Black Riders - Hard!

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#21 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:57 AM

Took you mind posting a recap of your quest 1?  Im using that deck and have a bunch of trouble with it.  Got to quest 3 once but failed Hide Tests hurt me.

I wouldn't mind, but I don't remember all of the details either.  Are you leaving the Riders in the staging area and not engaging them?  You have to kill them-

Oh no, you can't kill them!

Ok, you have to drive them off as soon as you can.  Save your Sneaky Gandalves for the 4 points of damage, engage, ready Sam, draw a card, play the Feint or Quick Strike you've saved (and maybe an Unseen Strike too if you don't have Gandalf) and send the Rider to the discard pile.

As far as Hide tests go, get a Fast Hitch on Sam and use him and Frodo to Hide.  Discard cards to the Protector of Lorien (that you've put on Frodo) or play Frodo's Initiative to make sure you don't fail.

I have a pretty busy week ahead and probably won't play again until next weekend.

"Finally!" - Nalir the Dwarf

Nearly all of my comments are from the perspective of the single handed solo player.

#22 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 644 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:59 AM

Just got BR today. Slapped together a hobbit deck Merry, Sam, Pippen lore, and beat first scenario first attempt.u
The Hobbit cards are really powerful, Sam is really good, i hooked him up with 2 ring mail and a hobbit cloak, and he is good to go at 6 def. Merry with two blades of westernese is attacking for 8! Of cousrs most of this comes down to engaging enimes with higher engagment cost then your threat, but Pippen makes that possible most of the time. Fast hitch, obviosly rocks in this deck.
Elf stone was able to get Beorn and Gildor allies in basically for free.
Jeez maybe it was beginners luck, but the hobbits seem like they are really going to be able to hold their own on a number of quests.
As for the first scenario. I thought it was really well done, I don' think it's easy, but I would'nt say it's really hard. Although, these are only impressions after one play through.
Campaign mode seem interesting, and that's how i played it. I'll probably just stick with it now.

I guess I have trouble with the quests adding in Black Riders and performing Hide tests, with them attacking if you fail.  Mind posting a recap/details on the turns?  Maybe staying on the first stage as long as possible is best strategy?

After one play i did not really come up with a solid strategy. It seemed like readying is going to be really important to deal with the questing and any potential hide tests that came up. I was lucky to get 2 fast hitches early in the game. I put one on Sam and the other on Frodo. I would Quest with them and Pippin form7 and if a hide test came up, i would be able to ready Sam and Frodo for at 5 WP. Of course later i had some more questing power. The tactics event halfling Determination and Frodo's intuition cards were really great for a willpower boost. With the heroes i had Cram could also be useful. If you have a spirit hero. You have a lot mor readying options. I also used the Mr. Underhill Boon once and a couple of Feints on the Black Riders throughout the scenario.

I wish i could find a good way to include a spirit hero with these hobbits, but the 3 of them seem like such a good fit, i think it's going to be hard to split them up. I'm going to need to keep tweaking the hobbit deck, there are lot's of possibilities, and too many good cards to choose from.
'At last' said Aragorn 'Here are the tracks that we seek!'

#23 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:59 AM

Isn't Hail of Stones an auto-include for every tactics deck? :huh:

I've never included it in a deck before because most of my decks until now haven't included a lot of allies to use.

Henceforth I'm calling the card Hail of Apple Cores.

• danpoage likes this

Nearly all of my comments are from the perspective of the single handed solo player.

#24 Spurries

Spurries

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:16 AM

Took you mind posting a recap of your quest 1?  Im using that deck and have a bunch of trouble with it.  Got to quest 3 once but failed Hide Tests hurt me.

I wouldn't mind, but I don't remember all of the details either.  Are you leaving the Riders in the staging area and not engaging them?  You have to kill them-

Oh no, you can't kill them!

Ok, you have to drive them off as soon as you can.  Save your Sneaky Gandalves for the 4 points of damage, engage, ready Sam, draw a card, play the Feint or Quick Strike you've saved (and maybe an Unseen Strike too if you don't have Gandalf) and send the Rider to the discard pile.

As far as Hide tests go, get a Fast Hitch on Sam and use him and Frodo to Hide.  Discard cards to the Protector of Lorien (that you've put on Frodo) or play Frodo's Initiative to make sure you don't fail.

I have a pretty busy week ahead and probably won't play again until next weekend.

Cool thanks , yea basically what Im doing, think ive been getting unlucky encounter deck, just actually beat it with a decent draw, but for your strategy of quick striking, what character do you have using that?  No one attacks for more than 4(Black Rider's defense) unless you attach the Daggers, which the deck you referenced doesnt include(although unseen strikes work fine here).

#25 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:40 AM

I was using the deck I mentioned stock for the first quest.  (Sam, Pippin, Merry)  I added Hail of Apple Cores for the second.  Anyway, Merry attacks for 4, which takes care of the defense value.  Sam will ready and be attacking for 2 more.  If you have popped the rider for 4 on a Sneak Attack that will drive him off.  Or use Unseen Strike and another character.

#26 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 644 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:01 PM

I finished off all 3 scenarios. These scenarios are really neat. I think they really capture the feel of the books quite well. I liked the second scenario the best. It seemed to have the most challenge.

I went with Merry, Sam and Pippin Lore (threat 20) with a real attachment heavy deck.
Here is the deck I used.

Allies: (8)
Gandalf core x2
Bill the Pony x2
Master of the Forge x3
Gildor Inglorion x1

Attachments: (25)
Hobbit cloak x3
Dunedain Warning x3
Dunedain Mark x3
Steward of Gondor x2
Celebrian's stone x2
Fast Hitch x3
Burning Brand x2
Dagger or Westernsse x3
Ring Mail x1
Gondorian Shield x1
Song of Wisdom x2

Events: (17)
Sneak Attack x3
Feint x3
Halfling Determination x3. Remove 1 and add Ranger Bow x1 after Sam gets Tireless Ranger Boon
Hail of Stones x2
Daeron's Ruins x3
Frodo's Intuition x3

Total 50

Sam with Dunedain Warnings, Ring Mails, Hobbit Cloak, SoWisdom/ Burning Brand, and at least one Fast hitch he becomes a brick wall. I had him at 9 defense on game, and if engagement cost does not work out he at 6 def. I have also added SoG and Gondorian Shield. All this and the Tireless ranger defense, Sam can safely defend for 11 when he is all primed up defending a higher engament cosy enemy.

Similarly with Merry. Two daggers and 3 Dunedain Marks, your looking at 11 attack, without engagement bonus he is at 9 atk.

Poor Pippin doesn't get anything, but his abilities are really what makes the deck work. The card draw is great too.

For questing it's pretty much Sam, Frodo, Pippin, and Merry when he gets a Fast Hitch. That's 9 WP. Sam with Celebrians stone and Bill the Pony bring that to a solid 12 each round.

These Hobbits really don't need much help from anyone else, as long as Gandalf shows up every once and awhile there all set.

Edited by Tracker1, 24 September 2013 - 07:33 PM.

#27 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:32 PM

I like your deck. It's my style for sure. I don't understand the bit about Gildor though. I thought you couldn't get Tireless Ranger until the end of the 3rd Quest? Or maybe you meant going forward?

#28 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 644 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:03 AM

I meant Gildor Lore ally, not the boon. I had one copy in my deck before I replaced it with Ranger Bow. You are able to select a boon like Tireless Ranger after completting the 2nd scenario, as it says on the Back of the Campaign card A Knife in the Dark.

The deck is fun, and to me it feels very thematic since most of the time you just have the 4 hobbits in play with Bill the Pony. Most of the other cards are meant to build up your heroes on the Journey. I'm really happy that I was able to take this approach, rather then having to call on heroes that don't at all make sense in the story. For fun, I'm going to run my Outlands deck through, I get the feeling they might actually struggle.

Edited by Tracker1, 24 September 2013 - 08:06 AM.

• Bullroarer Took likes this

#29 Karlson

Karlson

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:46 AM

I just completed the first Black Riders quest last night and played two-handed solo.

The heroes I used were Merry, Fatty, and Glorfindel (Sp) for the first deck and Sam, Pippin, and Strider for the other.  It was definitely hard trimming down each deck to a playable size because there were so many cards I wanted to use (I really love all of the new cards.)  In the end, I ended up with about 55 cards per deck and decided just to go with it. 

It was a tense game, but for the most part I managed to stay under the radar of the Nazgul and quest high enough to escape the Shire and ferry across the Brandywine River.  A few cards that I found extremely helpful were Sword that was Broken placed on Aragorn, Fast Hitch and Hobbit Cloak placed on Sam, and Frodo's Intuition, the new (and only) Fellowship-sphere card of this expansion.

Also, I really like the idea of Campaign Mode and played with those rules last night as well.  The Gandalf's Delay burden didn't seem too horrible, and the Mr. Underhill attachment and surprise arrival of Gildor Inglorian from the encounter deck were awesome! 

#30 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:24 AM

I meant Gildor Lore ally, not the boon. I had one copy in my deck before I replaced it with Ranger Bow. You are able to select a boon like Tireless Ranger after completting the 2nd scenario, as it says on the Back of the Campaign card A Knife in the Dark.

The deck is fun, and to me it feels very thematic since most of the time you just have the 4 hobbits in play with Bill the Pony. Most of the other cards are meant to build up your heroes on the Journey. I'm really happy that I was able to take this approach, rather then having to call on heroes that don't at all make sense in the story. For fun, I'm going to run my Outlands deck through, I get the feeling they might actually struggle.

I completely agree that these are some of the most thematic quests we have so far and they are even more fun when you try to stay in those boundaries.  (Which is why I really wish we had an Aragorn Ally.)  I guess we could use Dunedain Wanderer...

#31 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 644 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:49 AM

I completely agree that these are some of the most thematic quests we have so far and they are even more fun when you try to stay in those boundaries. (Which is why I really wish we had an Aragorn Ally.) I guess we could use Dunedain Wanderer...
Yes an Aragorn ally would have been great. That would have been perfect for the theme. I really thought we would be getting more of the Big name heroes as allies in these expansions. II am hoping to get all the characters as either heroes or allies from the fellowship for a solo deck, but that's probably just a pipe dream.

As for theme, the second scenario is great. You really feel like you are fighting for your life on top of Weathertop. I think they really nailed that scenario, each transition between quest cards is perfect in telling the story.

Edited by Tracker1, 24 September 2013 - 11:55 AM.

#32 Spurries

Spurries

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:49 PM

Nice deck Tracker per usual.  Just played the first scenario and Merry was swinging for 11 by the end of it haha.  Sam was at 6 defense.

#33 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 644 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:26 PM

Nice deck Tracker per usual. Just played the first scenario and Merry was swinging for 11 by the end of it haha. Sam was at 6 defense.

I tweaked the deck a bit.

I got rid of 2 healing herbs, added 2 Steward of Gondor. Also replaced 1 Ring Mail with 1 Gondorian Shield, all of which goes on Sam.
1 Gildor lore ally is back in, and when I get Tireless Ranger, take out 1 tactics event Halfling Determination it is either this or a Feint, and put in a Ranger Bow, although I just noticed it is restricted. I'll probably ditch it for Protector of Lorien instead. With Sam all decked out defending for a 11 with a burning brand the Feints are really only useful in the early game.

I'll edit the deck above

Anyway, this deck handles these 3 scenarios no problem.

I ran modified versions of this deck by removing Hobbits for other heroes, with marginal success and some loses.
I tried Sam, Merry, Glorfindel spirit. Lost second scenario
Also, Sam, Glorfindel, Aragorn lore Lost first Scenario twice.

hobbits are the way to go.
i tried this hobbit deck out on 7th level and they got smashed on the first few turns. They will get eaten up with low engagement enemies. Need to try again though.

Edited by Tracker1, 24 September 2013 - 07:59 PM.

#34 Spurries

Spurries

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:01 AM

Nice deck Tracker per usual. Just played the first scenario and Merry was swinging for 11 by the end of it haha. Sam was at 6 defense.

I tweaked the deck a bit.

I got rid of 2 healing herbs, added 2 Steward of Gondor. Also replaced 1 Ring Mail with 1 Gondorian Shield, all of which goes on Sam.
1 Gildor lore ally is back in, and when I get Tireless Ranger, take out 1 tactics event Halfling Determination it is either this or a Feint, and put in a Ranger Bow, although I just noticed it is restricted. I'll probably ditch it for Protector of Lorien instead. With Sam all decked out defending for a 11 with a burning brand the Feints are really only useful in the early game.

I'll edit the deck above

Anyway, this deck handles these 3 scenarios no problem.

I ran modified versions of this deck by removing Hobbits for other heroes, with marginal success and some loses.
I tried Sam, Merry, Glorfindel spirit. Lost second scenario
Also, Sam, Glorfindel, Aragorn lore Lost first Scenario twice.

hobbits are the way to go.
i tried this hobbit deck out on 7th level and they got smashed on the first few turns. They will get eaten up with low engagement enemies. Need to try again though.

Yea when I tried it I got rid of the herbs for Steward as well haha.  Shield is a good idea too.  I want to try one with Fatty next

#35 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:16 AM

I still waiting for my BR copy..... So i just wonna ask: Every one play a normal mode i suppose? And there is a big difference if you take red card out? Someone try it at all?

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#36 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 644 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:21 AM

I still waiting for my BR copy..... So i just wonna ask: Every one play a normal mode i suppose? And there is a big difference if you take red card out? Someone try it at all?

I've played only normal mode, and have not tried easy, at this point I probably will not since what I consider a pretty thematic deck did just fine. I could take out Gandalf to be true to the book, then I might consider easy mode, so I guess it probably has it's place, but I'm not that hardcore on thematic deck making.

#37 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:59 AM

I've only tried normal mode.  I feel it has a nice degree of difficulty especially I you stay thematic.

#38 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:40 PM

That what I thought..... so normal mode it doesn't feels like a hard right?

#39 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:43 PM

Actually just bought galaxy note 3..amazing phone really help me type without mistakes. Camera can make video 4k quality. So all my next videos should be much better quality.

#40 Glowwyrm

Glowwyrm

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:41 PM

Black Riders is difficult, but not in your face beat you to a pulp difficult like the HoN quests are.  The first two scenarios (all I've played so far) require a lot of strategic decision making, and they PUNISH poor choices and decks that aren't equipped to deal with their specific challenges (maybe I should underline that too, because there are very bad consequences).  I've only played them two handed, so I can't speak for their solo difficulty, but they required a lot of careful thought and some good luck to make it through.  And though we've all talked about using thematic decks against these scenarios, in this case,the thematic decks are strong decks.  I am anxious to try hobbits out against other scenarios to see where they really are as a deck type, but they are great against these scenarios.  And my other "thematic" deck is running Strider and Glorfindel, so I wouldn't call that a light weight either.  Overall, I like the scenarios a lot because they offer lots of strategic decision making that makes a big impact on the game.

I think that some typical powerhouse decks could struggle against these quests because there are some cards that really attack allies, so I can see why Thorin and Co. and Outlands could struggle as other posters have suggested.  I'll be interested to see what you think about them once you get them, Glaurung.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS