• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#41 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 5,707 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:19 AM

You know, Tox, you've made my day :) I didn't know it was downloadable (didn't think about the possibility either), it's so *awesome*!! Considering I'd have gladly given them 20 $ for the game, 7 EUR is a magnificent price! And I didn't know about the successor as well! Gonna contribute on their site!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

So happy!! :D thx :D

• Tox and jackman51 like this
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#42 jackman51

jackman51

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:14 AM

I did have and started playing Torment but ultimately couldn't get used to how esoteric and weird it was so I don't think I ever finished it. It was an aweful lot of text reading as well and I couldn't quite get into such odd characters as Morte the talking skull. I was younger then so perhaps I'll give it one more try if it will still actually run on my current PC. Naturally then I'll look into the successor as well.

And Julia it's like I'm looking at a female clone-I too played the Icewind Dale series though my memory of them has faded significantly. Sounds like you'll be getting back into video games after all.

Also, played and finished Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs last week. Anyone heard of it or played it?

I also have not heard of this one. How about an old Naughty Dog (the company that brought you The Last of Us for the PS3) produced game for the Sega Genesis called Rings of Power?

Yep Tox it would have been expensive for Bioware to do that ending for ME3 but this is still the ending I think of when I finished my game. I played through it three times myself and was a total Paragon each time. Darn it though you still couldn't make it with some of the characters you wanted to-lol. :wub:  :(  :lol:

Edited by jackman51, 30 September 2013 - 12:22 AM.

#43 Tox

Tox

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:22 AM

I did have and started playing Torment but ultimately couldn't get used to how esoteric and weird it was so I don't think I ever finished it. It was an aweful lot of text reading as well and I couldn't quite get into such odd characters as Morte the talking skull. I was younger then so perhaps I'll give it one more try if it will still actually run on my current PC. Naturally then I'll look into the successor as well.

And Julia it's like I'm looking at a female clone-I too played the Icewind Dale series though my memory of them has faded significantly. Sounds like you'll be getting back into video games all.

Also, played and finished Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs last week. Anyone heard of it or played it?

I also have not heard of this one. How about an old Naughty Dog (the company that brought you The Last of Us for the PS3) produced game for the Sega Genesis called Rings of Power?

Yep Tox it would have been expensive for Bioware to do that ending for ME3 but this is still the ending I think of when I finished my game. I played through it three times myself and was a total Paragon each time. Darn it though you still couldn't make it with some of the characters you wanted to-lol. :wub:  :(  :lol:

Well playing Torment was actually quite like reading a book :D Since I was and am into books a lot, maybe that's why I liked it so much.

And the characters can't get any better than PS: T, in my opinion. They are the most original I have ever encountered, if you bother to unveil their background and what binds them to you. Or you could just manipulate them and use them and discard them (Practical One, looking at you :D)

Amnesia and Amnesia: AMFP are two games based in the same universe, but not direct sequels, by Frictional Games and thechineseroom, respectively. They're horror-adventures and amongst the best I've played lately. Play them right (in the dark and alone) and you won't be forgetting them any time soon :D Frictional has also made the Penumbra trilogy, also a horror-adventure, although in a different setting (a bunker in Greenland). All exquisite games with wonderful mood, story and made by big Lovecraft fans (just think that Penumbra's protagonist is named Philip H. and the engine that powers all of them is the "HPL Engine" :D)

I've never heard of Rings of Power and I only own my laptop and a X360 (which has sat on the shelf, unused, since April now) so I can't play Last of Us. When I was little I had a Sega Mega Drive and all I really remember is playing Sonic the Hedgehog and Alex the Kid :)

Julia, make sure that if you buy Torment, you get all 4 mods too. They're all there on the page with instructions on how to get them working. I've never used them (they increase the resolution for modern computers, fix bugs and add back some content that didn't make it in the game) but I would surely install them were I to play again :)

#44 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 5,707 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:06 PM

@Jackman: aye, it seems like somebody's responsible for this :P :P :P seriously, you sparkled my curiosity, and I'm happy for this

@Tox: thanks for highlightin the 4 mods. Sure, I'll get them too :)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#45 jackman51

jackman51

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:38 PM

Julia in case you haven't already looked into Columbia Games' East Front you can listen to this Dice Tower video review. The game has apparently been updated since I have played it last to East Front 2 with accompanying map and possibly component changes--I'll have to check it myself. BGG has a forum dedicated to the game and even if you don't know how to play the Strategy session has a number of interesting comments. You should be able to tell whether this title would interest you at all.

http://boardgamegeek.com/video/15810

Also with regard to Mass Effect 3 here is a link to one of a great many video clips online which illustrates just part of the dialogue during the romance of just one of the possible love interests in the game. It was my romance as my "Shephard" was a woman when I played but of course you can play a male as well. Perhaps this might sway you if you're still on the fence and give you a good idea of the quality of the writing and video clips.

SPOILER ALERTS

http://www.google.co...D-oW7DdhYNRALiw

And later...

http://www.google.co...CWWL84IvJFgOqcg

Star Trekkies would be proud.

• Julia likes this

#46 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 5,707 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:06 PM

Good to know all of this, thanks Jackman!

#47 jackman51

jackman51

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:11 PM

http://boardgamegeek...ncaster-vs-York

http://www.boardgame...rs-of-the-roses

Okay just resurrecting this thread to ask if any of the board gamers who answered here before ever heard of or played either of these War of the Roses block component games? Game of Thrones sort of rekindled my interest in the genre and any thoughts on either title would be cool to listen to.

#48 ZoogyStardust

ZoogyStardust

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:19 AM

I've heard some magic word of summoning (like D&D and Baldur's Gate) so I felt compelled to post here !

I can't say I'm a big videogame fan, but they're useful if I have nobody to play with me ! Well, they were a bit more useful before I get my hands on AH, as I tend to play it rether than videogames nowadays.

This said, I still like to replay through Baldur's Gate ( :wub: ) from time to time - when I have time. On the opposite, when I don't have time enough - or space, as the table I'm using for AH also serves other purposes - it's Diablo II.

And finally, speaking about videogames, I noticed you didn't mentionned Alone in the dark (the first one), Shadow of the Comet and Prisoner of Ice which were all very Lovecraft influenced (well, Shadow of the Comet is much more than simply influenced, it really is mythos based).

@Jackman, sorry I can't be of much help with your question :( . Except for AH, I'm not a big fan of boardgames, and I can't really envisage wargames with hexagones and without miniatures (that's why my table is sometime to cluttered to play AH :P  !).

• jackman51 likes this

"Abstainer : A weak person who yields to the temptation of denying himself a pleasure." - Ambrose Bierce

#49 jackman51

jackman51

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:56 AM

First Zoogey I love the name. If you were old enough--and I don't know your age--I'd say you were from the 1960-1970ish hippie era in the US.

Your remarks about playing videogames when there's no one else to play with certainly hit home for me as I have rarely been in a relationship and have few friends that I see a lot. Which also explains my generally solitaire board gaming as well---sometimes like right about now I consider bg purchases such as War of the Roses that I shouldn't because they aren't suited to playing alone. So maybe they see action once or twice then get shelved, sometimes for years, until the next time my constantly changing and often brief interest in the genre resurfaces.

As I told Julia on this thread if you liked Baldur's Gate then definitely try the Mass Effect series of video games as the links on other posts on this thread will certainly show you. I also played Diablo 2 and indeed have played Diablo 3 but for some reason 3 just doesn't hold my interest like 2 did. I have a high level monk in 3 but now I only occasionally boot up the game when I really feel like it's time for mind numbing and now even boring experiences. I wish I was better at Blizzard's other major non MMORPG StarCraft. Watching the pros play that game makes me wish I was more of a typist in order to compete with such a high skill level. I am not familiar with the other titles you mentioned except for Alone in the Dark but alas I never did try it--perhaps I'll reconsider.

Soon I'll be purchasing a PS4 (and unfortunately missing out on Titanfall or any more Halos---oh wait--maybe I'll get both systems) but for now it's AH or maybe now War of the Roses. Probably if I would stop watching so much TV like Game of Thrones my attention span would increase and I could save myself money but I guess I pathetically justify it all as somehow broadening my horizons. Hmm maybe I should try medication LOL.

#50 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:11 PM

jackman51,

I did LOL when I saw that you mentioned StarCraft.  I enjoy the game immensely (including Brood War) and having watched the Koreans play this game, I'm stunned by their prowess, but when you're fingers are flying so fast across the keyboard...how much FUN is it to play?

Cheers,

Joe

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#51 Tox

Tox

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:33 PM

The adrenaline rush can be quite fun (yes, you can get a rush playing video games :) )

• jackman51 likes this

#52 jackman51

jackman51

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 05:26 PM

Sure it can Tox especially while you're chain sucking on Coke cans while your doing it :P.

I tell you Joe I don't know how the pros do it with StarCraft. Watching them makes me realize how much I truly suck at the game. I'm pretty much a search and peck as a regular typist so by the time I issue a command to a group of my units across the map a pro did ten things to me and don't get me started wondering how those guys manage to micromanage individual units in their formations while in combat. I'm having a hard enough time just trying to beat the computer much less even trying a skilled human--I wish I could because man those Koreans are treated like sports superstars and even movie celebrities and a lot of them are only 15 or so years old! There's a Russian player that goes by the name White-ra that is at least kinda close to my age so that's a little reassuring anyhow.

Nope gotta stick more to RPG comp games or board games. I presume you've never heard of War of the Roses published by Z-Man games?

#53 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:23 PM

jackman51,

You're absolutely correct, but I don't think I "suck" at the game...I just really enjoy it at a much slower pace.  As I've jokingly mentioned elsewhere, I'm a gaming monogamist:

RPG:  D&D 3.5

Computer:  StarCraft

Board: Arkham Horror

Hex & Counter Wargame: The War: Europe 1939-1945

No, I've never heard of War of the Roses (though I have heard of Z-Man).

Cheers,

Joe

The Professor

#54 jackman51

jackman51

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 02:03 AM

Hex & Counter Wargame: The War: Europe 1939-1945

I looked this up the other day--looks strikingly similar to Avalon Hill's old Third Reich. Fair assessment?

#55 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:16 AM

jackman51,

Yes...and no.  Ernie played 3R for many years and knows (and have played with) many of the designers of such games as A World at War.  He tried very hard to make a game that 3R through its many iterations should have been.  It's an outstanding game and the 12 scenarios really teach players the game from the ground-up.  If you want to read my review, head over to BGG.

Cheers,

Joe

The Professor

#56 ZoogyStardust

ZoogyStardust

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:36 AM

First Zoogey I love the name. If you were old enough--and I don't know your age--I'd say you were from the 1960-1970ish hippie era in the US.

Born the year Professor Tolkien died, some months before the first release of Dungeons & Dragons...

"I was born under a roleplaying star,

Dices are made for rolling, cardboard boxes are made to pack

I've never seen a fumble that didn't looked better rolled back

I was born under a roleplaying star..."

Your remarks about playing videogames when there's no one else to play with certainly hit home for me

I'm living in a small town. There once was a gaming club, but it always relies heavily on teenagers, and now, they tend to be more inclined to play videogames than reading huge rulebooks in foreign languages, or painting a few hundred wargaming miniatures :( . That's why we are playing miniatures games most of the time, rarely being more than 2 or 3 players at the same time. We're playing about twice a month - more often during holidays, when old timers come back around.

As I told Julia on this thread if you liked Baldur's Gate then definitely try the Mass Effect series of video games

I'll follow your advice for sure and take a look at this - as soon as I will have finished up paintaing a bunch of zombies and survivors, what's left to be painted in my Roman army, build a few Middle Earth themed scenery, and finished up some cowboys and old west themed scenery for the next gaming convention... :wacko:

Well, hopefully before the end of 2014 :D  ...

Diablo and Diablo II were very atmospheric. Diablo III... well, it just doesn't have the dark fantasy feeling of the others.

"Abstainer : A weak person who yields to the temptation of denying himself a pleasure." - Ambrose Bierce

#57 jackman51

jackman51

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:23 PM

Ernie

Hmmm...fascinating as Spock would say. I know a Weston Erni who was an excellent 3Reich player back when it was popular---it's like the Twilight Zone me thinks Joe. He does some game design work for Victory Point Games and published a few games of his own and might eventually show up on these boards under the monicker Gamebreaker.

Zoogey cool you have the patience and skill to paint miniatures--I have a store owner friend who used to be heavily involved with this as well. If you do get involved with Mass Effect just be aware it is a trilogy of games each getting better than the last but nearly spoiled by a weak ending. Also it is sci-fi. I'll look forward to your comments on it someday--who did you choose for your romance?

Somehow I feel that your birth right around Tolkien's death (1974?) was a signal for you to take up his banner.

Edited by jackman51, 22 December 2013 - 01:30 PM.

#58 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 5,707 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 07:48 PM

I enjoy the game immensely (including Brood War)

Sounds like a game Eihort could immensely enjoy...

• subochre and jackman51 like this

#59 jackman51

jackman51

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:57 PM

Sounds like a game Eihort could immensely enjoy...

Well actually it wouldn't surprise me if the inspiration for Eihort and his broods came from StarCraft. The race of Zerg do seem similar to this AO perhaps with Eihort as the Overmind itself. Course I'm not really sure if Lovecraft invented Eihort and thus was before StarCraft or whether Eihort is a recent concoction. The term being "zerged" in some MMORPG's comes from StarCraft and represents being swarmed over by a mass of attackers. I even sometimes hear the term used in more mundane conversational topics.

So in sum Julia I think you should investigate this thesis for us--go buy and play StarCraft and let us know what you think ;) :D.  Which came first StarCraft broods or Eihort's?

#60 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:00 AM

Oh, yes, Julia...if you want a great Real-Time Strategy game for the computer which possesses a well-written story arc, StarCraft is quite impressive..

The Professor

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS