Black Riders - Hard!

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 Spurries

Spurries

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:21 AM

For all you guys that are looking for some hard quests, these ones should satisfy you.  I have played the first two a bunch of times, and they can be quite brutal.  

There are conditions that cause you to either add a nasty enemy to the encounter deck or choose something like raising your threat a bunch/revealing another encounter card.  Lots of surges.  Just took Thorin and Co. to the Prancing Pony and had a turn 1 loss due to a Black Rider making multiple attacks.

I have been able to beat them a couple of times, but certainly more losses than wins, especially with a Hobbit deck.

#2 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:54 PM

All of the Black Riders cards are available for viewing over at LOTRLCG.  I hope to have my set by the end of the week.

Spurries, which heroes did you use?  I consider Spirit Pippen to be inferior to Lore Pippen, but he does give you access to some key Spirit cards.  I'm still building my deck virtually as I (cannot) wait.

"I will not be released in the second quarter!" - Nalir the Dwarf

#3 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:05 PM

Very, very very good! I love it!

I didn play L0tr for a while......since is nothing coming. Cannot wait to get BR

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#4 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 732 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:27 PM

Very, very very good! I love it!

I didn play L0tr for a while......since is nothing coming. Cannot wait to get BR

haha i was waiting for you to respond to this.  when i saw this thread i thought to myself "nothing can be deemed difficult until Glaurung has had his say".  cant wait to get my hands on it either.

I think my box will be arriving via mail while i'm away on a trip naturally. pure agony

"His life is charmed, or fate spares him for some other end."

#5 Nickpes

Nickpes

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:21 PM

Me too thought of Glaurung when reading the threat title :)

Lord of all Noldor

A star in the night And a bearer of hope

He rides into his glorious battle alone Farewell to the valliant warlord

#6 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:13 PM

Good when your position is well know to anyone.

#7 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:21 AM

Dat english.

#8 Spurries

Spurries

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:11 AM

For Hobb

All of the Black Riders cards are available for viewing over at LOTRLCG.  I hope to have my set by the end of the week.

Spurries, which heroes did you use?  I consider Spirit Pippen to be inferior to Lore Pippen, but he does give you access to some key Spirit cards.  I'm still building my deck virtually as I (cannot) wait.

I used Lore Pippin Merry, Sam.  Lore Pippin is wayyy better than Spirit, the +3 engagement is fine, but the card draw ability is awesome.  I do miss out on Threat reduction/shadow/treachery cancel is the only tough part, but Frodo can sort of cancel cards that come out if super nasty.

#9 Spurries

Spurries

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:38 PM

As an update, Thorin an Co. which can beat most quests, got decimated by this one my last 12 chances.  Maybe encounter deck was overly mean, but 12 is a decent sample size.

#10 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 04:47 PM

Maybe I got lucky or maybe I was doing something wrong, but I didn't find the quest that hard.  I used the deck the Boris posted in strategy.  Unseen Strike is a great card on this quest as it really helps drive off the Black Riders.

Edit:  I am only talking about the first quest at this point.  It's the only one I've tried.

Edited by Bullroarer Took, 21 September 2013 - 04:50 PM.

#11 Spurries

Spurries

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:41 PM

@Took,

Ill give that deck a shot, but the dwarf power deck gets destroyed by the first quest on a regular basis.  I originally tried with a hobbit deck, but was a bit different than the one you referenced

#12 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:59 PM

Played quest 1 again this morning and beat it again handily. Just played quest 2 though and got slaughtered.

After playing through though I see a couple places where I made key mistakes. (Hail of Stones red courtesy phone..)

#13 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:21 PM

lucky dudes got BR already...... Actually is good time coming we will got last 2 packs of the third cycle +BR + VOI and N decks as well. 

#14 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:14 PM

Beat the second quest on my second try.  Hail of Stones was key and so is this:  Bill Ferney has got to die ASAP.

Even so it was really close.

#15 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:17 AM

Yes bill ferny must die asap. When i see him first time i tell my.self this guy must die or i lose. But he have 5 life Gandalf cannot shoot him.... hail of stone? Yes good idea.

#16 Spurries

Spurries

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:17 AM

Yep Hail of Stones is great for that one.  I actually beat all 3 with a Spirit-Tactics deck that I love, I think someone on here posted it.  Eowyn, Beregond Glorfindel.  It only suffers a bit when the Witch King comes, as you need 2 WP to defend, so Beregond is out.

#17 Spurries

Spurries

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:45 AM

Took you mind posting a recap of your quest 1?  Im using that deck and have a bunch of trouble with it.  Got to quest 3 once but failed Hide Tests hurt me.

#18 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 568 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:22 AM

Just got BR today. Slapped together a hobbit deck Merry, Sam, Pippen lore, and beat first scenario first attempt.u

The Hobbit cards are really powerful, Sam is really good, i hooked him up with 2 ring mail and a hobbit cloak, and he is good to go at 6 def. Merry with two blades of westernese is attacking for 8! Of cousrs most of this comes down to engaging enimes with higher engagment cost then your threat, but Pippen makes that possible most of the time. Fast hitch, obviosly rocks in this deck.
Elf stone was able to get Beorn and Gildor allies in basically for free.

Jeez maybe it was beginners luck, but the hobbits seem like they are really going to be able to hold their own on a number of quests.

As for the first scenario. I thought it was really well done, I don' think it's easy, but I would'nt say it's really hard. Although, these are only impressions after one play through.

Campaign mode seem interesting, and that's how i played it. I'll probably just stick with it now.

Edited by Tracker1, 23 September 2013 - 09:23 AM.

'At last' said Aragorn 'Here are the tracks that we seek!'

#19 Spurries

Spurries

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:37 AM

Just got BR today. Slapped together a hobbit deck Merry, Sam, Pippen lore, and beat first scenario first attempt.u

The Hobbit cards are really powerful, Sam is really good, i hooked him up with 2 ring mail and a hobbit cloak, and he is good to go at 6 def. Merry with two blades of westernese is attacking for 8! Of cousrs most of this comes down to engaging enimes with higher engagment cost then your threat, but Pippen makes that possible most of the time. Fast hitch, obviosly rocks in this deck.
Elf stone was able to get Beorn and Gildor allies in basically for free.

Jeez maybe it was beginners luck, but the hobbits seem like they are really going to be able to hold their own on a number of quests.

As for the first scenario. I thought it was really well done, I don' think it's easy, but I would'nt say it's really hard. Although, these are only impressions after one play through.

Campaign mode seem interesting, and that's how i played it. I'll probably just stick with it now.

I guess I have trouble with the quests adding in Black Riders and performing Hide tests, with them attacking if you fail.  Mind posting a recap/details on the turns?  Maybe staying on the first stage as long as possible is best strategy?

#20 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:39 AM

Isn't Hail of Stones an auto-include for every tactics deck? :huh:

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS