but instead of Adventure cards in Middle and Inner Regions

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 WarlockFiretopMountain

WarlockFiretopMountain

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:10 AM

Ignore the text on page 6: “At the start of each player’s turn, he must draw one dragon token at random from the pool and resolve its effect”.

When a Character in the Middle Region, Inner Region or Dragon Tower is instructed to draw one or more Adventure cards, instead draw an equal number of Dragon tokens. Resolve Dragon tokens in the order in which they are drawn.

When a Dragon Scale is resolved, draw a Dragon card of the same colour, which must be encountered as if it were an Adventure card. Then, place the Dragon Scale on the matching Draconic Lord.

My purpose with this variant is to limit the extent to which the Dragon expansion overwhelms the main board and its Adventure cards.

This variant limits Dragon activity to the Middle Region, and the middle to late stages of the game. It also delays the administration of the Dragon Scales until the midgame, to avoid the players becoming fatigued.

The Middle Region effectively becomes a more dangerous Dragon-themed Region, on a par with the Dungeon expansion board.

Dragon Scales and Dragon Cards will only begin to be drawn during the midgame, or if Dragon-centric Characters seek them out earlier. Characters are therefore unlikely to acquire so many Dragon Scales that they are overpowered.

Edited by WarlockFiretopMountain, 26 September 2013 - 08:13 AM.

• 0beron likes this

#2 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:18 AM

Ignore the text on page 6: “At the start of each player’s turn, he must draw one dragon token at random from the pool and resolve its effect”.

When a Character in the Middle Region, Inner Region or Dragon Tower is instructed to draw one or more Adventure cards, instead draw an equal number of Dragon tokens. Resolve Dragon tokens in the order in which they are drawn.

When a Dragon Scale is resolved, draw a Dragon card of the same colour, which must be encountered as if it were an Adventure card. Then, place the Dragon Scale on the matching Draconic Lord.

My purpose with this variant is to limit the extent to which the Dragon expansion overwhelms the main board and its Adventure cards.

This variant limits Dragon activity to the Middle Region, and the middle to late stages of the game. It also delays the administration of the Dragon Scales until the midgame, to avoid the players becoming fatigued.

The Middle Region effectively becomes a more dangerous Dragon-themed Region, on a par with the Dungeon expansion board.

Dragon Scales and Dragon Cards will only begin to be drawn during the midgame, or if Dragon-centric Characters seek them out earlier. Characters are therefore unlikely to acquire so many Dragon Scales that they are overpowered.

I kinda like this and hopefully may be able to try it. We do something similar, which I've mentioned before, basicaly delaying the drawing of tokens, but in our case we use an arbitrary and/or random standard.

No Dragon tokens are drawn, until 'after' the first Dragon is encountered through a regular encounter deck; Adventure, Dungeon, Highlands, etc.    *and Dragon Lords start off with no one of them being King. When any player draws the token/scale that finally crowns a Lord as Dragon King, that player must also encounter that Lord's deck, for the first time.

Other than that, it is the same as the intended rules, but again, scales can be drawn either early, a little later, or perhaps even way later.  But we all know a Dragon will pop up in the regular decks eventually.

#3 WarlockFiretopMountain

WarlockFiretopMountain

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:44 AM

You know, these house-rules could simply be replaced with:

'Only draw Dragon tokens at the start of your turn while in the Middle Region or Dragon Tower'.

And I'm the OP, so I'm not being rude. :)

#4 rfisha

rfisha

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:26 AM

This is a really good simple idea!  We may have to try it.  

#5 rfisha

rfisha

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:46 AM

This didn't actually have much of an impact for us as the middle region was just avoided more an the game was won through the LoD and the using the cloak of feathers.

The odd token was drawn (handful at most I think it was 3 in the end)

Nice idea though, thanks for the suggestion.

#6 talicat

talicat

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:43 AM

I like these ideas so I'm going to try them out next time I play. I had both the Dungeon and Dragon expansion out last time, and I decided to only draw dragon tokens on the Main board. The Dragon expansion is fun, but it is easy to overwhelm the rest of the game with it.

#7 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:28 AM

If anyone wishes to have a copy of my alternative Dragon rulebook, just shoot off an email to talismanamsilat@yahoo.co.uk

Ell.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS