Celestial Lions - How Many?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 CaptainStabby

CaptainStabby

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:56 PM

How many Celestial Lion marines are actually left at the end of Blood and Fire? Is there an exact count given? They had 96 when they lost the last of their Apothecaries but then they had another big battle so that's clearly not the right number.

Cheers folks.

#2 Korvis

Korvis

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:51 PM

Looks like 96 is the last 'official' know number:  http://wh40k.lexican...ns#.Uj0I59LMCSo

#3 Lynata

Lynata

• Members
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 04:23 PM

A Celestial Lions thread! \o/

Shame I can't offer any further information on the subject this time, though. As Korvis mentioned, 96 was the last number provided by GW - if you want to incorporate a Black Library novel that had them fight another battle after that incident into your interpretation of the setting, then I suppose you could only guess based on any casualties mentioned in that book as well as a certain amount of gut-feeling as to how many further losses they may have incurred that were not "narratively tracked" by that story.

Here's a backup of the Armageddon 3 campaign website with their article, though, if it's of any interest.

My own DW character is a Lion, too, and of course I've incorporated the incident on Armageddon in his backstory. It provides a neat motivation in "continueing the fight" in the name of his Chapter, as well as a secondary theme regarding the dark secret of who actually caused the Chapter to suffer this fate.

Edited by Lynata, 21 September 2013 - 04:26 PM.

#4 DJSunhammer

DJSunhammer

• Members
  • 622 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:24 PM

How does that work? Did you Celestial Lion time travel to the past? The Third War for Armageddon happens in 998.M41. The events of Deathwatch happen around 800.M41.

#5 CaptainStabby

CaptainStabby

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:39 AM

I'm going off the BL novella from July. Just wondering if they gave an actual number when they wander off to try to rebuild. 

"The resulting battle was massive with almost all of the remaining Celestial Lions dying. However, Pride Leader Dubaku was able to slay Warboss Thogfang with Grimaldus' help, avenging the loss of his Captain and Chapter"

That's AFTER they were down to 96 so clearly 96 is not the final count when they go off to try to rebuild. I just dont know what "almost all" means from the Lexicanum article. Time to antagonize the author on twitter I suppose! :P

#6 Lynata

Lynata

• Members
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:30 PM

How does that work? Did you Celestial Lion time travel to the past? The Third War for Armageddon happens in 998.M41. The events of Deathwatch happen around 800.M41.

I'm assuming CaptainStabby's group plays in 999.M41, just like my group does (we're also using Talasa Prime as a base rather than FFG's Watch Fortress).

That's AFTER they were down to 96 so clearly 96 is not the final count when they go off to try to rebuild. I just dont know what "almost all" means from the Lexicanum article. Time to antagonize the author on twitter I suppose!  :P

You could also ask on other forums such as Warseer or DakkaDakka.

If you wish, I could ask around on your behalf on the latter, provided you don't want to create an account yourself?

Edited by Lynata, 23 September 2013 - 01:33 PM.

#7 CaptainStabby

CaptainStabby

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:17 PM

No worries, I'll sort it out. I'm actually thinking of a CL appearance in a Rogue Trader game, just trying to work out the fiction behind it so it's not completely absurd.

As far as "official" dates go for the RPG.... meh. Things like that are largely irrelevant for me in my games unless they actually become a plot point. Also, The Warp works in mysterious ways. :)

• Lynata likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS