• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Herald

Herald

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:47 AM

Greetings fellow invesigators,

just last night I was wondering if we play with the expansions correctly. We have CotDP, KiY, LatT, DH and KH. We have all of the cards shuffled together, encounters, mythos, items, everything. Each game we decide if we want to add any other mechanic from any expansion. Which means sometimes we don't have mood e.g. for Injuries/Madness, so we don't use that decks at all and it basicaly rules out Rita to be chosen, because her Resilient would be useless. It also makes Jacquelines' Precognition even more useless (I never liked it much) with Mythos deck about 6cm high. The example with not playing Injuries/Madness also interfers in some encounters (I remember one in The Unnamable to draw Madness card), which then has to be drawn again, to be able to fully resolve it. Mythos cards with gates opening on places we don't have (we don't play with that board for example) have to be also skipped and so on and so on, you have the picture.

Now the question is, isn't there some limitation to cards used or something like that? For example "mix your Other World cards with expansions, but then use only 50 to keep the deck small"? Or something like "you can use item cards from all expansions, but only use encounter cards and Mythos cards from those you really play"? How do you guys play your expansions? Every time separating the cards at the end of your game and at the start of new one shuffling them back together?

#2 Schwaig

Schwaig

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:32 AM

Greetings Herald,

I usually separate all the cards at the end of our games and use all the elements of the expansions we chose for this game. Exceptions are made for the personal stories and the relations, they are used every game. 

Problem with this method is of course the time-consuming separation of the elements at the end of the game and sometimes the cards, especially the mythosdeck, are not perfectly shuffled at the start of a game.

But I don't see any great problems with the method you use.

• Julia likes this

#3 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:32 AM

Herald,

This game provides each player the option for ultimate customization...some players use a portion of every deck, others create separate Mythos decks depending on which expansions they're playing, and finally, for players like me...I'm an "all-in" player ~ every expansion and every card for every game.  Now, I play with a very specific Variant to ensure that every game doesn't end in a loss by the 8th Mythos card.  If you're interested, check out my blog over at bgg for the Variant, titled: Arkham Horror: 4-Investigator/All Expansion Variant.

If you're interested in taming the 6cm (or higher) Mythos deck, check out my Kickstarter Project, entitled Crafthulhu.  A number of Arkhamites here and many others at bgg have these pieces adorning their game table.

While the KS is over, we've started selling our pieces.  I've interviewed and worked with several website companies to no avail and I've even attempted to understand the not-so-very intuitive software, WordPress.  I'm giving one more individual a shot at this site, and then I'm setting-up one on SquareSpace.  

Cheers,

Joe

Edited by The Professor, 23 September 2013 - 02:20 AM.

• Julia likes this

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#4 Joseph_Lavode

Joseph_Lavode

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:17 AM

I don't like to use more than 2 expansions at once, or now 2 plus Miskatonic. I leave all the expansions shuffled in, because separating them out is too annoying and time consuming for me, but for Mythos and Encounter cards of any sort I keep drawing until I find a card from the expansions I'm using in the game, and discard all those from other expansions. I usually use all the items, etc, regardless of what expansions I'm using, except allies and one or two skills from miskatonic tied to specific expansions.

#5 Herald

Herald

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:56 AM

Thanks for your remarks. By the way, speaking about expansions, do you have/did you play the revised version of the Dark Pharaoh? Is it worth the money, when we already have the old version?:) It's our most favorite expansion, but buying something we already have, I don't know...

#6 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,242 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:02 AM

The old DP was a good one, but had too many badly worded cards, plus the Barred from Neighborhood mechanics were annoying. Anyway, the best thing to do is reading this post made by Tibs at BGG where he enters in the deepest detail of the two editions. Hope this helps!

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#7 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:16 PM

...I've incorporated the old and the new Pharoah...quite exciting...Barred from Neighborhoods and Patrols!

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS