• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:30 PM

Regarding Eldred: Since he was successful in finding shelter overnight, he heals his toughness in wounds, so that is wound is healed up today.  Normally there is no effect from wounds until they become criticals (as you can see from the backs of the wound cards).

You guys haven't declared if you are going to enter combat yet, but here's how COMBAT works:

REPORTING YOUR COMBAT ACTIONS ON PLAY BY POST

Use your rulebook and just walk through your steps.  Indicate the following:

1. STANCE: If you shift your stance (more reckless or conservative)..and if you spend stress to shift an extra one in the same round (maximum is how ever many you have available for your character).
  2. MANEUVER: If you move into combat (engaged and with which enemy), or do any other maneuvers (see maneuver list in your rulebook).  Some skill checks are free actions. Some require a "maneuver" to pull off.
  3. ACTION: What your Action will be (for example:  Run up and make a Melee strike vs the goblin)
  4. DICE RESULTS
  5. Don't forget to remove one recharge from your action at the end of your turn.  (example:  if you have an ability that takes 4 rounds to get into position to use again, when you finish your current turn of using it, it goes down to a 3).

Here's how you put your dice pools together: 

(For example: Run up and make a melee strike vs. the goblin)

1. BLUE: Blue dice equal to characteristic (strength for melee, agility for ranged)
  2. YELLOW: yellow die if Trained in Weapon Skill (or ballistic skill if ranged attack)
  3. PURPLE: Always 1 purple die for combat difficulty. 
  4. MONSTER DEFENSE SCORE: 1 black die because of the goblin's DEFENSE score. Other monsters listed below.
  5. STANCE: Exchange one blue die for each stance shift either red or green (if you shift your stance).
  6. DARKNESS: 3 black dice because it's really dark in the woods and barely light yet

Example:  Strength 4 blue, untrained (no bonus yellow), 1 red reckless (exchange for 1 blue), 3 black for darkness, 1 black for monster defense..and always 1 purple for base combat difficulty.

Other Optional Dice:

1. SPECIALIZATIONS: 1 white die IF you have a specialization in a particular weapon:  If any of you have a specialization in your particular weapon skill (example: if you have weapon skill specialized for great weapon and you're using a great sword). 
  2. FORTUNE POINTS:  If and when you decide to use these, they are worth 1 white each.  Declare them before you roll.
  3. SPECIAL ACTIONS:  Your special action card might have a variable difficulty as listed on the card in the upper left hand corner.  Some tricks are just harder to pull off than others.
  4. CHARACTERISTIC FORTUNE DICE: As you advance, you can gain characteristic fortune dice.  You don't have any of these yet.

Other than that, there's no worrying about massive charts and variables, but the GM can add white or black dice on the fly.  It's narrative after all.  Make your action and declare according to your results :)

MONSTER DEFENSE DICE (black misfortune dice)

Goblin:  Defense 1 black

Snotling:  zero defense

Small Squig: 1 defense

INFLUENCING an opponent works in a very similar way except instead of inflicting wounds, you're trying to get them to do something :)

Edited by Emirikol, 26 September 2013 - 03:57 PM.

#22 Greenspectre

Greenspectre

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:02 PM

You will have to walk me through this, especially the stance since I don’t understand it and how the exchange dice works.

I wish to shoot at the goblin with my longbow.  
I have agility 4, lv 1 ballistic skill, bow specialization
Will use my bullseye action card on the goblin
My talents are 
Flanking manoever and shadow stalker- are they active automatically?  flanking- does it apply for the rest of the encounter after "use" or only the round "activated" or whatever and can I use it if I am not actually in melee (yet) myself?
As I am not sure about the use of stance, I will just say I shift 1 into the reckless

Can you please build my dice pool, and explain the process-or at least the stance portion and the dice exchange you mention? I am assuming that the 4 blue I have with agility would actually turn into 3 blue and 1 red (for the 1 reckless stance?)
Sorry, but have never played and although have the books-core and players guide have not really read too much, and haven’t had chance to do so since we began last night.

Edited by Greenspectre, 26 September 2013 - 07:05 PM.

#23 brrak

brrak

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:46 PM

"Seeing Klaus ready his bow and let fly at the goblin, Jan-Eric pulls his buckler close, raises his sword, and charges down the short hill at the gobo leader. Ready to visit some vengeance on the greenskins for their earlier carnage he hopes they will be able to break this group before they can rally together or call for reinforcements."

Stance: move one to reckless
Maneuvers: spend 1 fatigue to close from medium range and engage the goblin
Actions: basic melee attack vs the goblin
Rolled: 2 Characteristic, 1 Reckless, 1 Challenge, 4 Misfortune
Result: 1 Success, 2 Banes, 1 Chaos Star, 1 Exertion (!)

Wow. Interesting roll. Maybe I should have added some fortune dice. I'll let you adjudicate the result. One question, how does one use the basic defense actions like block? Do I have to forgo an attack or is that a response action?

#24 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:06 PM

You will have to walk me through this, especially the stance since I don’t understand it and how the exchange dice works.

I wish to shoot at the goblin with my longbow.  
I have agility 4, lv 1 ballistic skill, bow specialization
Will use my bullseye action card on the goblin
My talents are 
Flanking manoever and shadow stalker- are they active automatically?  flanking- does it apply for the rest of the encounter after "use" or only the round "activated" or whatever and can I use it if I am not actually in melee (yet) myself?
As I am not sure about the use of stance, I will just say I shift 1 into the reckless

Can you please build my dice pool, and explain the process-or at least the stance portion and the dice exchange you mention? I am assuming that the 4 blue I have with agility would actually turn into 3 blue and 1 red (for the 1 reckless stance?)
Sorry, but have never played and although have the books-core and players guide have not really read too much, and haven’t had chance to do so since we began last night.

Sure, here's how you come to your dice.  Let's break it down:

1.  Using BULLSEYE action, it doesn't matter which direction you go (green or red) as the effect appears the same either way. You indicate that you'll be going one into Red/Reckless stance.

2.  Talents:  Both of your talents are active and constant (they don't say "exhaust" which means recharge of 4).  You can use any talent that is "socketed."  You just take that card and "socket" it to that particular slot on the side of your career sheet. During encounter mode, a character can exchange a talent or socket a talent into an empty slot by performing a maneuver. Notes on your talents:

•  CONSTANT EFFECT IF IN MELEE:a Flanking maneuver only works if you enter melee.  As you are attacking ranged, we can ignore that one for now.
  • CONSTANT EFFECT:  Shadow Stalker: Add white to Stealth checks. This applies at all time, so this synergizes well with the Bullseye action.

3. You are absolutely correct how you exchange one blue die for a more beneficial red die when you move into reckless stance.  The red/green dice increase your chances of successes, and the red die increases your chances of double successes.

Your dice pool will look like this:  3 blue, 1 red, 1 yellow (trained in ballistic), 1 white for specialization in bow, 1 purple for base combat difficulty, 3 black because it's really dark out, 1 black for the goblin's natural armor, and two more purple because you're using Bullseye (has the benefit of getting a critical more easily).  The extra purple dice make this a tough action to pull off, but if you do, you'll practically blow the goblin's head off because you get to pick the best critical wound from 3 drawn.  This is a pretty big stack of dice!  Roll 'em and see how you do!   :)

Edited by Emirikol, 26 September 2013 - 09:08 PM.

#25 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:14 PM

One question, how does one use the basic defense actions like block? Do I have to forgo an attack or is that a response action?

When you get attacked, you will automatically use them.  They are usable every other round (recharge 2).  I think you're eligible for dodge and parry. If you have a shield, you can also use block.  For play by post, I'm not going to have you track them.  I'll just give you a 1 black bonus constantly added to your defense.. 

jh

#26 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:31 PM

"Seeing Klaus ready his bow and let fly at the goblin, Jan-Eric pulls his buckler close, raises his sword, and charges down the short hill at the gobo leader. Ready to visit some vengeance on the greenskins for their earlier carnage he hopes they will be able to break this group before they can rally together or call for reinforcements."

Stance: move one to reckless
Maneuvers: spend 1 fatigue to close from medium range and engage the goblin
Actions: basic melee attack vs the goblin
Rolled: 2 Characteristic, 1 Reckless, 1 Challenge, 4 Misfortune
Result: 1 Success, 2 Banes, 1 Chaos Star, 1 Exertion (!)

Wow. Interesting roll. Maybe I should have added some fortune dice. I'll let you adjudicate the result. One question, how does one use the basic defense actions like block? Do I have to forgo an attack or is that a response action?

Great!  You hit the goblin (1 success).

You suffer 1 fatigue for the 2 banes

You suffer an additional fatigue for the 1 exertion symbol

The Chaos star effect is: [GM rolling on a secret chart behind his GM screen...."You wade a little too deep into combat. Lose your free maneuver next turn."]

Now, here's how you calculate damage:

Total Damage: Add the DR of the weapon (5) to your strength (3).  You will do this amount any time you hit. You will do more with more successes and if you inflict a Critical wound (eagles = CR of the weapon).

MINUS Total Soak: Next, damage is reduced by the Total damage Soak of the goblin. It is equal to his armor soak plus his toughness: 1+3= (4 Total Soak)

EQUALS Damage Done: Here's how much damage go through to the flesh of the goblin: (4 points of damage done to the goblin)

"The goblin takes a watchman's sword through the shoulder and screams in pain!  One group of snotlings soils the mushrooms beneath their feet and flee into the woods screaming "Daemons!  Daemons! They're coming to eat us! Run away!"

forest%20glade%20battle%20watchman%20cha

Edited by Emirikol, 26 September 2013 - 09:35 PM.

#27 Desalus

Desalus

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:45 PM

As he watches Klaus and Jan-Eric prepare for battle, Eldred feels that he has little choice but to join the battle. With revenge on his mind, Eldred feels composed as he loads a bolt into his crossbow and takes aim at the clear leader of the greenskin bunch.

1.       Eldred adjusts his stance one to the left to become conservative.

2.       Eldred readies his crossbow by pulling the crossbow lever and loading a new bolt.

3.       Eldred uses the ranged shot attack along with his “favored by fate” race ability (+ two fortune dice) to attack the goblin.

4.       Eldred Rolled: 1 Characteristic, 1 Conservative, 2 Fortune, 1 Challenge, 4 Misfortune Result: 1 Challenge, 1 Bane

Edited by Desalus, 27 September 2013 - 08:00 AM.

#28 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:54 PM

Damnable darkness! You missed!

Edited by Emirikol, 26 September 2013 - 09:55 PM.

#29 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:27 PM

While we wait on Klaus the Scout, I'll have the greenskins retaliate:

Snotling henchmen group #1 sits in total confusion, awaiting their commanders whip. One picks his nose with another snotling's finger and the third one fights the first for rights to eat the boogar. A wrestling match ensues.

The second group of snotling henchmen decides to attack you.  They cannot see well in the gloom.

* 1blue, 1 green 1 purple 3 black for the darkness 2 black for defense, 2 white for the 2nd and 3rd members of the group.

Rolled: 1 Characteristic, 1 Conservative, 2 Fortune, 1 Challenge, 5 MisfortuneResult: 1 Challenge, 1 Bane, 1 Chaos Star

Effect:  Not only do they miss you entirely, the chaos star means one snotling in this group grows avarice towards the first group's rough-housing and leaves to fight with Henchmen group #1

The Goblin directs the squig to attack you with a command that sounds like "sikka sikka sikka". It bounces out of his

master's hand and tries to latch onto your leg with  the Chompity, chomp chomp! action (additional purple, yellow).

Rolled: 2 Characteristic, 1 Conservative, 2 Reckless, 1 Expertise, 2 Challenge, 5 MisfortuneResult: 4 Challenges, 1 Boon

EFFECT:  He misses, and tears into a patch of mushrooms under your feet like a lawnmower.

Alright, back to you all.  Klaus, Eldred, Jan-Eric.

#30 brrak

brrak

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:28 AM

WFRP combat feels dangerous and visceral. I'm nervous for poor Jan-Eric surrounded by all those snotlings.

Jan-Eric is equipped with a leather jack, a small shield, and a sword -- he's also got some torches in his rucksack. The town council wasn't rich or generous so no halberd, plate, or lamp for him.

Stance: Stay at one reckless

Maneuver: Nothing -- lost free maneuver (I'm currently at 3 fatigue)

Action: Basic melee vs the goblin -- I think I'm going to use one of my fortune point and add white die to the pool

Rolled: 2 Characteristic, 1 Reckless, 1 Fortune, 1 Challenge, 4 Misfortune

Result: 1 Challenge, 1 Boon

Unfortunately, looks like a miss. Another question, if we wanted to use something a defense action like "Assess the Situation" or "Guarded Position" do they also incur the 3 misfortune penalty for darkness?

Surrounded by snotlings and their goblin leader, Jan-Eric makes a wild swing at the goblin while shouting curses at the small gibbering creature chomping at his feat.

#31 Greenspectre

Greenspectre

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:23 AM

“Damn greenskins, they won’t have the drop on us this time!” Klaus mutters as he unslings his bow, notching an arrow while as quietly as possible he positions himself behind a tree and  takes careful aim at the nasty and obvious leader of this bunch.  He concentrates, and sees Jan-Eric charge and swing at the goblin drawing blood.  Praying that Sigmar will guide his arrow to target, he loose the arrow while just as the goblin begins to mutter something and an object flies out of its hand. 

I also used a fortune point to add 1 white dice to my dice pool in addition to the other actions I related to you in gathering this dice pool.

Rolled: 3 Characteristic, 1 Reckless, 1 Expertise, 2 Fortune, 3 Challenge, 4 Misfortune
Result: 4 Successes, 3 Banes, 1 Chaos Star
I will also let you explain what the results mean, especially what they mean for having used bullseye.

For damage:  5 (longbow), + 3 strength, + 4 successes,- 4 soak for target = 8 total wounds ?

Edited by Greenspectre, 27 September 2013 - 07:33 AM.

• brrak likes this

#32 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:29 PM

Jan-Eric:  Unfortunately, looks like a miss. Another question, if we wanted to use something a defense action like "Assess the Situation" or "Guarded Position" do they also incur the 3 misfortune penalty for darkness?

*   Assess the situation means you'd have to observe your surroundings, so I'd say yes.  As for Guarded Position, it would only be a penalty if your opponent could see and you couldn't.   Jan Eric is going to be in a lot of trouble this round when the greenskins retaliate (especially since you're outnumbered).

Klaus:  Result: 4 Successes, 3 Banes, 1 Chaos Star
I will also let you explain what the results mean, especially what they mean for having used bullseye.For damage:  5 (longbow), + 3 strength, + 4 successes,- 4 soak for target = 8 total wounds ?

NOTE:  For ranged weapons, you use your AGILITY for bonus damage instead of strength.  So in your case it should be 9 damage instead of 8.  You don't count successes for bonus damage (unless you house rule that for your group).  They just determine the effect.  (See action description below).

EFFECT (Reference on how to translate your dice to the effects on a card):

• First success:  You hit for normal damage
  • Second Success: You hit for normal damage and draw 3 critical wounds, pick one to apply.
  • First bane:  You give away your location
  • Second two banes:  Suffer 1 fatigue.
  • The two extra successes are unused for purposes of this Action.
  • Card has a recharge of 2, so you cannot use it again until after next round and you can't attack a target that can see you.  Until then, you can use a simple "Ranged Shot".

Here are the 3 criticals I drew for you. Which one would you like him to suffer? [guessing head shot :)  ]

• Minor nuisance: add black to agility ch3ecks severity 3
  • Short of breath: suffer 1 fatigue each time you sue an active defense severity 2
  • Head Shot - severe injury - suffer black to all intelligence cheks severity 4; permanency 13

card-head-shot-1.png

The goblin had 6 left on his wound threshold.  He suffered 5 from your arrow, plus an additional 4 for the critical hit.  NICE SHOT!  The goblin takes an arrow right between the eyes!

Here's what the Bullseye does:

RED Bullseye              Recharge: 2           Difficulty: PP
Ballistic Skill (Ag) vs. Target Defence Bow equipped, target cannot see you
H You hit for normal damage
HH You hit for normal damage and draw 3 critical wounds. Choose 1 to apply to
the target and discard the others
S You give away your location
EE The target adds WW to Observation (Int) checks to locate you until this card
recharges

Edited by Emirikol, 27 September 2013 - 02:49 PM.

#33 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:41 PM

forest%20glade%20dead%20head%20round.jpg

The two remaining (not boogar-wrestling) snotlings charge Klaus (suffering 1 fatigue, which translates to a wound for monsters).

Action: Melee strike

Rolled: 1 Characteristic, 1 Conservative, 1 Fortune, 1 Challenge, 5 Misfortune
Result: 1 Delay

Effect:  The two remaining snotlings get distracted at the fact that their commander goblin is taking a nap (with an arrow through his head).

The Squig attacks Jan-Eric (outnumbered)

Rolled: 2 Characteristic, 2 Reckless, 1 Expertise, 1 Fortune, 1 Challenge, 5 Misfortune
Result: 2 Successes

Effect:  The squig finally gets a hold of your leg and takes a big CHOMP!  Take 8 wounds (minus your armor soak and toughness).

The other snotlings attack Jan-Eric

Rolled: 1 Characteristic, 1 Conservative, 2 Fortune, 1 Challenge, 5 Misfortune

Result: 2 Banes
Effect:  they're hitting everything but you! Snotling suffers a wound.

Ok, you're up!

Edited by Emirikol, 27 September 2013 - 03:25 PM.

#34 brrak

brrak

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:21 PM

"Yearrgh!" Jan-Eric groans in pain. He kicks out at the nasty squig and brings his sword down in a wild arc.

Thanks, Klaus! Just in time. Jan-Eric has 3 fatigue and 2 wounds (8 - 4 tough - 2 soak).

Stance: +1 reckless

Maneuver: -

Action: Basic melee vs squig

Rolled: 1 Characteristic, 2 Reckless, 1 Challenge, 4 Misfortune

Result: 3 Banes

Dang! So, if I'd wanted to use a maneuver to disengage after my melee would that bring me back to close range? Does one maneuver count for disengaging from multiple combatants? 

#35 Desalus

Desalus

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:13 PM

Eldred, realizing how poor of a shot he is with the crossbow, throws it to the ground and hastily unslings his militia halberd and charges the two snotlings surrounding Klaus as quickly and quietly as he can manage. He attempts to spear the nearest snotling with the halberd's spike but...

Stance: +2 Conservative

Action: Melee Strike

Rolled:1 Characteristic, 2 Conservative, 1 Challenge, 3 Misfortune

Result: 1 Bane

Edited by Desalus, 27 September 2013 - 06:14 PM.

#36 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:34 PM

Dang! So, if I'd wanted to use a maneuver to disengage after my melee would that bring me back to close range? Does one maneuver count for disengaging from multiple combatants? 

The cost is 2 maneuvers (means you suffer 1 fatigue).  One to disengage and one to move from engaged to close range.

Engage or Disengage from an opponent. If a target is already
within close range of a character or engagement, the character
can perform a manoeuvre to engage that target. Once engaged
with one or more opponents, a character must perform a manoeuvre
to safely disengage. Characters do not need to perform
this manoeuvre to leave an engagement consisting only of
friendly characters or allies.

#37 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:38 PM

Make sure you always add in 1 purple (you would have missed anyways).

You'll notice that you guys are missing A LOT.  The reason is those 3 extra black dice for the darkness.  Normally your chance to hit will hover around 75-80% for most encounters.  With the darkness, that plummets to 20-30%.

It's important for you as a GM to get an idea of the percentage chances of success so you have an idea of what to throw in for extra black or white dice.  You'll notice that dice roller has a "calculate  probabilities" at the bottom.

My next post (shortly) will be the monsters' turn again.  

#38 Desalus

Desalus

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:43 PM

I had one challenge/purple die in it. Do I need two purple dice in my dice pool? 

#39 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:06 PM

@Desalus:  Oh yea, whoops.  nevermind :)

things%20looking%20grim.jpg

Hungry Squig vs Jan-Eric

Action:  Chompity Chomp Chomp

Rolled: 2 Characteristic, 2 Reckless, 2 Expertise, 2 Fortune, 2 Challenge, 4 Misfortune
Result: 1 Success, 2 Boons, 1 Comet

Effect: 10 wounds plus ONE CRITICAL from the comet

Critical Effect drawn:  MINOR TRAUMA (Severity 3):  Add one black to Willpower checks

Snotlings Group #3 (THREE SNOTLINGS excited at the fact that they've not been harmed and they want scraps of Jan-Eric before the squig eats it all)

Action: Swarm 'Em! 

Rolled: 1 Characteristic, 1 Conservative, 4 Fortune, 2 Challenge, 4 Misfortune
Result: 1 Challenge, 1 Boon

Effect:  They decided against getting between the squig and his meal!  MISSED.

Snotlings Group #2 (TWO SNOTLINGS scrabbling over each other to get to Eldred as he smells like mom used to make)

Rolled: 1 Characteristic, 1 Conservative, 3 Fortune, 2 Challenge, 5 Misfortune
Result: 4 Challenges

Effect:  They don't even get to you with that halberd being waived around

Snotlings Group #1 (FOUR snotlings done wrestling; one dropped the boogar, but knows where he can get more...FROM THE SCOUT!)

Rolled: 1 Characteristic, 1 Conservative, 4 Fortune, 2 Challenge, 5 Misfortune
Result: 1 Success, 1 Boon

Effect:  HIT Klaus for 6 wounds! They make their numbers count.  They hit you for normal damage, +1 damage for every three greenskins in the engagement (already calculated in).

You guys are up!  The snotlings are motivated now that they don't have to give their share to their mean, old goblin taskmaster!

Edited by Emirikol, 27 September 2013 - 08:12 PM.

#40 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:13 PM

If any of you were skipped in the previous rounds, I'm going to let you take two turns this round.

It is becoming more light out.  Now your darkness penalty is only 2 additional black dice.

I recommend everyone start using up their fortune points :)

MONSTER DEFENSE DICE (black misfortune dice)
Goblin:  Defense 1 black
Snotling:  zero defense
Small Squig: 1 defense

jh

Edited by Emirikol, 27 September 2013 - 08:41 PM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS