• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Herald

Herald

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:48 AM

Hi all,

last night we were playing a 3-player game and we went all the way to the final battle. As we were 3, we needed 3 hits to remove one doom token from our GOO. In the first round, we together scored 10 hits, which means 3 doom tokens were removed and 1 hit was "stored" for the next round. During GOO's attack, 2 investigators died, so only 1 remained for the next attack and therefore he needed only 1 hit to remove doom token. During his roll, he scored 2 hits. And now comes the question: does he remove 3 doom tokens for his 2 hits and that 1 hit "stored" from the previous round? Or since that 1 hit was scored when 3 players were still alive, it doesn't count anymore? Or do we play something completely wrong with our hits?

Thanks for any advice!

#2 Garthnait

Garthnait

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:53 AM

I think the devoured investigators do count. So only 1 token for 3 hits.

But I'm not an expert in these things.

Edited by Garthnait, 19 September 2013 - 09:53 AM.

Dices, cubic messengers of fate.

#3 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,296 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:22 AM

The number of successes required to remove one doom token is equal to the number of investigators playing the game. This is constant, regardless of:

a) investigators dead because they were LiTaS when the AO awoke (so, if you play 5, but you start FB with only 3 investigators alive, you still need 5 successes to remove one doomer)

b) board reduction factor (this is relevant only if you have two or more expansion boards in play; not so sure it's your case, so I won't cover it here. If you need, just ask for the details)

c) investigators dead during Final Battle (so, if you start the FB with 5 investigators, each doom token requires 5 successes to be removed, regardless of the number of investigators actually alive after round 1)

Hope this helps

JULIA

• Tibs and Herald like this
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#4 Herald

Herald

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:15 AM

The number of successes required to remove one doom token is equal to the number of investigators playing the game. This is constant, regardless of:

a) investigators dead because they were LiTaS when the AO awoke (so, if you play 5, but you start FB with only 3 investigators alive, you still need 5 successes to remove one doomer)

b) board reduction factor (this is relevant only if you have two or more expansion boards in play; not so sure it's your case, so I won't cover it here. If you need, just ask for the details)

c) investigators dead during Final Battle (so, if you start the FB with 5 investigators, each doom token requires 5 successes to be removed, regardless of the number of investigators actually alive after round 1)

Hope this helps

JULIA

So we were playing it wrong. For a pretty long time:) There are ALWAYS some rules in this game we play wrong or totaly forget:( Thanks a lot Julia!

#5 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,296 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:22 AM

You're welcome :) And don't worry, two weeks ago I realised that I've always played Visions wrong :facepalm: Arkham is quite a big ocean, full of nuances sometimes difficult to catch

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#6 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:32 PM

Julia,

Just curious...how were you playing the Visions card?  I ask, because I had to read it again to note that "any other Investigator may discard a Spell..." or unless you play with the revised one, "may choose one other investigator to to gain +1 focus"

Ciao,

Joe

Edited by The Professor, 21 September 2013 - 07:36 PM.

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#7 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,296 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 02:12 AM

It was the old one. I've always read the "may discard a Spell to gain clues" sentence as if the discarding player gained the clues. Instead, it's the guy with Visions who gains them! A classic lost in translation issue, I'd say :)

#8 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:18 AM

Julia,

Your initial reading is one perfectly fine interpretation.  As a native speaker of English who works with linguists, English is not nearly as precise as many other languages.  To that end, it is completely reasonable to make the call that the Investigator who discards the Spell also receives the Clue tokens similar to the sharing aspect of the Private Investigator Benefit card.  Of course, akin to the Anointed Benefit card, your second interpretation makes sense as the owner of the card should derive the benefit.

Cheers,

Joe

The Professor

#9 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,296 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:42 PM

Joe,

thanks for your observations on the way the card can be interpreted. And yes, it was by comparing Visions with Anointed that I got the Arcane Insight :)

#10 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:53 PM

Julia,

Not a problem!  Always glad to help.

Ciao,

Joe

• Julia likes this

The Professor

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS