• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#61 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:17 AM

Jackman, Eihort is quite a new addition to the Cthulhu Mythos pantheon: it firstly appeared in a Ramsey Campbell's story called "Before the Storm", even though there was mention of it in an earlier tale (The Franklyn Paragraphs, 1973). I guess the VG arrived later

Joe: yes, I'm aware of that, Avi liked that game sooo much :laughter: thanks for the tip, though!

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#62 ZoogyStardust

ZoogyStardust

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:33 AM

who did you choose for your romance?

"I hear they got a name for rain
And wind and fire only
But when you're lost and all alone
There ain't no words but lonely
And I'm a lost and lonely man
Without a star to guide me... :( "

But I'm working on it :P !

Somehow I feel that your birth right around Tolkien's death (1974?) was a signal for you to take up his banner.

1973 actually, I'll turn 41 in a little more than a month.

"Abstainer : A weak person who yields to the temptation of denying himself a pleasure." - Ambrose Bierce

#63 jackman51

jackman51

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:35 PM

Speaking to the choir Zoogy--speakin' to the choir....

Edited by jackman51, 25 December 2013 - 12:29 PM.

#64 subochre

subochre

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:59 PM

It's funny; much as I've loved Starcraft, I was acutely conscious of the usual criticism that the game is overwhelmingly about base and economic management, and much of the actual fighting is just an afterthought (at least at the level I play at; I dunno what the pros are like). 

But then they made Warcraft 3 and "MOBAs" and such, and I realized that wow, combat really isn't the fun part.

#65 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:09 PM

I have to tell you, subochre, I enjoy the management of resources as much as I enjoy clashing with the enemy.

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#66 jackman51

jackman51

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 12:54 AM

An example of pro play if anyone is interested--only Part 1 of 4 part video shown. Complete with a commentator to give it that sporting event feel. At the bottom right of the image is an icon to allow you to view it fullscreen.

I can't say I"m good enough that base management is "fun" but certainly at the pro level build order and proper queing of units within your structures is critical if you want to counter your opponents likely moves against you and you better be scouting him ASAP.

That said it's much more fun as an observer to watch armies fight. Incredible how well the pros micromanage stacks of units which often are of different types.

If Part 1 interested you here is the concluding vid for this group of 4. Remember 2 and 3 have been skipped just to get the exciting ending.

Edited by jackman51, 31 December 2013 - 01:15 AM.

#67 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 06:12 AM

Looks awesome, Jackman, thanks for sharing :)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#68 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 06:32 AM

It's always impressive to see the Masters play the game!

The Professor

#69 jackman51

jackman51

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:56 AM

Well here's the thing---you have to be a typist cuz your fingers are literally flying around the keyboard. Naturally you must also be good at macroing your units and structures and remember without even thinking about it where the keys are that give specific commands to your units. It's like your hands are using the force if you'll permit me to use an old Star Wars phrase. Probably explains why so many of these pros are quite young and for whatever other reason many of the best are Koreans.

It's quite fascinating and amusing watching computer hookups to tournaments that Blizzard sponsors all over the world which really give some pretty substantial payouts to the winners--you can literally become wealthy if you're very good. Who says gamers are wasting time doing this! In Korea you're a media and national superstar much like the winners of the Super Bowl football game would be in the USA. The stage is full of big giant TV screens for the audience to watch the action complete with sports-like commentators who conduct interviews with other past pros and current players all while you're hearing cheering fans in the audience rooting for the actions of their chosen hero player even with signs in the audience some of whom are even trash talking. I'm pretty sure there's even a TV station specifically for the gamers. Not exactly a physical game but still the nervous strain can get to you when sitting in those little isolation booths each player has to when facing each other.

Moral of the story: Don't waste your lives doing silly things like going to school or getting a real job. Just get good at StarCraft and game your way to fame, fortune, and celebrity hood. ;) :D :lol: Just be careful not to let this Geeky notoriety get to you and start taking hard drugs. :rolleyes: :P

One last vid example ( I promise--I know this isn't the forum for this) but couldn't resist posting the last part of what I consider the greatest StarCraft pro game ever played. Stefano was a well known and elite French Zerg player vs Kiwikaki as the Protoss. It was part of a series of games these two played in a tournament a few years back. Notice Kiwikaki's use of his mothership to cloak his units and the War of the World's look of the Protoss Colossi units as they fire their lasers. And then his Vortex...unmatched game special effects and skill controlling their units.

Sooo...still think you're good at the game? And Julia there's your Eihort led Broods (the Zerg). Did you buy it yet!? :P

Edited by jackman51, 04 January 2014 - 11:00 AM.

#70 Tox

Tox

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:38 AM

I will always and forever say that Cavedog did it absolutely better. You know what I'm talking about :) Even if SC2 is way more popular, it's still something that people play Cavedog's original 16 years after the release (including me).

#71 jackman51

jackman51

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 12:26 PM

Yes Tox I much prefer the original storyline to this Kerrigan as Zerg leader stuff we see now. The new game really is still being fleshed out balance wise with constant computer updates but there is no doubt in my mind the graphics in the new series are absolutely stunning with a HD capable monitor as well as the sound effects. I'll defer to better players as to how well this game plays compared to the original.

#72 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:40 PM

jackman,

It's funny that you should mention this line of thought on this forum.  A few months ago, I spent a few hours at a local UPS franchise weighing my Crafthulhu pieces for shipment and don't you know the guy behind the counter is part of an StarCraft group...one of his team members had the chance to go to Essen for one of the myriad championships.  Small world.

Well, I'm slowly getting back to the game...unfortunately, I have to buy a new version of the old game that's compatible with Vista and then head over to SCII.

Cheers,

Joe

The Professor

#73 subochre

subochre

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:32 PM

I will always and forever say that Cavedog did it absolutely better. You know what I'm talking about :) Even if SC2 is way more popular, it's still something that people play Cavedog's original 16 years after the release (including me).

So, I started college in '97, and lemme tell you, the RTS wars were very hotly fought in my dorm.  Mostly it was between the Starcraft revolutionaries and the Red Alert loyalists, but there were a few who evangelized for Total Annihilation too.  And since it was by far the more innovative and ambitious offering, I really wanted to love its strategically complex and meticulously crafted nondescript planes and cannons more than the Protoss cracklestorms and shouting balls of energy, but the whole thing just felt so boring and sterile.  I guess I'd rather play a fun game than a good one :P (or, less provocatively, I guess I'm more of an Ameritrasher than a wargamer)

• Tox likes this

#74 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:37 PM

subochre,

I tried recently to load my SC and BW games onto my Vista powered laptop...no go.  So, it appears as though I'll need to find a way to get it installed on this machine or by a new version...or simply get a new laptop.  Anyway, I haven't dropped the coin for SC II yet even though it's been a few years now.

Cheers,

Joe

The Professor

#75 subochre

subochre

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:43 AM

From what I hear, it's possible to install it in XP Compatibility Mode or something--but then I'm only slightly more current on Windows releases than on Starcraft releases :lol:

#76 jackman51

jackman51

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:30 AM

The original SW and BW--you still have yours eh? I'd be surprised if those ran on anything past Windows 98. Of course I too am not particularly tech savy.

At least as bad as my control over the units and macroing ability with my structures I was able to somehow solitaire the Original SC and BW campaigns. Not with SC 2. I won't even buy Heart of the Swarm because of this fact--well maybe when it drops to like 15 or 20 dollars some day.

#77 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:45 PM

subochre and jackman,

I still have them and am surprised that the new systems doesn't run the older game.  Anyway, I still have my Blizzard Battle.net account, so I downloaded SC II to see how it works.  It's impressive.  By the way, because I waited a few years, both Wings of Liberty and Heart of the Swarm cost $19.99 per game.

Cheers,

Joe

• subochre likes this

The Professor

#78 jackman51

jackman51

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 01:35 AM

Heart of the Swarm at 19.99 already? I don't think that game has been out for 6 months yet. Will check it out.

#79 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:25 AM

jackman,

Good news...I registered my 14-year old game at Battle.net and could download the StarCraft: Anthology which includes the original game and Brood War.  Even better...the system must have had all of my files (as I never had it loaded on this computer) and I do not need to go through the entire story line again.  All of the individual scenarios have been completed so I can play any one of them.  Good Times!

Cheers,

Joe

• jackman51 likes this

The Professor

#80 jackman51

jackman51

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:45 AM

And now the game runs on your Vista powered laptop or is this a different machine?

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS