Improved look for Z-95s

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 ErikB

ErikB

• Members
  • 930 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:38 PM

I have always thought the Z-95 looks like ass. This is a problem, as no one wants to fly an unattractive starfighter.

This version, from here,

http://www.alfredsmi...samples119.html

is, however actually pretty cool. And it better fits the descriptions of the craft from its original appearance. Now there is some retcon at work that this is a Mk1 Headhunter, but really, sod that, this is just cooler all round.

z95mk1j.jpg

z95mk1i.jpg

z95mk1h.jpg

z95mk1g.jpg

z95mk1e.jpg

z95mk1f.jpg

z95mk1b.jpg

z95mk1c.jpg

• SynysterDreamer likes this
If you want a picture of the Empire, imagine a jackboot stamping on a beings face - forever.

#2 Jon D

Jon D

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:52 AM

It doesn't look like ass, but the Head Hunter should look like what it is, obsolete. It was impressive twenty years ago, but like the Cloakshape, is a poor choice kept around for underfunded governments and groups that can't afford the good stuff.
  • MILLANDSON and Rikoshi like this

#3 Sturn

Sturn

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:32 AM

Those look cool, but they don't look like the Z-95 much. They also don't look like the predecessor of the X-wing much either. It made me think more of the Colonial Viper then the X-wing at first glance.

• MILLANDSON and Rikoshi like this

#4 whafrog

whafrog

• Members
  • 2,032 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:10 AM

Headhunters look fine to me

#5 Daegren

Daegren

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:37 AM

It is your game. Not everyone can afford a X-wing. Call it a Z-95A1 up the stats and cost slightly.
Either wayit looks great.

#6 Farwanderer

Farwanderer

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:42 AM

If I remember right WEG had that the Z-95 Headhunter was one of the most altered starfighter staring out looking more like a F-16 then an X-Wing, so i can see these being part of the Z-95 lore. I like their looks.  :)

The Farwanderer

'Trandoshan arms make great clubs for Wookiees to use!'

The Star Wars RPG

#7 Sturn

Sturn

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:29 PM

The one in the middle below was from the same website. It makes more sense to me. Especially with the lasers on the wing tips, it seems more of a direct ancestor of the X-wing.

The others are cool also though. Perhaps they could be sold as a prototype Z-95 replacement that lost out to the X-wing. Only 5 were made and the players stumble upon 2 of them....

z95s.jpg

• MILLANDSON and Daegren like this

#8 Daegren

Daegren

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:36 PM

Sounds like a nice smash and grab.  Perhaps even a good find in a hidden Imp base.  I could go on.. 

Edited by Daegren, 25 September 2013 - 06:36 PM.

#9 LibrariaNPC

LibrariaNPC

• Members
  • 819 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:10 PM

Those look a bit like Vipers from Battlestar Galactica.

Cool, but still not a Headhunter, which is noted as a predecessor of the X-Wing.

Also note that the Z-95s were used during the Clone Wars, and there is a variant (we see it in the films) that has a gunner seat and S-Foils that are locked in attack position during combat.

• MILLANDSON likes this

"Smilies exist because no one's bothered to make a sarcasm font." Lost_Heretic

LibrariaNPC's Starship Yard (Fighters and Freighter chapters as PDFs!)

#10 Utsanomiko

Utsanomiko

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:16 AM

The business about Mk I vs Mk II Z95s stems from the difference between its original novel series description (particularly the movable swept wings) and later illustrations as a very direct T-65 design predecessor. The Z-95 has been a very long-running model series so the rationale has been there's a lot of variations.

I rather like the MkII look, it's a very straight-forward design, and the bubble canopy and large cowl adds a nice sleekness without being overly fancy. 

#11 Norsehound

Norsehound

• Members
  • 824 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:13 PM

I like the popular Z-95s, but I think these models are pretty cool A1s, and are a lot more attractive than some of the other suggested Z-95 progenitors.

#12 Lickintoad

Lickintoad

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:19 PM

Also note that the Z-95s were used during the Clone Wars, and there is a variant (we see it in the films) that has a gunner seat and S-Foils that are locked in attack position during combat.

Are you talking about the ARC-170?  The Z-95 doesn't have S-Foils.

Well, okay, there's one example of one that does.  But, Booster Terrik heavily modified that one.

Edited by Lickintoad, 28 September 2013 - 03:29 PM.

#13 LibrariaNPC

LibrariaNPC

• Members
  • 819 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:24 AM

Well, okay, there's one example of one that does.  But, Booster Terrik heavily modified that one.

Sorry, mixed up the ARC-170 with a Z-95. Something in my brain said that the ARC was based off of/around the Z-95. I guess it's the Clone Wars references that often come up.

And yeah, Booster Terrik had one with S-Foils, but it's also Booster Terrik. I think he's exempt from most rules like that. . .

"Smilies exist because no one's bothered to make a sarcasm font." Lost_Heretic

LibrariaNPC's Starship Yard (Fighters and Freighter chapters as PDFs!)

#14 Talley Darkstar

Talley Darkstar

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:50 AM

I have to say, I love the ARC-170.

We walk the line between life and death.  Endure the pain of choices we have to make and survive the battle to take back our lives.  We are soldiers and we will fight.

http://steamcommunit...talley_darkstar

#15 Cilionelle

Cilionelle

• Members
  • 293 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:54 PM

That was the one Wedge flew when he was a kid, right?

"There is no point to owning a copy of the rules if you aren't committed to actually reading them."

#16 Kallabecca

Kallabecca

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:43 PM

The Z-95s were based off of concept art from LucasArts before they settled on the final X-wing design. That is why the drawings in the old WEG books didn't look that great. WEG was using what little they had to expand on what was released in just a few movies to flesh out the SW universe.

There are so many other possibilities, so why not just give the ship its own name/designation. That works better than forcing a reimaging onto something already familiar.

#17 kinnison

kinnison

• Members
  • 605 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:42 AM

That was the one Wedge flew when he was a kid, right?

Yes, It was a comic.  I took the "S-foil" version of the Z-95 to be a lazy artist.  The artwork for the whole comic was rather subpar.  I couldn't look past the artist's "interdictor" ship as an ISD with big boobs

A lot of the WEG ships created for star wars came out from concept art of known ships.  Z-95 was the X-wing, Victory-Class destroyers were the ISD.  Torpedo spheres the Death star.

it is suppose to look like crap.  The OP probly thinks the Mellenium Falcon should look all slick and streamlined like some Nabooian ship

Check out my current Campaign:

The Minos Cluster

Last session 9/6/14 'Beyond the Rim: Episode I'

Last Update 9/20/14

#18 angelicdoctor

angelicdoctor

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:51 AM

I love those 'new' headhunters.  They are very reminiscent of an old Navy jet fighter, the Grumman F-14 Tomcat.

F-14A_Tomcat_over_Iraq_during_Southern_W

“Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions.” - G.K. Chesterton

"Modesty and unselfishness - these are the virtues which men praise - and pass by."  - Andre Maurois

"We are not able to make cosmological models without some admixture of ideology." - Stephen Hawking, PhD

Enter the Cave of the Cybersteed! An original Mutant Future adventure module.

What is the OSR?

#19 That Blasted Samophlange

That Blasted Samophlange

• Members
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:37 PM

I see these headhunters and all I picture are the arwing from star fox. "Do a barrel roll!"
  • MILLANDSON likes this
You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of EU.

#20 ErikB

ErikB

• Members
  • 930 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:30 PM

I see these headhunters and all I picture are the arwing from star fox.

I don't see that as a problem.

393185-sw_arwing_blaupause2.jpg

Arwing.jpg

• LibrariaNPC likes this
If you want a picture of the Empire, imagine a jackboot stamping on a beings face - forever.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS