Stormtroopers are people too

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#1 R00kie

R00kie

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:31 AM

I'd like to reinforce that imperial Stormtroopers, Tie pilots and minor functionaries serving the empire are people too. The emperor is evil, the empires objectives and aims are wrong, the way its treats people (and particularly aliens) is horrible, and evil people tend to end up in positions of power, but the common trooper is often just doing a job. 

In my first session some of my players showed a desire to kill rather indiscriminately, often using it as a first resort. One of them is then happily looting bodies. In fact on one occasion they chose to shoot someone in the head, rather than talking to them and asking a favour. If that's what they really want to do I'm not going to stop them - although the repercussions will be worse. The Imperials are more likely to come down rather heavy handedly when units are killed or small outposts get wiped out, than if the same objectives were achieved by deceit, stealth, subterfuge or charm (without the body count).

I do however want to introduce the idea that many of the imperials are just people doing a job though. I want to humanise them. I had a couple of thoughts:

1) I can introduce a location where off duty Stormtroopers spend their time. Perhaps a pub or cantina? Surprisingly they'll talk about the same things as everyone else - Life back home, their hopes and aspirations, their family, their women (or men), their fears, their lost comrades.

2) Looting is going to find the sort of stuff real people might carry with them. Photos, keys, mementos, library and membership cards and small change.

3) Finally in the near future (whenever a certain characters family obligation triggers), I'm introducing a sub-plot where a characters sister calls on them to help. Her son (the characters nephew) dreams of getting off planet away from mundane life, and sees joining the Imperial Academy and becoming a pilot as their way out. She wants them to talk the kid out of it. This allows me to introduce some of the reasons people join the imperials through the mouth of a friendly character. It also highlights that but for a chance encounter with 2 droids Luke would have joined the Imperial navy.

But if mayhem and slaughter, and looting bodies is what they want I'm not doing anything beyond these steps to stop them. Its their game as much as mine. I'd just like to remind them that Stormtroopers are people too. It might be a much shorter game though. Mad violent mayhem isn't the sort of game I generally enjoy and I'm much more likely to find ways to wrap the game up quickly, with a reasonable conclusion, if I'm not enjoying it.

(I'm also going to talk to the players out of game and make my preference for game style known.)

• torquemadaza and Ionman like this

#2 Jon D

Jon D

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:46 AM

*grabs popcorn*
  • Doc, the Weasel and Cilionelle like this

#3 HorusZA

HorusZA

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:51 AM

Could it be that, perhaps, your players actually want to play something other than Star Wars?

I absolutely agree that it is their game... and by the sounds of it they might be happier playing Battlelords of the 23rd Century or Rifts or something else that more military sci-fi and less space opera. Nothing wrong with that... play the games you enjoy but it sounds to me like you're trying to fight the symptoms and not the cause...

• R00kie likes this

#4 Slaunyeh

Slaunyeh

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:52 AM

The emperor is evil

Hey! Emperors are people too, you know. :(

#5 Maelora

Maelora

• Members
  • 896 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:04 AM

(in before ErikB derails topic!)

I kinda agree with you, SW isn't about casual murder and looting.  Han Solo and Boba Fett could be ruthless but they weren't psychopaths.

On the other hand, I don't remember Han or Luke caring much about shooting stormtroopers either. 

Weren't stormtroopers retconned as being clones anyway? By Order 66, they're just biological droids, really, so yeah, shoot as many as you like.  

But... don't even droids have feelings too?

I'm outta here.  This is going no place good...

• R00kie and FangGrip like this

#6 Morridini

Morridini

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:29 AM

Weren't stormtroopers retconned as being clones anyway? By Order 66, they're just biological droids, really, so yeah, shoot as many as you like.

Not anymore they are. The production of clones has stopped, and normal recruitment has started.

Anyone who want to take a closer look at the Empire from the PoV of the normal people serving it (mostly Stormtroopers) then I can highly recommend the novel Allegiance by Timoyhy Zahn and the comic series Star Wars: Empire

• R00kie likes this

#7 Shakespearian_Soldier

Shakespearian_Soldier

• Members
  • 907 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:49 AM

The clones from the Wars had an accelerated aging process; they started recruiting humans into the service when the cloning stopped.

"Beg for your life. No, doing so won't save you - but it will make your death more amusing to watch."
- Vago the Hutt; Star Wars: Edge of the Empire

#8 R00kie

R00kie

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:02 AM

Could it be that, perhaps, your players actually want to play something other than Star Wars?I absolutely agree that it is their game... and by the sounds of it they might be happier playing Battlelords of the 23rd Century or Rifts or something else that more military sci-fi and less space opera. Nothing wrong with that... play the games you enjoy but it sounds to me like you're trying to fight the symptoms and not the cause...

I entirely agree - which is why I'm taking a two pronged approach to this.

The other step is a frank and open discussion about what we want from the game. There is absolutely no point in a GM trying to run a game his players don't want: it will just lead to disaster. Either we find common ground or we part. I'm hoping we'll find common ground and I am willing to move. Having said that I know that I'm not the only one who doesn't want a blodd bath - I think we've got a whole range of expectations in the group.

#9 R00kie

R00kie

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:09 AM

(in before ErikB derails topic!) I kinda agree with you, SW isn't about casual murder and looting.  Han Solo and Boba Fett could be ruthless but they weren't psychopaths. On the other hand, I don't remember Han or Luke caring much about shooting stormtroopers either.  Weren't stormtroopers retconned as being clones anyway? By Order 66, they're just biological droids, really, so yeah, shoot as many as you like.   But... don't even droids have feelings too? I'm outta here.  This is going no place good...

I've not got a problem with fighting and killing storm troopers. It's the merciless unprovoked killing of anyone associated with the empire that worries me.

Han shot when he was threatened, or his life depended on it, or he was involved in military action. I can't think of a single time he shot a minor functionary for just being there.

I think my issue is that some of the players at the moment aren't coming across as anti-heroes. They are quite clearly the villains if the piece. They've sunk lower than the Empire and I can tell you if I was a citizen if that Galaxy Far Far away I'd be supporting the Empire in Police action against them.

#10 R00kie

R00kie

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:10 AM

Not anymore they are. The production of clones has stopped, and normal recruitment has started. Anyone who want to take a closer look at the Empire from the PoV of the normal people serving it (mostly Stormtroopers) then I can highly recommend the novel Allegiance by Timoyhy Zahn and the comic series Star Wars: Empire
Thanks for the recommendation.

If it's available for kindle I'll pick it up tonight.

#11 whafrog

whafrog

• Members
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:36 AM

They've sunk lower than the Empire and I can tell you if I was a citizen if that Galaxy Far Far away I'd be supporting the Empire in Police action against them.

Sounds like that's exactly what needs to be made clear. Put them at odds with the Rebel Alliance and local authorities for wanton murder...
  • Maelora likes this

#12 ErikB

ErikB

• Members
  • 930 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:09 AM

(in before ErikB derails topic!)

Hi!

They've sunk lower than the Empire

That implies you haven't been having your villains kick enough dogs.

http://tvtropes.org/...Main/KickTheDog

(In Star Wars, Vader comes on and instantly snaps a prisoners neck. Then the Empire kill Lukes aunt and Uncle (and a bunch of Jawas). Then vader force strangles a subordinate and tortures Leia. Then the Death Star blows up a defenceless planet. All classic dog kicking.

In Empire Vader keeps on strangling subordinates, tortures Han and Chewie, and doesn't play straight with Lando.

And Jabba drops a slave girl who objected to him molesting her in to a rancor pit to be eaten, and his droid master is just sitting around torturing droids.

Are you putting in as much effort as the Star Wars movies do to establish how loathsome the bad guys are?)

Edited by ErikB, 25 September 2013 - 06:35 AM.

If you want a picture of the Empire, imagine a jackboot stamping on a beings face - forever.

#13 Maelora

Maelora

• Members
  • 896 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:54 AM

Are you putting in as much effort as the Star Wars movies do to establish how loathsome the bad guys are?)

Yes, but it sounds like the GM is having issues with his players being sadistic psychopaths, as bad as the worst the Empire has to offer.

It sounds like they are just shooting non-stormtrooper Empire staff just for kicks - minor functionaries who are just punching a clock or cashing a paycheck. 

I mean, Boba Fett is broadly one of the bad guys, and even he never killed anyone just for laughs.

We know Vader and Jabba and Palpatine and Tarkin are evil to the core. That doesn't mean every single Empire official is a sadistic monster. 

Just because Hitler is evil, it doesn't mean you're justified in shooting his typing pool.

But we've had this conversation before and look where it went... <sigh>

Edited by Maelora, 25 September 2013 - 06:56 AM.

#14 ErikB

ErikB

• Members
  • 930 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:57 AM

minor functionaries who are just punching a clock or cashing a paycheck.

The guys who are just following orders?

Edited by ErikB, 25 September 2013 - 06:58 AM.

If you want a picture of the Empire, imagine a jackboot stamping on a beings face - forever.

#15 Slaunyeh

Slaunyeh

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:59 AM

That implies you haven't been having your villains kick enough dogs.

It sounds more like a classic case of "just because someone else kicked your dog, doesn't make it all right for you to kick their dog." A dog-kicking jerk is a dog-kicking jerk.

• Maelora likes this

#16 Maelora

Maelora

• Members
  • 896 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:02 AM

Sounds like that's exactly what needs to be made clear. Put them at odds with the Rebel Alliance and local authorities for wanton murder...

I think you're doing the right thing by talking to them.

Actions should have consequences - murdering non-combatants would have Obligation consequences like Criminal, or Bounty Hunters on their trail.  Any of them Force-sensitives? Casual murder will push you into the Dark Side quicker than you can say 'Anakin'.  

But unfortunately, playing hardball with the players seldom works if you're not on the same page. You need to tell them what you expect of them - that EoE characters are scoundrels and fringers, not psychopaths - and if they simply can't see that, and you're not prepared to indulge their nasty murder fantasies, you'll have to find another group, as sad as that seems.

#17 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

Not the member you are looking for!

• Members
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:05 AM

Players are sociopathic murderers with no regard for anyone but themselves. People have noted, but overlooked this fact for years.

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

#18 Maelora

Maelora

• Members
  • 896 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:05 AM

The guys who are just following orders?

I don't feel that shooting Hitler's gardener, or hairdresser, or typist, would be justified.

Do you?

There's an argument to be made that someone who worked in a concentration camp, witnessed daily atrocities, and didn't do anything about it, might be culpable even if he didn't personally kill or torture anyone.

But that doesn't mean it's okay to blame Hitler's dentist, or the guy who cleaned his toilet, for his crimes.

(Why am I even responding? This thread is *toast* the moment the mods see it!)

#19 Maelora

Maelora

• Members
  • 896 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:07 AM

Players are sociopathic murderers with no regard for anyone but themselves. People have noted, but overlooked this fact for years.

Yours might be.

Mine are not. 

I make it very clear what will and what will not be tolerated at my table.

Maybe I've just been lucky, but pretty much everyone I've played with in the 35 years I've been role-playing wanted to be the heroes, or at least an anti-hero.  Nobody wanted to be the villains.

• PrettyHaley likes this

#20 kaosoe

kaosoe

Not the GM my players need, but the one they deserve.

• Members
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:17 AM

3) Finally in the near future (whenever a certain characters family obligation triggers), I'm introducing a sub-plot where a characters sister calls on them to help. Her son (the characters nephew) dreams of getting off planet away from mundane life, and sees joining the Imperial Academy and becoming a pilot as their way out. She wants them to talk the kid out of it. This allows me to introduce some of the reasons people join the imperials through the mouth of a friendly character. It also highlights that but for a chance encounter with 2 droids Luke would have joined the Imperial navy.

What if this "son" figure had a brother who was a stormtrooper. The son is very proud of his big bro. And describes he was station at location 'X' (Oh no... the PCs were just there a month ago), but big bro was killed by some rebels. They shot him in the head, mom couldn't even give him a proper funeral. (Hmm... that story sounds familiar). Big bro joined the corp to get credits to send back to his family, when he graduated from the academy, it was the proudest day of mom's life.

Scavenger - On the d20Radio forums.

Pronounced: Kay - Oh - So

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS