• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 CaelanCross

CaelanCross

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:19 PM

Hi Everyone,

I just played the Violinist, Patrice Hathaway, in a game last night I have a question about her personal story.  In order to complete her story she places a clue token on her story card each time she "Draws" a unique item and she succeeds after she has placed two tokens on her card. That seems simple enough but...

She begins play in the Curiosity Shop where in place of an encounter a character may "Draw" three unique items and her story card does not specify that she needs to draw the cards from other sources like encounters, monsters and mythos cards; so, can she satisfy the requirements of her story just by drawing cards from the curiosity shop's special encounter or is there some rule or erata about this that I am missing?  

P.S. I used this tactic to complete her story after I saw another player camp out at the Shop to find books for Dexter Drake's personal story. 

#2 jackman51

jackman51

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:53 PM

It would not be enough to merely draw a Unique item-you would also have to purchase it. As long as you can manage that sure you can draw right from the Curiositee Shop. You will likely need another investigator to give her some money or get yourself a bank loan or retainer or both.

• Julia likes this

#3 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,081 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:00 AM

Yes. Jackman is right. "Draw" means "draw and keep" as "read" in Minh's personal story implies "reads succesfully" and so on

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#4 CaelanCross

CaelanCross

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:16 PM

That makes a lot more sense, but just out of curiosity, where does it actually say that in the rules? 

#5 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,081 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:32 PM

It's not in the rules, but in the latest FAQ, pag 37:

Q: Several personal Story Cards require an investigator to place a Clue token on the card each time the investigator draws a certain kind of item. Is a Clue token placed on the card in cases where the card type is drawn but not taken? For example, if Amanda Sharpe is using the Curiositie Shoppe’s special ability, she draws three Unique Items and then purchases one. For this does she gain three Clue tokens or just one?
A: It would count as only one. The intention of these Personal Story cards is that a Clue token is placed on the card each time an investigator draws and keeps a card of the appropriate type.

• CaelanCross likes this
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#6 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:05 PM

...and it doesn't include one's starting possessions.

• Julia likes this

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#7 CaelanCross

CaelanCross

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:48 PM

...and it doesn't include one's starting possessions.

I just assumed that seeing as how she starts with 2 unique items and that would mean she'd succeed before the game even started ;)

Thx for the replies everyone,

Edited by CaelanCross, 25 September 2013 - 11:05 AM.

• The Professor likes this

#8 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:28 AM

CaelanCross,

She's already the most broken Investigator...that would make her even more broken! :D

Cheers,

Joe

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS