Distracted?

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 jackman51

jackman51

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:13 PM

Okay a bit off topic but how many of you are using perfectly good Arkham Horror time to play GTA 5 instead?! :P  :rolleyes:

Edited by jackman51, 25 September 2013 - 08:22 PM.

#2 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:49 AM

At the risk of sounding a bit thick...GTA?

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#3 jackman51

jackman51

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:03 AM

As I said it's off topic but GTA is Grand Theft Auto 5 the video game. Some of us waste our lives on two gaming mediums-in this case board and electronic -heck sometimes at the same time. :D

#4 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,260 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:28 AM

Sorry, pal, I'll always choose a boardgame over a videogame. Guess I'm more in the roaming 20's than in the electronic new century... The only thing I know about GTA is a line from Leonard in The Big Bang Theory sayin' "we are *always* the good guys. We pay the prostitutes in GTA..." It's kinda fascinating...

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#5 jackman51

jackman51

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:16 AM

And then Sheldon being shocked when learning that Leonard had lied to him about them even being prostitutes.....

I'll play both mediums and usually find myself in stretches where I am doing one or the other almost exclusively. If I hadn't sold my Xbox 360 to maximize my trade in value to Gamestop just before GTA's release I'd probably be playing it right now.

But I can wait for the PC or next-gen version that will surely come and in the meantime I get to meet all you terrific people here on these forums.

If you watch TV it's not too much further to a video game---I even watched the 2009 version of the Dunwich Horror the other night on the SyFy station.

#6 Jake yet again

Jake yet again

• Members
  • 644 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:21 AM

I'm greatly enjoying GTA V, but if it's a choice between spending time with my mates or playing a video game, the social event wins out every time.

• Julia and jackman51 like this

Lovecraft Country Horror - A completely FREE Big Box expansion for Arkham Horror, exploring the minor locations of the Cthulhu Mythos. Contains: Lovecraft Country Board, 16 Investigators, 4 Ancient Ones, 16 Skills, 32 Common Items, 24 Unique Items, 10 Spells, 16 Music of Erich Zann cards, 76 Leads, 4 Allies, 32 Monsters, 24 Injuries and Madnesses, 54 Mythos Cards, 41 Outer World Encounters, 52 Location Encounters for each Neighbourhood.

#7 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,260 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:30 AM

If you watch TV it's not too much further to a video game---I even watched the 2009 version of the Dunwich Horror the other night on the SyFy station.

Not a great TV-fan, generally. I watch a couple of series here and there, mostly while eating (my husband is kinda *always* away / abroad for work, so, some company while dining it's ok). I'm more a movie person (not light-hearted movies, though, Bergman, Wong Kar-Wai, Visconti and so on).

The last VG I played was Cthulhu saves the world, and it was two years ago (and I played it mostly for the humour). Still, glad to hear GTA is good ;)

And... as Harvey, ehm, Jake said, I'd rather prefer hanging out with some friends, or playing Arkham or Chess alone rather than VGing. Not my cup of tea, I'm afraid.

• jackman51 likes this
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#8 jackman51

jackman51

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:26 AM

1 billion USD in three days of release so yeah I definitely want to try it. I've played all the others and loved them all. Beyond the obvious violence inherent in the titles they do immerse me in a dramatic human story of personal success and sometimes a crushing fall.

I too like the social aspect of multi-player board gaming but not all of us have a wide circle of friends so sometimes it's a bit easier to find them online where it's perhaps easier to hide your own vices. And sometimes playing AH with some people annoys me and my win rate drops because not everyone is altruistic enough to surrender their items to another player who would be designated as a gate jumper or even monster slayer. Frankly I don't mind and might even prefer solo play just to avoid the aggravation of arguing with them. 

Guess maybe that's also the reason video gaming also appeals to me.

• Julia likes this

#9 Schwaig

Schwaig

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:36 AM

I find that as I grow older video games have lesser fascination to me than they did before. These days I would always try to get some friends together for a nice round of boardgames than playing VGs. Also I find most of todays games kind of uncreative or boring. I would always be in for a nice round of Tetris or Empire Earth (1) or good old Natural Selection. But GTA V does not interest me at all. Dont know why, maybe its because of me getting older or maybe because of the games or maybe both. I can recommend Papers, please! though, thats a nice new vg with fresh ideas.

• jackman51 likes this

#10 jackman51

jackman51

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:48 AM

Interesting you mention the age thing. I'm 51 but have been VGing since before their Golden Age in the arcades. Age has weakened my interest in most VG's as well but there still remain some franchises that are well done such as GTA or Bioware's Dragon Age. Not generally a shooter fan either--I don't for example play Call of Duty--but for some reason Halo did pull me in for quite  a while. So I hope no one is gathering that I like shooting people or something like that. I even used to like playing text-only games in the past like Zork.

I'll check out Papers on your recommendation.

• Julia and Schwaig like this

#11 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:03 AM

jackman ~ thanks for spelling out the acronym...I almost guessed that, but thought, "Nah!"

I switch-up games, but remain in the same genre...or close cousins.  It's either 'all-expansion' AH or "The War" - the finest WW II strategic war games I've seen (and soooo well-written) in a looong time.

Cheers,

Joe

The Professor

#12 Schwaig

Schwaig

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:15 AM

Does anyone of you play Diplomacy by the way? I am always searching for people who would like to play that online with me because I somehow never am able to bring together 6 other players on a table...

And Joe, this game "The War" sounds very interesting to me. Would you recommend it to me even if I am totally experienced with this kind of games?

• The Professor and jackman51 like this

#13 jackman51

jackman51

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:25 AM

I also used to war game in the 70's and early 80's--Avalon Hill and SPI cardboard counter types that I no longer have the patience for. Most I have sold off at Conventions but I have kept some of the Columbia Games titles such as East Front or Rommel in the Desert. Guess I like the wooden block nature of the components.

I also play fantasy board games such as the Merchant of Venus and recently have purchased Railways of the World. I even occasionally play some Merchants and Marauders or even Fortress America. I even used to play by mail an Avalon Hill title called Diplomacy before the age of the Internet. I had a postal win once even.

I'm highly streaky in my interests-- today it's AH tomorrow it may be Railways of the World or some video game IDK.  Maybe it's ADD or something funky like that. There's even a chance I'll get back into Lord of the Rings Online but even there my interest only held for maybe 6 months at a time.

Maybe I should just do what Sheldon did and roll a die and consult a chart for my next action. :P  :blink:

Edited by jackman51, 26 September 2013 - 11:27 AM.

• The Professor likes this

#14 Schwaig

Schwaig

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:28 AM

Yeah, Diplomacy from Avalon Hill, thats the one Im talking about. Can be played by mail or email or also on various web based platforms. And of course as a boardgame :D

• jackman51 likes this

#15 jackman51

jackman51

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:32 AM

I'll add you as a friend Shwaig in case my "Sheldon Randomizer" die roll ever comes up Diplomacy again. Right now I don't have the interest.

Edited by jackman51, 26 September 2013 - 02:11 PM.

#16 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,260 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:33 AM

I used to play Diplomacy a lot of time ago... good time, a glass of wine in one hand, a sharp razor in the other... :nostalgic:

• The Professor and jackman51 like this

#17 jackman51

jackman51

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:36 AM

I knew there was another reason I liked you Julia--I'll add you as well. Not too many women played war games back when I was playing a lot. I'll add you as a friend also if it's okay.

Edited by jackman51, 26 September 2013 - 11:36 AM.

#18 Schwaig

Schwaig

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:53 AM

Thanks jackman!

Really looking forward to that Diplomacy game with all the Arkhamites around here :)

#19 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,260 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:58 PM

I knew there was another reason I liked you Julia--I'll add you as well. Not too many women played war games back when I was playing a lot. I'll add you as a friend also if it's okay.

Sure that it is ok! I was considering asking for the same just yesterday :)

Anyway, not so sure we played war games in the same "era" (I'm 27 now), but I totally appreciate a good wargame in the long, rainy winter weekends :) Block games being my fave :) And Hannibal: Rome vs Chartage. Man, I do love seeing Numidia revolting :devil:

#20 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:14 PM

Schwaig: I think you would appreciate the game ~ by the way, did you mean "inexperienced" in your comment?  It has everything at the strategic level.  I wrote a fairly comprehensive review over on the bgg and consimworld fora.

Julia:  Wine and Razors...nice!

jackman51:  I should mention that I play a Dwarven Cleric in a D&D 3.5 Campaign (coordinated using ooVoo with a friend in the panhandle of Florida and a buddy in my home city of Philadelphia) and run a Serenity Adventure.

• Schwaig likes this

The Professor

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS