Distracted?

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#21 Schwaig

Schwaig

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:09 PM

Schwaig: I think you would appreciate the game ~ by the way, did you mean "inexperienced" in your comment?  It has everything at the strategic level.  I wrote a fairly comprehensive review over on the bgg and consimworld fora.

[..]

Uh, yeah. You're right of course.

#22 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:03 PM

I read a lot of posts ;)

Anyway, check out my review and I'll be curious if you pick it up for yourself

• Schwaig likes this

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#23 jackman51

jackman51

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:02 PM

Julia you'd probably like the Columbia games then since they all are Block games--so much easier to handle than cardboard counters and a great fog of war feel. East Front, the war pitting Germany and the Soviet Union was a fav of mine. There are other games in that series which can be linked into a giant WW2 grand game in Europe. I think I still also have West Front.

Joe playing Dungeons and Dragons was something I also did long ago but have not been involved in it since before the third edition of the rules came out. I actually saw Gary Gygax several times while he was at TSR here in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin and also when GenCon was in either Kenosha or Milwaukee (the Convention was moved to Indianapolis several years ago). However I still play video games based loosely on it such as the aforementioned Dragon Age--I'm looking forward to the next itineration of that series for either the PS4 or XBOX 1. Used to love the Baldur's Gate titles also when they were on the PC. As to ooVoo I don't even know what that is-please explain.

Shucks remembering all this stuff here now makes me feel that maybe I was really was quite the Geek after all.

#24 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:49 AM

jackman: seeing Gygax must have been amazing...he started something that has absolutely exploded across myriad genres and time-periods.  I have friends who live in Kenosha...small world! 

ooVoo is a Skype-like interface for one-to-one or many-to-many webcam conversations.  Two things that I really love about ooVoo...1.) the audio/video quality is better than Skype and 2.) you can leave video messages for friends or family. Check it out.

it's okay...we re geeks before it was fashionable! :D

• jackman51 likes this

The Professor

#25 Schwaig

Schwaig

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:52 AM

I read a lot of posts ;)

Anyway, check out my review and I'll be curious if you pick it up for yourself

That's a stunning review over there at BGG. I think I will get it, but maybe not in the very moment, I still have exams in the next few weeks. Not sure if this is the right time now for a new complex board game :)

#26 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,112 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 03:14 AM

Jackman, thanks, I'll look at some of the Columbia titles. At the moment, I really like GMT games, both block games (Sekigahara, Pax Baltica, 1805: Sea of Glory among the others) and "normal" cardboard tokens games (Here I stand, The Virgin Queen, Red Winter, etc). The real pity is that we often do not have time for them, or enough people to play with.

Aaaaand... big fan of Baldur's Gate here. Especially of Shadows of Amn / Throne of Baal. But there was no 3D, no PoV, no nothing too "modern" and they were greatly enjoyable because of this (at least to me). A friend of mine tried to have me playing Halo and another Batman one, and after three hours I was still trying to understand how to move... not for me!

Julia you'd probably like the Columbia games then since they all are Block games--so much easier to handle than cardboard counters and a great fog of war feel. East Front, the war pitting Germany and the Soviet Union was a fav of mine. There are other games in that series which can be linked into a giant WW2 grand game in Europe. I think I still also have West Front.

Joe playing Dungeons and Dragons was something I also did long ago but have not been involved in it since before the third edition of the rules came out. I actually saw Gary Gygax several times while he was at TSR here in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin and also when GenCon was in either Kenosha or Milwaukee (the Convention was moved to Indianapolis several years ago). However I still play video games based loosely on it such as the aforementioned Dragon Age--I'm looking forward to the next itineration of that series for either the PS4 or XBOX 1. Used to love the Baldur's Gate titles also when they were on the PC. As to ooVoo I don't even know what that is-please explain.

Shucks remembering all this stuff here now makes me feel that maybe I was really was quite the Geek after all.

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#27 jackman51

jackman51

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 10:32 AM

jackman: seeing Gygax must have been amazing...he started something that has absolutely exploded across myriad genres and time-periods.  I have friends who live in Kenosha...small world! 

ooVoo is a Skype-like interface for one-to-one or many-to-many webcam conversations.  Two things that I really love about ooVoo...1.) the audio/video quality is better than Skype and 2.) you can leave video messages for friends or family. Check it out.

it's okay...we re geeks before it was fashionable! :D

Gygax by accounts I have read was somewhat of an odd collation of Geek, party person, and ruthless businessman. His infighting with Dungeons and Dragons co-creator Dave Arnessan over whose game it really was managed to not only embitter them toward each other but also turned a number of fans against Gary who, because he felt he actually put their combined ideas into print and marketed them, was refusing to give Arnessan any credit at all. I can vaguely recall in the late 70's and early 80's going to an early Gen Con at University of Wisconsin Parkside campus in Kenosha actually seeing people carrying signs demanding Gygax share credit with his partner. It wasn't until much later when both were nearing the end that I believe they reconciled.

Naturally as D and D took off and Gygax got rich he started partying a lot--I saw him at the Kenosha campus with some attractive ladies though I don't know if he ever married. He formed TSR in Lake Geneva but incredibly somehow managed to lose shareholder majority control over it. TSR was eventually sold to Wizards of the Coast who are best known for Magic the Gathering and now Wizards is part of the Hasbro toy company. Gygax, attempted to market his own version of D and D in the meantime but more than once as he was in Convention panels discussing it he was served with cease and desist orders to which he would blithely say to people present--" Oh look another one!".  I'm not entirely sure but I think Gary was severly strapped for cash before I believe he ultimately was able to settle with Wizards to get his name restored to the D and D product line and I think even marketed a different fantasy system through them. He passed away just a few years ago.

Toward the end if you didn't know who he was you might have mistaken him for just another crusty old fart which is what he looked like the last time I saw him which was at Gen Con the last year it was in Milwaukee around I think 2003 maybe I can't quite recall.

Thanks for info on ooVoo --perhaps I'll check it out.

Geeks may be "cool" now ---I am thankful for shows like The Big Bang Theory which to tell you the truth I can see a part of me in more than one of the characters. Long may its flag wave.

Sorry about my crappy edit skills. Obviously much of this post is not a quote from you you Joe.

Edited by jackman51, 27 September 2013 - 11:25 AM.

#28 jackman51

jackman51

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 10:55 AM

Julia I'll check out some of the titles you mentioned particularly some of the naval ones. Most of my interest is around WW2 but here and there I wander into other arenas as well.

Baldur's Gate! Told you you played at least some video games. That was indeed a well crafted series- I think the first that introduced the idea of being able to romance other in game characters. If you liked that I strongly recommend the Mass Effect games which are more scifi based but with the possible exception of the ending in the concluding third game was exceptionally well written. The ending produced a lot of fan outrage so much so that Bioware actually redid it but most fans still were not placated. If you check it out read this link after you finish them otherwise check out this fan's idea as to how the ending should have gone.

http://arkis.deviant...ILERS-289902125

Edited by jackman51, 27 September 2013 - 11:31 AM.

#29 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,112 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:43 PM

I see what you mean. WWII is big enough to absorb your whole gaming life... that's why I never tried. Still, my husband has a great interest / passion for the Pacific Theatre, so, I guess, sooner or later... :)

Right, Jaheira (For the Fallen!!), and you're allowed to romance with her if you were a male character. It was kinda funny :)

I'll check the Mass Effect games, then. Still, time is a major issue, but who knows? Thanks for pointing this out!

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#30 jackman51

jackman51

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 03:29 PM

The funny part of that whole romance thing from my view was that I had no idea you could do it when I was playing. I was playing a female Fighter/Magic-User and I later recalled Anomen kept asking my character annoying questions to the point where I told him to shut the heck up and that I wasn't interested in his problems. I guess that was me rejecting his "advances" and since female characters had  few other options for suitors that was the end of that. It was only after a friend cued me in as to what was going on with his character that I even realized what I had done. Just as well since most people who played the game thought Anomen was a weeny.

You'll find Mass Effect will give you romantic options as well even with members of another species. And even same sex relationships. Take that Star Trek!

Edited by jackman51, 27 September 2013 - 03:30 PM.

• The Professor likes this

#31 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:11 PM

jackman1,

Thanks for the interesting background on Gygax...quite a lively story!

Cheers,

Joe

The Professor

#32 subochre

subochre

• Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:48 PM

The discussion's moved on quite a bit, but Schwaig, if your Arkham Diplomacy list isn't full yet, feel free to add me too.  I've only ever played it once, and have found that Rex largely scratches the "bullying, backstabbing, and deterministic combat" itch for me, but I'd definitely be interested in exploring it further.  (Wargames too, for that matter, although it's been really hard to get anyone in my group interested in such things; I keep meaning to pick up something relatively popular and accessible, like Memoir '44, or Rommel, or Napoleon's Triumph, or one of those new GMT counterinsurgency games like Cuba Libre, but we'll see...)

• Schwaig likes this

#33 jackman51

jackman51

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:41 PM

Actually I do have one GMT title I recently picked up from Origins this year--Commands and Colors Napoleonics. I got it at a good price so one of these days I'll actually have to read and play it. Problem is, as with all of you, opponents for this sort of thing ain't easy to find. When I take the time to learn it mayhaps I'll speak to you about it again Julia.

#34 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,112 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:57 AM

@Subochre: Cuba Libre sounds like an interesting title (and something I love to drink :whistle: )

@Jackman: Sure! I haven't played it so far, but read great reviews, so I'd be more than happy to talk about this game with you :)

#35 Schwaig

Schwaig

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:32 AM

@Subochre: Glad to hear you're on board. Aren't too much until now.

Anyone who is interested, let me know.

#36 Tox

Tox

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:05 AM

Julia I'll check out some of the titles you mentioned particularly some of the naval ones. Most of my interest is around WW2 but here and there I wander into other arenas as well.

Baldur's Gate! Told you you played at least some video games. That was indeed a well crafted series- I think the first that introduced the idea of being able to romance other in game characters. If you liked that I strongly recommend the Mass Effect games which are more scifi based but with the possible exception of the ending in the concluding third game was exceptionally well written. The ending produced a lot of fan outrage so much so that Bioware actually redid it but most fans still were not placated. If you check it out read this link after you finish them otherwise check out this fan's idea as to how the ending should have gone.

http://arkis.deviant...ILERS-289902125

Hello jackman, interesting link for ME3 :) It wouldn't have been too hard to actually do it like that...it's the only game in the ME series I have "only" played through twice.

Since a lot of you have played and loved Baldur's Gate, what about Planescape: Torment? How many have heard of it? I remember it as *the* best game I played until my 20s. It's similar to BG in terms of isometric perspective and 6-character party and combat, but everything else is different. And so, so twisted and awesome and memorable :)

Also, played and finished Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs last week. Anyone heard of it or played it?

#37 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,112 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:16 AM

I'd have loved to play Torment, but sadly I didn't have any chance to. From that series, I played (and loved) the two Baldur's gate with their bonus material (Tales from the Sword Cost and Throne of Baal) and the two Icewind Dale games, the first one with the Heart of Fury mode on since the very beginning (man, that was a Hell of a game!!). The second one had a bug, and I stopped in a cavern filled with lava because there was no way to have the encounter with giants that would have allowed me to go on with the story. I tried on-line and with a guide downloaded from I-don't-remember-where, and there was no solution. I had no previous savefile, so I quit (no interest in playing again 60+ hours to reach the very same point without knowing what had happened)

Now I'll say something for whom hard-core videogamers would consider me a heretic: those games where perfect. Great graphics, great music, great and complex story, and an incredible series of tactical options, and it's a pity they had to change all of this. I'd have bought countless other games done in the same way (and I'd have loved to see a reissue with this graphic of old time classics, from Eye of the Beholder to all the Dungeons and Dragons vintage game)

This said, back to cooking (I just won an incredible X-Wing game thanks to a scandalous good luck with dice)

#38 Schwaig

Schwaig

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:44 AM

Not quite the same and a bit older, but do you also know the Gothic-Series from Pyranha Bites?

#39 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,112 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:55 AM

Nope, sorry :(

#40 Tox

Tox

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:40 AM

I'd have loved to play Torment, but sadly I didn't have any chance to. From that series, I played (and loved) the two Baldur's gate with their bonus material (Tales from the Sword Cost and Throne of Baal) and the two Icewind Dale games, the first one with the Heart of Fury mode on since the very beginning (man, that was a Hell of a game!!). The second one had a bug, and I stopped in a cavern filled with lava because there was no way to have the encounter with giants that would have allowed me to go on with the story. I tried on-line and with a guide downloaded from I-don't-remember-where, and there was no solution. I had no previous savefile, so I quit (no interest in playing again 60+ hours to reach the very same point without knowing what had happened)

Now I'll say something for whom hard-core videogamers would consider me a heretic: those games where perfect. Great graphics, great music, great and complex story, and an incredible series of tactical options, and it's a pity they had to change all of this. I'd have bought countless other games done in the same way (and I'd have loved to see a reissue with this graphic of old time classics, from Eye of the Beholder to all the Dungeons and Dragons vintage game)

This said, back to cooking (I just won an incredible X-Wing game thanks to a scandalous good luck with dice)

You know, you can get it here: http://www.gog.com/g...nescape_torment Actually, this is one of the few times the game is NOT on sale, so if you wait a bit it will probably be on sale again (usually 30-80%). Even if 7 euro is not that much anyway.

Part of the team (including Chris Avellone, the lead designer) behind Torment is also working on a spiritual successor (http://www.kickstart...menera?ref=live). Obviously I funded the project :) Look at it! It's isometric! The music is by Mark Morgan! It has an awesome and original setting! Even if this game manages to convey half of the emotions PS: T did, it's worth it.

Schwaig, I've played Gothic 1. There's very few things I remember about it, except it being set in a magic force-field prison and the beetle-ragù :) Oh, and NPC's had schedules...

• Julia and jackman51 like this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS