Photo

What if my player want to take the Light of Terra? (Lure of the Expanse)

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Cavgunner

Cavgunner

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:02 AM

If your players encounter the Light of Terra and don't immediately start planning to salvage it- even to the extent of abandoning the quest for the Dread Pearl in favour of this alternate prize- then you should actually take it as a sign that they aren't playing the right game. Go find something other than Rogue Trader to run for them, because they clearly don't have the right mindset to succeed here.

My own players did manage to salvage the LoT- that is, stop the captain suiciding it and move it to a location less likely to be found by other Rogue Traders. After the Dread Pearl (where they also realised they wouldn't be able to hold it with so many rival RTs, and instead cut a deal with the Eldar to sabotage their rivals), they returned to the LoT. Then, rather than plan to refit it as a flagship, they were sensible enough to realise just how difficult that would be and decide the potential returns weren't worth it. So they looted it of everything they could, and then towed the hulk back to Port Wander, dropping it there and asking the Imperial Navy if they wanted their ship back.

Recovering the Flagship of St. Drusus and then just giving it back to the Imperial Navy was, I ruled, worth granting the Peer and Good Reputation (Imperial Navy) talents as cheap Elite Advances. The Rogue Trader considers this far more valuable in the long run than mere wealth.

This is pretty much exactly what my players are planning to do, including the whole "let's give it to the Navy as a goodwill gift" part.

Edited by Cavgunner, 20 December 2013 - 01:05 AM.

#22 Trader Austin

Trader Austin

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 04:43 AM

now lets step in with logistics once again. lets say they did salvage the LoT. congratulations you now have a battleship, a really powerful hole in space that eats thrones. when the USS Missouri fired one of her main guns, 14 inch i believe, it cost the same amount as a new cadillac. that was every shot. how many macro cannons does this thing have? after you shoot something with it will there be any salvage left? plus fuel, food, pay, ect. the navy may have a battleship per sub-sector. why is this? cause it takes a sub-sector to support one. a developed sub-sector. you can always point this out to them. 

#23 Wincent

Wincent

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:03 AM

now lets step in with logistics once again. lets say they did salvage the LoT. congratulations you now have a battleship, a really powerful hole in space that eats thrones. when the USS Missouri fired one of her main guns, 14 inch i believe, it cost the same amount as a new cadillac. that was every shot. how many macro cannons does this thing have? after you shoot something with it will there be any salvage left? plus fuel, food, pay, ect. the navy may have a battleship per sub-sector. why is this? cause it takes a sub-sector to support one. a developed sub-sector. you can always point this out to them. 

Can't agree with you. Battleship is a more symbol of status, kind of sacrum for Navy. It's like 10-12 km long, 200k crew and would have probly 8-10 weapon slots. I say you won't pay more for its running than for 3 Lunar Cruisers. Imperium might have one battleship for each subsector (I'd doubt they have so few sub-sectors but it's irrelevant), but they for use have enough resources do handle more.

Real trouble/benefit of battleship is its political and religious value - just like AdMechs titans.

#24 venkelos

venkelos

• Members
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:45 PM

Part is, I'm sure, time to construct. It always amazes me that with a million worlds, limitless labor, and tons of resources, the imperium can ever really hurt for anything, but they do, and as written, it could take a single Forge World a hundred years, or more, to manufacture one battleship. That same effort could go into several smaller craft, and/or many other types of things, and that means more flexibility in battle than a single battleship. Also, anything that big is a threat if you lose it, and have to fight it, so why build more than you absolutely need.

#25 Erathia

Erathia

• Members
  • 842 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:00 PM

Part is, I'm sure, time to construct. It always amazes me that with a million worlds, limitless labor, and tons of resources, the imperium can ever really hurt for anything, but they do, and as written, it could take a single Forge World a hundred years, or more, to manufacture one battleship.

There's two reasons I can think of for this.

1) It takes a huge amount of time for the Mechanicus to do anything, given that 70% of their time is given to ritual and consecration, 20% of their time ensuring that they're following STC protocols to build things correctly and 10% of their time engaging in blasphemous tech-heresy, and/or hiding the evidence of that.

2) The Imperium really believes in planets that only do one thing, presumably for the record keeping. Thus you have Forge Worlds, Hive Worlds, Agri-Worlds, Shrine Worlds... most of their worlds are given over to essentially doing one thing. That's not a huge problem except their worlds are joined together by a swirling malestrom of Chaos with warp currents that make regular shipping schedules unproductive. Thus it's not uncommon for worlds to starve because their Agri-World shipments get delayed, or Forge Worlds shut down because they can't get the raw materials needed to keep their forges running.

Citizens of Grace! We have defeated both the Dark Eldar and Ork menaces that threatened your system! We need no thanks nor payments, so long as you do not leave the atmosphere during our salvage operations under pain of death! - Jequin Hos of The Hos Dynasty

#26 Nojo509

Nojo509

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:30 PM

I did let my players take it to Port Wander, then told them it would take so long to repair they would know the campaign was ending when it was ready. They'd get to use it in one session.

That happened, and one of the players, a distant relation to Hax, won his right to take over what he thought was the Calixis Sector. Instead, he got the Jericho Reach and had to deal with Tau, Chaos, and Tyranids or face a firing squad. With that, the campaign ended.

• Kshatriya and Erathia like this

#27 Errant Knight

Errant Knight

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:41 PM

Battleship?  No.  I ran this one, and yes the PCs had those thoughts and desires, and no I didn't blow it up or squash their itsy-bitsy dreams.  I just threw monkey wrench after monkey wrench into their dreams until they gave up on it.  There are already plenty of monkey wrench suggestions in the previous posts.  Use them all.  Your players will come up with even more wonky ideas.  Disappoint them.  They need some disappointment in their lives.  You let them adventure across sectors, conquer planets, defeat alien hordes, and become heroes to millions.  They can find solace in that.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS