BGoTW: First game.

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Schwaig

Schwaig

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 04:03 PM

Pharaoh is available at ebay.co.uk, but I guess the price is much higher than normal (37 pounds)... might be worth waiting. Shipping is also not very fast.

#22 Krysmopompas

Krysmopompas

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 01:47 PM

I don't know if this has been answered yet, but Miskatonic does have that Skill Card built for Black Goat. You start as a member of the cult and there are a few other advantages when it comes to Cult Encounters.

If you aren't getting MH yet (although I agree with almost everyone else; once you have a couple of big-board expansions, get MH. It's a great way to tie everything together), you could always just choose an Investigator to be a cult member at the start of the game. 

I've gotta say, Black Goat is growing on me. It's probably the expansion that comes into play the least when I play it, but the odd time it's totally in your face.

#23 Lee418

Lee418

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:37 AM

Pharaoh is available at ebay.co.uk, but I guess the price is much higher than normal (37 pounds)... might be worth waiting. Shipping is also not very fast.

37 pounds for a small box expansion is quite expensive. That's probably double the normal RRP. I think I'll wait until Amazon get it back in stock. They will probably sell it for around 15 pounds.

To put it into perspective I just bought a copy of the big box Kingsport expansion today for 37.39 + Free P&P. :)

#24 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,115 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:46 PM

Congrats for getting Kingsport :)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#25 Lee418

Lee418

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:25 PM

Congrats for getting Kingsport :)

Thanks, Julia. It's not due to arrive until Friday, but I can't wait.

Quick question: Are all of the locations in Kingsport 'stable'?

#26 Joseph_Lavode

Joseph_Lavode

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:50 PM

They are all stable, the dangers on the Kingsport board come from other sources...

#27 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,115 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:54 PM

Agreed. Do not underestimate Kingsport because you don't have unstable location. The Mythos deck is a major pain, and the rifts are an interesting (and constant) menace.

• The Professor likes this
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#28 Lee418

Lee418

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:42 PM

Agreed. Do not underestimate Kingsport because you don't have unstable location. The Mythos deck is a major pain, and the rifts are an interesting (and constant) menace.

I've enjoyed my first couple of games with the KH expansion. My first impressions are that it's a gentle add-on that doesn't make too many demands on a n00b player. The main difficulty seems to be that you're always essentially -1 Investigator for the entire game due to the need of having someone constantly in Kingsport to keep the rifts under control. But at least that means there are new KH encounters every turn.  

#29 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,115 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:02 PM

Aye, that's the common first impression of KH :) In fact, you don't need to have an investigator there for the whole game. The four progress markers required to have a rift activating are divided into two rows: if one of these rows is filled, it doesn't really matter. You need to send somebody to Kingsport when a rift has three markers on his progress track: in this case you have the encounter removing the "single" marker, so that Mythos that would add markers to the already filled row are no threat at all.

In this way, you have all your investigators "free" to work as usual until a late phase in the game

• Lee418 likes this

#30 Lee418

Lee418

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:35 AM

In fact, you don't need to have an investigator there for the whole game. The four progress markers required to have a rift activating are divided into two rows: if one of these rows is filled, it doesn't really matter. You need to send somebody to Kingsport when a rift has three markers on his progress track: in this case you have the encounter removing the "single" marker, so that Mythos that would add markers to the already filled row are no threat at all.

In this way, you have all your investigators "free" to work as usual until a late phase in the game

Thanks for the the tip, Julia. :)

In fact it makes perfect sense. I guess it was my unfamiliarity with that particular game mechanism that lead me to be over cautious. I was worried that if I left Kingsport unguarded I might be caught out and find myself in a situation where a rift was about to open and no investigators were able to rush back and deal with it.

Oh well. You live and learn.

• Julia likes this

#31 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,115 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:57 AM

I was worried that if I left Kingsport unguarded I might be caught out and find myself in a situation where a rift was about to open and no investigators were able to rush back and deal with it.

And that's a very good point, and the key for an effective strategy, and one of the things I love about Kingsport so much: the rift mechanics never dilute, so that you know it's a constant and crescent threat. So, what to do? When to hit the tracks? Do I have enough "free investigators" to deal with an open rift? How much will it require to me closing that damn thing? With one rift open and another one with three tokens on it, where shall I go? Working on the open one because I fear the doomer, or trying to prevent the second one to open? How to deal with monsters in Kingsport (you don't have unstable locations, but you have monsters arriving there... and thanks to a Miskatonic Horror card, you could have a monster in every bloody aquatic location in Kingsport, which means it's a nightmare).

And if you want to suffer beyond any possible imagination, you can play Avi's masterpiece, The Things in the Rift:

The-Things-in-the-Rift.png

KIngsport is something unique in Arkham: it plays in a totally different way and it's quite unpredictable and difficult. I hope you could enjoy it as much as I do :)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS