Spawn Monsters and Vortex

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Shinner

Shinner

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:11 PM

What occurs when Spawn Monster enters into the Vortex?

#2 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:57 PM

Shinner,

I've never had this happen before (and that's over 100 games!), but I would posit that the effects of the Vortex takes place ~ i.e. in Dunwich, add a marker for the Dunwich Horror (unless it's already out, as it doesn't matter what enters the Vortex); in Innsmouth, add a Deep One Token to the Deep One Track.  As to the Spawn Monster...return it to the GOO's sheet or wherever it normally resides.

Cheers,

Joe

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#3 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,265 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:23 PM

There are some possibilities for a Spawn to enter a vortex (Servants of Glaaki, Child of Abhoth, and also the Dunwich Horror if the Dark Druid is in play and his special ability is triggered twice). Since Spawn can be killed, a Spawn entering a vortex triggers all the specifics related to that vortex (as Joe said) and then it's returned to the AO sheet (Servants and Children of Abhoth) or to the game board (the Dunwich Horror reforms immediately at Sentinel Hill since the DH track is still full)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#4 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:42 PM

Hello, Julia!  Thanks for assisting with this one ~ I've honestly destroyed more Spawn Monsters than I care to recall...nasty little buggers...

The Professor

#5 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,265 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:45 PM

Destroying Spawn is much better than feeding them to vortices, so I can't, but approve :)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#6 Shinner

Shinner

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:01 AM

Rule "For each monster returned to the cup in this fashion, raise the terror level by one".
Spawn come back not to a cup of Monsters. There are links to official сlarifications?

Spawns that don't come back to a cup getting to the Vortex, so and its effects shouldn't work.

Edited by Shinner, 17 September 2013 - 07:41 AM.

#7 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:58 AM

Shinner,

I'm a rules-lawyer for many years and I like the way you think...for instance, at Y'anthlei in Innsmouth it states you may only "enter" it from Devil's Reef...it says nothing about 'leaving' it, so Silas (and I assume, others) are free to depart the location, but only 'enter' it from Devil's Reef.  The same kind of thinking can be applied here.  If a Spawn Monster enters the Vortex, it departs the board, but does NOT trigger the Vortex Effects.  Some will agree, others will call it quibbling, and others still will have their blood-pressure raised by your interpretation.  For what it's worth, I like it!

Cheers,

Joe

The Professor

#8 Shinner

Shinner

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:03 PM

Ок. Thanks!

And one more small question not on a subject... But there is no wish to create a new subject for it.

Removed Clues from Closed ("Close" counter) Locations? It happens important when the Location Is closed on 1 round.

#9 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,265 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:47 PM

Closed locations have investigators and monsters move to the street. Nothing has ever been said of removing clues, so I'd say they stay where they are (you can still pick'em up with special means, like Student Newspaper)

As for your other point, I agree that Spawn are not returned to the cup like other monsters; nonetheless, I'll trigger the +1 terror because the vortex ate something. No official clarifications on this point so far, though.

#10 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:49 PM

Shinner,

You have to understand, Julia is a mad-woman (I mean that in the sweetest and most complimentary way possible :P) and she will do everything to make the game harder.  If she could lie on a bed of nails and still see the board, she'd try it. 

Cheers,

Joe

Edited by The Professor, 17 September 2013 - 04:52 PM.

The Professor

#11 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,265 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:13 AM

From her bed of nails: I READ YOU JOE... BEWARE... :P :P :P :P :P :P

#12 Shinner

Shinner

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:04 AM

It isn't lonely in the madness: ) I same!

At us in Russia speak: "Not we such - life such!"

Thanks for answers, friends!

#13 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:05 AM

to Shinner: Vii govareetye pa russky?

to Julia: Something else to take camping...a bed of nails! :lol:

• Julia likes this

The Professor

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS