• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:39 PM

By my count these are the amounts of turns each of us have taken:

Jan-Eric - 3

Eldred - 2

Klaus - 1

Monsters - 3

Since this is now the forth turn, I'll make use of two turns to catch up.

After spearing nothing but air, Eldred furiously swings the halberd to keep the snotlings at bay. When he sees an opportunity to strike, he brings the axe of the halberd down...  

Stance: +3 Conservative

Action: Melee Strike

Fortune points: 1

Rolled: 3 Conservative, 1 Fortune, 1 Challenge, 2 Misfortune

Result: 1 Challenge, 1 Boon

...and the snotling jumps out of the way. Eldred is getting frustrated that he keeps on missing, and screams in fury as swings the halberd around for another attempt.

Fortune points: 1

Result: 1 Boon

The snottling rolls out of the way and Eldred's attack misses again. Eldred is beginning to doubt his ability to hit anything in this dark. Terror begins to seize him as he sees Klaus and Jan-Eric bleeding from wounds they have suffered and he realizes this might be their final moments before they meet their end. Running away may be his only chance at surviving to live another day...

Edited by Desalus, 27 September 2013 - 09:42 PM.

#42 Greenspectre

Greenspectre

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 10:30 PM

For brevity's sake as I must leave here is what I do:

If I read correctly I took 6 wounds - 5 for my soak- leaving me with 1 wound suffered out of threshold of 15.
Keeping longbow in left hand (don't know if I can do this without penalty, so will add 1 challenge just in case it's not doable without penalty and if not don't know if this is the correct "penalty" dice to use), I take out longsword and " cut and run" at the snotling(s) and try to get some distance 

Stance 2 reckless

Talent used : flanking manoever

Action used: cut and run (adds 1 misfortune)

dice pool:  1 characteristic, 2 reckless, 1 fortune, 2 challenge, 1 misfortune

Rolled: 1 Characteristic, 2 Reckless, 1 Fortune, 2 Challenge, 1 Misfortune
Result: 3 Successes, 2 Banes, 1 Exertion
Damage: 3 stregth, + 5 sword, +1 for "Cut and run" = 9 wounds
You will have to adjudicate the results 
------------
Next "make up" turn :
Depending on results my plan is to move back away from the snotlings, hopefully enough distance to use longbow again  using same stance and using "rapid fire" action against same target if still alive, or next target if dead.  Since I won't be back tonight and if you need to go ahead an make my rolls for me.

#43 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,094 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 10:51 PM

Klaus:  You hack and slay 3 of the 4 Snotlings and step back (disengaged, back to close range).  The final one is severely injured as well (and scurries away).  Nice work!   

You do suffer 1 more fatigue from your exertion to get out of their grasp.

Your 2 banes add 1 to recharge "cut and run"

Henchmen rules:  Tome of Adventure p.42. Henchmen are weak. 

Klaus, you use your make up turn to swap to longbow, turn to the snotlings on Eldred and fire:

Maneuver: switch to longbow (dropped sword into the dirt)

Action:  Ranged Shot against snotling group #1

Rolled: 1 Characteristic, 2 Reckless, 1 Expertise, 1 Fortune, 1 Challenge, 2 Misfortune
Result: 4 Successes, 1 Bane, 1 Chaos Star

Effect:  +2 damage (total 12 points), but BOW STRING BREAKS

The snotlings scrambling onto Eldred suddenly get pierced by a single arrow, spraying green blood out the other side.   

Eldred:  Just not having any luck hitting yet, but you are safe for the moment.

Now, there is one group of snotlings left on Jan-Eric..and a Squig to deal with...

Edited by Emirikol, 27 September 2013 - 11:04 PM.

#44 brrak

brrak

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:43 AM

Jan-Eric stares in horror as the squig sink its bloody maw into his leg. He tries in vain to kick of the beast only to hear a sickening whine from the creature as it tries desperately to consume his appendage in one grotesque gulp. Shaken, he stares at the scene and realizes the battle is not going as well as he'd hope -- but it looks like help is on the way. Praying for good fortune he swings his sword at the beast.

I think it's time to use another fortune die -- this beastie isn't hurt yet. Jan-Eric has 3 fatigue and 6 wounds (including one critical).

Stance: backing down to only one reckless

Maneuver: none

Action: Basic melee vs squig

Rolled: 2 Characteristic, 1 Reckless, 1 Fortune, 1 Challenge, 3 Misfortune

Result: 1 Success, 1 Chaos Star

Whew! The extra fortune die pays off. Damage: 8 wounds

#45 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,094 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:27 AM

Jan-Eric manages to stab the squig in the head (where else).  It shakes it off like a wet dog and in the process, your sword is wrenched from your hand and flung to just out of reach.  The snotlings jump with glee at your ill-luck and resume their attack.

Jan-Eric's Chaos Star Effect: Squig has a total soak of 4.  You did 4 points to the squig, but you are now disarmed of your sword.  If you don't have a dagger, you'll be using your hands and hoping the bravery of your fellows holds. You can also strike with an improvised weapon.  

The Squig comes at you again:  (Squig has 8 WT remaining)

Maneuver: Bouncing and ripping at your leg's flesh

Action: Bounce 'n Chomp (Difficulty P, Y, Bk)

Rolled: 2 Characteristic, 2 Reckless, 1 Expertise, 1 Fortune, 2 Challenge, 4 Misfortune
Result: 4 Successes, 1 Bane, 1 Comet, 1 Exertion

Effect: Squig bounces on top of target and bites down hard, hitting for +1 damage, +1 critical, target falls Prone. Comet effect:  +3 damage, +1 critical.   ...this is going to hurt...

Total wounds inflicted: 13

Critical #1: Gruesome Bruise (Severity 3): When you acquire this critical wound, suffer 1 stress.  Add 1 black to Fellowship checks.  

Critical #2: Exhausting Blow (severity 2): Whenever you suffer fatigue, suffer 1 additional fatigue.

The 3 remaining snotlings close in to finish you off:

Action:  Drag Down

Rolled: 1 Characteristic, 1 Conservative, 2 Fortune, 1 Challenge, 3 Misfortune
Result: 1 Success, 2 Boons

Effect Success: Target knocked prone, requiring a maneuver to stand back up and hit for -2 damage. 2 Boon: +1 damage. Jan-Eric is hit for 4 wounds (you always take 1 even if you soak all the damage)

Effects of being Prone in this circumstance:  You require a maneuver to stand up or monsters get a free attack on you.  Suffer a black die to all physical actions. Cannot dodge.  You cannot currently parry as you have no weapon in hand.  Did you have a shield? That will be your only savior now (unless the squig eats it).

You guys are up!

watchman%20is%20getting%20mauled.jpg

Edited by Emirikol, 28 September 2013 - 08:29 AM.

• brrak likes this

#46 Greenspectre

Greenspectre

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:03 AM

Klaus curses under his breath as the bowstring breaks,  praying his arrow flys true.  He grunts in satisfaction as his arrow pierces the snotling.  With his bow useless for now, he drops it and reaches down for his longsword.  Picking it up he then charges at the squig, roaring as he swings in hopes of getting its attention off Jan-Eric who is obviously in dire straits!

Stance: 2 reckless

Still using trait- flanking manoever

Action: melee strike

Rolled: 1 Characteristic, 2 Reckless, 1 Challenge, 2 Misfortune --1 for squig, 1 for still a little dark as dawn approaches. 

Rolled: 1 Characteristic, 2 Reckless, 1 Challenge, 2 Misfortune  

Result: 2 Successes, 2 Boons, 1 Exertion

(forgot to add my last fortune point, but oh well... next turn)

Damage: 5 sword, 3 strength, so at least damage  don’t know what else…and the other effects from the roll…

Edited by Greenspectre, 28 September 2013 - 10:14 AM.

• brrak likes this

#47 Desalus

Desalus

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:08 AM

Eldred rushes to help Jan-Eric who is in dire need of help. He swings his halberd straight across the line of snotlings, trying to hit as many as possible.

Fortune points: 1 (0 remaining now)

Result: 1 Success, 1 Bane

Finally Eldred connects his swing with the greenskins and deals 9 damage (6 halberd + 3 strength). I'm not sure what the 1 bane does...

Edited by Desalus, 28 September 2013 - 10:11 AM.

#48 brrak

brrak

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:00 AM

Gahh! As his sword flies from his grip, Jan-Eric screams in pain and falls to the ground under the gnawing teeth and fell blows of the disgusting little creatures. He looks badly injured.

Trouble. So the squig hit Jan-Eric for another 7 wounds (13-6) which bring his total to 13, which is his Wound Threshold. Jan-Eric already has a critical and now adds two additional one. Jan-Eric does have a shield , however .... Next, the snotlings tear into him and bring him to the ground. He takes 1 additional wound. That exceeds his threshold and he falls unconscious. I believe I may need to convert one of the wounds to yet another critical?

Status: Unconscious. 4 stress 14 wounds (3 critical, maybe 4). Yikes, Jan-Eric' toughness is 4. I believe one more critical and poor Jan-Eric is worm-food!

#49 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,094 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:25 PM

Jan-Eric - You fall to the ground and just prior to unconsciousness, the last thing you see is two snotlings coming up to your face..to inspect what is inside your nose...

Elred - Just as one of the snotlings gets his full hand up Jan-Eric's nose, looking for green, boogary gold, you manage to chop the two snotlings in half..leaving only the arm and fist stuck in the nose.  

Klaus - You hit the Squig for 8 points, soaking 4.  The squig gets a big cut above one of his numerous eyes as he feasts on the femoral artery of poor Jan-Eric, and turns angrily towards you!  

GRRRRRR!  The squig strikes back at KLAUS!

Action:  Chompity chomp chomp! (reckless)

Rolled: 2 Characteristic, 2 Reckless, 2 Expertise, 1 Fortune, 2 Challenge, 4 Misfortune
Result: 2 Successes, 2 Banes

Effect:  Klaus, the squig puts his toothy maw to good use and chomps you good!  +1 damage, +1 critical.  (10 TOTAL DAMAGE)

Bane effect: He get's poked in they eye and suffers a wound.

Critical drawn:  Severed Finger (severe injury; severity 2); The squig gets a hold of the finger on your sword hand!  You suffer 1 black to actions where the use of that finger is important.   (Permanent if your total criticals, including this one reach 9, in which case you lose the finger).

SQUIG:  3 WT remaining; soak 4  Defense 1

Anybody want to finish off the squig?  I dare you to try to pet him!

You guys are up!

1344735309561.jpg

Edited by Emirikol, 28 September 2013 - 02:30 PM.

#50 Greenspectre

Greenspectre

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:19 PM

Klaus has 6 wounds (15 threshold), 1 critical, 2 fatigue

Letting out a yell in pain as the squig firmly grasps his swordhand clamps down hard and ravenously shakes its head from side to side.  It finally lets go, but almost taking off little finger.   Grimacing in pain, Klaus swipes again at the squig desperate not to lose his grasp on his sword as his wound bleeds profusely.  

Shift one stance to reckless: 3 reckless
Still using trait- flanking manoever
Action: Melee attack 
Use last point of fortune
Rolled: 3 Reckless, 1 Fortune, 1 Challenge, 2 Misfortune
Result: 1 Success, 1 Chaos Star, 1 Exertion
Damage: 5 sword, 3 strength = 8 damage 

#51 Desalus

Desalus

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:32 PM

"YRAAAAAAAHHH!"

Rolled: 3 Conservative, 1 Challenge, 3 Misfortune

Result: 2 Successes, 1 Bane

Damage: 9 (6 halberd + 3 strength)

Eldred plants the halberd's axe right in the middle of the squig's head, making a satisfying squelching sound. 

#52 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,094 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:50 PM

You slash and slash at the beast while it chops and chomps back at you.  Finally the monster is dead..but where's Klaus' finger?  With a sigh you reach into the slimy, bloody mouth of the creature and pull it out with a fair bit of mucous..a little needle and thread will be in order..but a successful immediate First Aid should be enough (consider it a success..but your finger is barely hanging on).

Jan-Eric's life also hangs on by a thread.  He lays face up in the bloody mud, snotling fist securely lodged in his left nostril, barely breathing in the cold morning fog.  He's going to need some care..but if you fail your check, you'll kill him off.  He's barely breathing as it is and his leg arteries are torn to shreds.

You retrieve your weapons and finish off one or two wiggling snotling corpses while you figure out what to do.  Are there more coming?  Is the road safe?

Only moments after your encounter, you hear a carriage making its way up the road.  There is a driver with a blunderbuss, a roadwarden, and a noble who looks suspiciously out from the inside of the coach.  By sheer charity of the driver, they slow and put the blunderbuss on your group.  The noble inside grumbles loudly, "Roadwarden Rutger.  They are obviously bandits, beggars or thieves.  Can we please get a move on.  I need to get to Marienburg with the package."

"Yes Master Rothstein," replies the roadwarden and coachman with blunderbusses still trained on you.

They are about to begin to head out Northwards towards Talabheim.  Perhaps you can appeal to them for aid or advise them...

What would you like to do?

First aid check on Jan-Eric?  He is critically wounded so it is a 2d First Aid check.  p.64

First aid checks on yourself?

You all regain 1 fortune point.

If you want to try to influence the noble, the roadwarden and/or the coachmen, the difficulty is 2d social action or Perform Stunt-Charm check.  You each may try one time (if you are conscious...).  If you are unable to get at least 1 success, they leave without you.  If you succeed, they will allow you a ride at least to Talabheim (as long as you exchange valuable information with them).

..or try something else?

Edited by Emirikol, 28 September 2013 - 04:15 PM.

#53 brrak

brrak

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:31 PM

Finally, a situation where I could use my Fellowship if I weren't out cold. I'd try to assist but I believe consciousness is a requirement.

In retrospect, perhaps we should have had two in the melee and one back with a ranged weapon. Then we could have used our maneuvers to assist.

A faint groan emanates from Jan-Eric. He looks pallid and close to death.

#54 Desalus

Desalus

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:07 PM

Do first aid and social interactions have action cards?

Does it appear that Jan-Eric is going to die if we do not immediately perform first aid, or do we have enough time to try to convince these travelers to help us? The reason I ask is that maybe one of them would be better at first aid than Klaus or Eldred.

#55 Greenspectre

Greenspectre

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:54 PM

Perhaps if we warn them of the presence of a goblin war party, of which only a small portion we managed to stave off.  Try to convince them that perhaps they need to beef up their party in case the others attack on their way to Talabheim?  We will gladly provide them additional protection only in exchange of a ride to their next destination and aid to our wounded, almost dead companion?

I will try first aid, if you all wish me to as I have int of 4 (but not trained in first aid).  I will use a fortune point.  I only have 2 fellowship so if Eldred has better numbers in this maybe he should try to deal with the people in the coach with the reasons stated above.  

Edited by Greenspectre, 28 September 2013 - 08:54 PM.

#56 Desalus

Desalus

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:42 PM

Yes, that sounds like a good proposition to make. Eldred has 3 fellowship, so not that great, but better than Klaus' 2.

If Jan-Eric isn't going to perish in the time it takes to have a conversation, I would like to speak to these travelers first to see if any of them is trained in first aid, or if they have supplies that may aid in Klaus' attempt to perform first aid. Eldred has intelligence of 3 so it would best if Klaus perform first aid if none of them can.

#57 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,094 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:11 PM

Do first aid and social interactions have action cards?

Does it appear that Jan-Eric is going to die if we do not immediately perform first aid, or do we have enough time to try to convince these travelers to help us? The reason I ask is that maybe one of them would be better at first aid than Klaus or Eldred.

First aid doesn't (except for the special Action "Splings & Bandages).  Essentially First Aid is a "basic skill" that has it's own rules (and probably should just have a basic action card associated with it considering how many times it gets used!   :)

Jan-Eric is likely to die of exposure as anything, but his life hangs in the balance either way.  By the rules, he's stable if you don't move him..but if anything else comes upon you guys, you're really screwed.

I have a complete list of all the social action cards in my house rulebook (see my sig download).  Typically though it's just as easy to use Perform Stunt and say which skill you're using:  for example:  Convince the angry mob you're not a witch (but really are) using Guile with the results from the Perform Stunt card.  Charm-Perform Stunt to seduce the daughter of your arch nemesis would be another example. 

If you would like to beg them for help in performing first aid, that would be a (2d) Charm (beg) skill check (use Perform Stunt effects).  The roadwarden probably knows a thing or two..maybe...

Edited by Emirikol, 28 September 2013 - 10:16 PM.

#58 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,094 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:14 PM

Perhaps if we warn them of the presence of a goblin war party, of which only a small portion we managed to stave off.  Try to convince them that perhaps they need to beef up their party in case the others attack on their way to Talabheim?  We will gladly provide them additional protection only in exchange of a ride to their next destination and aid to our wounded, almost dead companion?

I will try first aid, if you all wish me to as I have int of 4 (but not trained in first aid).  I will use a fortune point.  I only have 2 fellowship so if Eldred has better numbers in this maybe he should try to deal with the people in the coach with the reasons stated above.  

If you provide them with advanced warning, and the fact that maybe you could help fend off an attack, they MAY allow you to ride-along.

It is a 2d social action (or perform stunt -charm) check to talk them into it (influence).

As I noted last post, it's a 2d charm skill check (use the effects on the Perform stunt card). 

You can each make a check to try to talk them into it.

Good luck..the merchant is not a patient man...

#59 Desalus

Desalus

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:50 AM

Since the encounter is over with the monsters I'm assuming my stance resets to neutral. Let me know if I'm wrong about that.

Eldred cries out with desperation, "Gentleman please, lend us your help! We were just attacked by a party of greenskins and our comrade lies dying in the woods. If any of you are trained in first-aid, or if you have clean bandages, please help us!

If you do not believe what we tell you, take a look at my friend’s hand; look at the wet blood upon our clothes and our weapons. Any man can see that we are fresh from battle with greenskins. We are no bandits or thieves. We are honest men who have just been attacked by the Empire’s enemy!

If you insist on something in return for your help, we will gladly tell you of which road not to take on your journey to Marienburg. That information may save your lives."

Action: Perform A Stunt

Fortune points: 1 (0 remaining now)

Rolled: 3 Characteristic, 1 Fortune, 2 Challenge

Result: 1 Success

#60 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,094 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 02:19 PM

There is some additional discourse, but you appeal to the roadwarden.  von Rothstein argues, but eventually allows you all to ride on the roof.  He berates the roadwarden, "Rutger, one of these days your softness is going to get us all killed."

Rutger the roadwarden gets you some bandages and spirits to pour on the wounds. (This grants an additional Yellow die to your First Aid check on Jan-Eric.  Your check succeeds automatically for purposes of the story.)

Jan-Eric seems safe for now, as his wounds have stabilized.  The ride on the roof of the carriage is bumpy, cold, and leaves you constantly dodging branches and spiderwebs.

The carriage takes you back north towards Talabheim.  You pass your original ambush site at a rapid pace.  You have to look away...  

Once Taalagad comes into view, you finally breathe collective sigh's of relief and bid Rutger Abend, the coachman, and the merchant Klaus von Rothstein   auf wiedersehen and safe journey.

The journey ends at the The Ten-Tailed Cat: Perhaps the most famous of Taalgad's venues is the Ten-Tailed Cat, a tavern run by an ex-Pit fighter named Sluro.  The tavern is known far and wide for its policy of providing patrons with free ale in exchange for a tale or two.  Some stories are humorous, some are disturbing, and others are downright bizarre.  Regardless fo teh yarn's outcome, the crowd's reaction judges its worth.  If the crowd voices its approval, free ale is awarded immediately and the Cup Duty does not apply.

All manner of characters patronize the tavern.  Of all the taverns in Taalagad, it is perhaps the most cosmopolitan.  Local customers rub elbows with patrons from all over the Empire, as well as those folk who hail rom strange nations far beyond the Empire's borders.  It will be a great place to lick your wounds and look for a new job.
~Terror in Talabheim

THE END

- Any questions or thoughts on play?

- You can read about what happens to Rutger Abend and von Rothstein in the free download adventure, "Day Late, Shilling Short."

- Tales from the Ten-Tailed Cat was a comic book series produced for Warhammer

Thanks!

Jay Hafner

Edited by Emirikol, 29 September 2013 - 02:24 PM.

• brrak likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS