Improved look for Z-95s

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Balou1917

Balou1917

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:36 PM

Wasn't the first appearance of the Z-95 Headhunter from Han Solo at Star's End?  According to the book, the Z-95 is an atmospheric fighter and has swept wings.  So the above pics with the swing wings make more sense as what the Z-95 would actually look like.  What site were they found on?

#22 MILLANDSON

MILLANDSON

Playtester

• Members
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:34 AM

Those look cool, but they don't look like the Z-95 much. They also don't look like the predecessor of the X-wing much either. It made me think more of the Colonial Viper then the X-wing at first glance.

That's what I thought too, it looked just like a Viper from BSG.

~Yea, Tho I Walk Through The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil~

Posts/views/opinions are in no way representative of FFG, and are entirely my own.

#23 Ghostofman

Ghostofman

• Members
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:43 AM

Wasn't the first appearance of the Z-95 Headhunter from Han Solo at Star's End?  According to the book, the Z-95 is an atmospheric fighter and has swept wings.  So the above pics with the swing wings make more sense as what the Z-95 would actually look like.  What site were they found on?

Yep, Brian Daley originally imagined the Z-95 as something that looked like an F-14 Tomcat, hence the mention of the bubble canopy and  swing-wings. WEG, tryingot save money on original art regularly used old concept art in their roleplaying supplements, and opted to use a rejected X-wing concept as the Z-95. Model maker Alfred Wong, went back to the Daley original source info when designing his models though, which is what you're looking at in this thread.

At this point though Lucasfilm is pretty much locked in on WEGs call, so demanding a retcon to the design is kinda a waste of effort.

MAGIC HEADPHONES PROTECT ME FROM THE SPACE!

#24 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:49 PM

At this point though Lucasfilm is pretty much locked in on WEGs call, so demanding a retcon to the design is kinda a waste of effort.

Demanding changes that will never happen is pretty much ErikB's raison'd'etre.  You should have seen his posts back during the EotE Beta when he used the handle AluminumWolf about how FFG should have had full-blown Jedi Careers and Force Powers, handed out for free no less.

• EldritchFire likes this

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#25 Chortles

Chortles

• Members
  • 753 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:53 PM

I think it was because the only thing he wanted to roleplay (with claims that it was what others would want most) was Jedi, when as we've seen Edge of the Empire was designed SPECIFICALLY because of the backlash against Jedi in the d20 systems and catering to players who wanted a setting based around non-Force-sensitives... was he as AluminumWolf the same guy that "You are Not a Jedi, Not Yet" was talking about?

Here’s the really cool thing. You know all those players who want to play Jedi because it enables them to wreck face with lightsabers and force lightning? They can still do that, but they won’t have the right to call themselves Jedi. They’re just badass force users out for their own glory. Nothing wrong with that, but it means those who actually want to become Jedi will have a true sense of achievement when they do. They won’t have just paid 100XP to buy the Jedi specialization. They follow the Jedi code, choosing the harder path to become more than just a guy who waves his hands to get his own way.

Speaking of which:

I liked it when the Jedi were actual heroes and not male power fantasy... yes, I find these to be mutually exclusive.     ;) (Which I suppose is countercultural these days considering more mainstream "heroes" are basically defined as male power fantasy instead of actually being the good guys, but unless any of you want to actually ask me about that, that's neither here nor there.)

Man, you will probably find you have a lot more fun if you just relax and go with it instead of constantly trying to piss in to the wind.

This is hilarious for so, so many reasons... though I speak as someone who'd rather that there be no Jedi career or specializaions, just "Jedi = narrative, period":D

Edited by Chortles, 09 October 2013 - 04:58 PM.

Well, according to George Lucas, the Empire is intended to be bad guys and the Sith to be objectively evil.

Fans proceeded to immediately disregard his bull and have fun with the Empire and make believable characters left and right, and come up with sensible rationalizations east, west, north and south.

#26 ErikB

ErikB

• Members
  • 930 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:39 PM

If they are going to bulldoze the EU to make room for the new Disney stuff, now would seem to be the time to fix any of the cruft that has accumulated over the years.

(Although since the headhunter has a lego kit these days changing it officially may not be possible, so in this case I more just thought they looked really cool and more like the original conception of a Z-95 so people might find them interesting.)

As to Jedi, I STILL think it would be a good idea to throw some kind of bone to the Jedi fen, if only to cut down on the arguing. No Jedi in EotE - thats safe. The Jedi haters have their game. But something to show they cared. And also to make sure the system can actually do proper Jedi, because the last time they did this it didn't.

This is only seen as an unreasonable request because the Jedi haters want to to push Jedi as far down the road as possible and if when it arrives it is unplayably terrible so they never have to be overshadowed by a Jedi again that is a win for them.

And as to wind pissing - I have really enjoyed, I dunno, the Abrams Star Trek movies, The Avengers, Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto, The Force Unleashed and I am really looking forwards to Rebels. I think a lot of geeks have real problems enjoying this stuff because they have so internalised their self hate that they could not stand the thought of someone thinking they have enough self regard to want to pretend to be Conan. So often, the people who argue loudest against power fantasy are people who would really enjoy if if they could get over their own emotional scars, relax, and let themselves.

Relax. Pretend to be a hero for once. No one is going to judge you for it.

If you want a picture of the Empire, imagine a jackboot stamping on a beings face - forever.

#27 Emperor Norton

Emperor Norton

• Members
  • 335 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:41 PM

(Although since the headhunter has a lego kit these days changing it officially may not be possible, so in this case I more just thought they looked really cool and more like the original conception of a Z-95 so people might find them interesting.)

The lego kit is based on their appearance in the Clone Wars cartoon (the computer animated one, not the 2d one), which is the highest canon that exists outside of the 6 movies. So no, I doubt they are going to change it.

Also, you really should watch the cartoon. All this stuff that you say can't exist in Star Wars is absolutely there in the cartoon.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS