Should I start Black Crusade?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Amroth

Amroth

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:39 PM

Yep as GM you have full freedom to tailor the adventure and so the onus is on you to have them act as your vision of how Night Lords would behave.

So answering your original question Black Crusade would give you all the tools you need to do this so go for it!

#22 Robomummy

Robomummy

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:40 PM

My only concern is that without Human renegades in the party it would be a little one-dimensional. I thought black crusade was supposed to be specifically about CSM, I didn't know there was a human element to it.

Check out my podcast Buckets Of Dice where myself and a friend review how to start various different kinds of tabletop, roleplaying, and CCG games. http://bucketsofdice.podomatic.com/ Each episode focuses on a new game, we discuss a little about the game's backround, rules, how to start/ what to buy, and a little about the company.  

#23 Athanatosz

Athanatosz

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:42 AM

it can go either way...

You can go as full marine or human disciples of chaos Also you can mix it.. Each way is encouraged by the authors as the core rule book mentioned..

One of my players want to bring a dark eldar and recently I was looking in the dark heresy rulebook  when i discovered that daemonhost's also not far from being a playing characters to...(maybe advanced)

"I am determined to prove a villain

And hate the idle pleasures of these days."

KING RICHARD III

#24 Amroth

Amroth

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:16 AM

Black Crusade covers both humans and CSM but you don't need to mix them. In face I find it easier to play either just CSM or just cultists for my games as it makes it easier to keep the game balanced (mixing can be rewarding too it just requires a bit more work and care).

#25 Robomummy

Robomummy

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:31 AM

ok, I was thinking that the space marines filled a different niche in the party then the humans (for example humans are good at X and CSM are good at Y) but if they both can fulfill similar roles then it should be fine

Check out my podcast Buckets Of Dice where myself and a friend review how to start various different kinds of tabletop, roleplaying, and CCG games. http://bucketsofdice.podomatic.com/ Each episode focuses on a new game, we discuss a little about the game's backround, rules, how to start/ what to buy, and a little about the company.  

#26 Athanatosz

Athanatosz

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:35 PM

Well yes but worth to mention that  human chaos followers can easier blend to an imperial city and such places doing covert ops and spying than a CSM's also a group of CSM's is more than a match for a company of guardsman. And other common sense things...

Edited by Athanatosz, 29 September 2013 - 12:36 PM.

KING RICHARD III

#27 Robomummy

Robomummy

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:11 PM

Another quick question, what kind of NPCs are in the book? is it mostly imperial forces or other chaos forces or xenos?

#28 Athanatosz

Athanatosz

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:46 PM

Daemons (minor, lesser greater, beast) , Imperial and Inquisitorial lackey's, Adeptus astrates, Grey Knight's, common heretical followers,Dark eldars, Necrons, Harlequins... Really it is not matter if you got any other line book whic contain adversaries easy to blend them too... 

KING RICHARD III

#29 Athanatosz

Athanatosz

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:47 PM

But I also got 1 question maybe you can help me.. Can you name some terror tactics used buy the Night Lords? maybe some sort descriptions?

Edited by Athanatosz, 01 October 2013 - 02:47 PM.

KING RICHARD III

#30 Robomummy

Robomummy

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:33 PM

But I also got 1 question maybe you can help me.. Can you name some terror tactics used buy the Night Lords? maybe some sort descriptions?

Night lords terror tactics mainly includes tactics that subjugate a population. Resistance members are flayed alive and hung from streetlamps, any crimes are met with death, torture and murder of humans are the norm (think dark eldar but to a lesser degree). This is mainly for planets that they take control of for a period of time. For planets that they don't take control of entire cities and towns are massacred and flayed alive for the rest of the planet to see.

In combat this manifests as tactics such as fighting in darkened spaces taking advantage of their armor's autosenses and their own enhanced eyesight. In addition to this they will often hunt their target and toy with them until their target is out of their mind with fear, then they strike. They are also one of the few (if any) legions who wont flinch from running away from combat. "tactical cowardice" to them is a legitimate strategy and they aren't too afraid to use it.

Edited by Robomummy, 01 October 2013 - 06:34 PM.

#31 Magnus Grendel

Magnus Grendel

The Empire Needs You!

• Members
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:27 AM

Can you name some terror tactics used buy the Night Lords? maybe some sort descriptions?

Other examples listed in Index Astartes and novels include:

Orbital fire well away from cities - not to kill inhabitents but to kick up enough dust into the atmosphere to cause several months of permenant 'nuclear winter' twilight.

'The shriek' - a jamming system designed to blind auspex and vox systems. Other factions might use stealth (you can't see me at all), or 'white noise' jamming. The night lords essentially play amplified screaming into the EM spectrum.

Standard Night Lords tactics (mentioned by the Lion in Unremembered Empire) includes stringing up bodies somewhere obvious - making sure at least one of the 'corpses' is (just about) still alive and in terrible pain - and then boobytrapping the bodies with grenades to kill anyone attempting to help the wounded.

Kidnapping the commissar/priest responsible for much of the morale strength of an army and then skinning him live on an open channel broadcast.

Always leaving at least one 'survivor' from attacks to spread fear. Note that a survivor needs to be alive, with the use of their tongue. Limbs, eyes, and sanity are optional.

#32 Cifer

Cifer

• Members
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 05:33 AM

To elaborate a little:

BC works with archetypes that are a little like OW's specialities. For choosing an archetype, you get a set of skills and talents, basic gear and a special ability. Further progression is not handled by speciality (apart from only psykers being able to buy further psyker-y stuff), but by your dedication to a particular deity (or lack of it). Thus, every character can theoretically buy anything.

Regarding archetypes, there are 4 CSM and 4 human ones in the core book. The CSM ones are Champion (leader archetype, can lend others his bonuses when it comes to using Fate Infamy Points), Chosen (warrior archetype, can better inflict Righteous Fury Zealous Hatred), Sorcerer (psyker archetype, can... um... do psyker stuff) and Forsaken (scoundrel archetype, gains bonuses for acquiring gear - this is often houseruled as the bonus is kind of meh in comparison to the others). All of the archetypes contain basic CSM stuff so your Sorcerer will still be able to wield a boltgun.

There are also the advanced archetypes of the Tome line of books, with every book depicting two further human and two CSM ones, that come with skills, talents, gear and a new special ability. Those archetypes are created with more XP than the basic ones, so mixing them with basic ones can be problematic. That being said, there's a Night Lord archetype in the Tome of Blood. However, there's only one such archetype, meaning that if you use it, your entire group starts out with what are essentially slightly accentuated copies of the same character.

What I would suggest is using the basic archetypes so you get a diversified warband and then making the Night Lord special abilities (Spectral Haunter, gives bonuses for fighting in darkness; Terror Tactics, grants the Night Lord and allies a Fear Rating when they spend time terrifying a populace) available as tier3 talents.

#33 Robomummy

Robomummy

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:42 AM

To elaborate a little:

BC works with archetypes that are a little like OW's specialities. For choosing an archetype, you get a set of skills and talents, basic gear and a special ability. Further progression is not handled by speciality (apart from only psykers being able to buy further psyker-y stuff), but by your dedication to a particular deity (or lack of it). Thus, every character can theoretically buy anything.

Regarding archetypes, there are 4 CSM and 4 human ones in the core book. The CSM ones are Champion (leader archetype, can lend others his bonuses when it comes to using Fate Infamy Points), Chosen (warrior archetype, can better inflict Righteous Fury Zealous Hatred), Sorcerer (psyker archetype, can... um... do psyker stuff) and Forsaken (scoundrel archetype, gains bonuses for acquiring gear - this is often houseruled as the bonus is kind of meh in comparison to the others). All of the archetypes contain basic CSM stuff so your Sorcerer will still be able to wield a boltgun.

There are also the advanced archetypes of the Tome line of books, with every book depicting two further human and two CSM ones, that come with skills, talents, gear and a new special ability. Those archetypes are created with more XP than the basic ones, so mixing them with basic ones can be problematic. That being said, there's a Night Lord archetype in the Tome of Blood. However, there's only one such archetype, meaning that if you use it, your entire group starts out with what are essentially slightly accentuated copies of the same character.

What I would suggest is using the basic archetypes so you get a diversified warband and then making the Night Lord special abilities (Spectral Haunter, gives bonuses for fighting in darkness; Terror Tactics, grants the Night Lord and allies a Fear Rating when they spend time terrifying a populace) available as tier3 talents.

thanks for this, to clarify myself the players are not only going to be choosing the night lords archetype but they will all be from the night lords legion. I have decided to give them a special rule or trait that will bring this up in game while not forcing them to make the same character.

#34 Robomummy

Robomummy

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:21 PM

Ok so I just got my copy of the core rulebook and the first thing I do with a new RPG is create a test character. I just have a question, how do you tell what alignment you are because I can't seem to figure it out. Do you keep track of everything you purchase with xp or is it only characteristics, talents, or skills 

#35 Korrh

Korrh

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:44 PM

You start unaligned (unless you get an Aligned guy from Tomes) and count the alignment of all advancements you get after the starting ones. You should keep track of everything - characteristics, skills, talents and spells. Spells that don't belong to a specific god are Unaligned.

Every 10 corruption points (when your Corruption hits 10, 20, 30, etc) you check if you have 5 or more alignments in one god then others. If the answer is yes - you're aligned, enjoy your discounts ;) Next alignment check in 10 Corruption points.

Edited by Korrh, 09 October 2013 - 08:17 AM.

#36 Keffisch

Keffisch

• Members
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:08 AM

To add to the above, if you or one of your friends are playing a Chaos Space Marine the corruption track is different, it is 10, 30, etc.

@Robomummy

Yes, almost all advances have an affiliation, and also note that when you buy up skills (+10, +20, etc.) then each step counts toward being aligned.

Edited by Keffisch, 09 October 2013 - 03:10 AM.

#37 Routa-maa

Routa-maa

• Members
  • 563 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:35 AM

Also remember to check what Talents you gain from Cybernetics/Bionics. Example one gave you Iron Jaw (don't remember what it's name was), but that doesn't count towards your alignment.

Remembering: You check Alignment at every 10 Corruption you gain. But Mutations checks are differend for Human and Astartes characters.

As I don't have my books at hand right now I can't check.

Muutokselle annamme Elämän, Elämälle annamme Muutoksen.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS