No way home?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Lee418

Lee418

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:55 PM

What happens if an investigator is in an OW location and the gate back to Arkham closes? Is the investigator trapped in the OW and forced to wait until another gate opens? If so, does the investigator have to have repeated OW encounters during the wait?

Or is the investigator simply Lost in Time and Space?

#2 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:37 PM

It's off to LiTaS for the Investigator!  Now, if the Investigator has a Gate Box...ahhhh, much better.

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#3 Lee418

Lee418

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:16 PM

It's off to LiTaS for the Investigator!

Thanks.

The issue came up when I drew the "dimensional beam machine" encounter at the Science Building. I suddenly realised that I didn't have a clue what the effect would be on investigators in OW locations if I rolled 'successes' on those gates. After a quick look through the rule book I was still in the dark, so I decided to skip the encounter. In retrospect a wise a move.

#4 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,433 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:35 PM

Just remember the investigators actually in OW do not go directly LiTaS; they go LiTaS only when they should return to Arkham after finishing exploring the OW (this means they start their movement phase in the Second Area of the OW and are not delayed)

• The Professor and jackman51 like this
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#5 Lee418

Lee418

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:27 AM

Just remember the investigators actually in OW do not go directly LiTaS; they go LiTaS only when they should return to Arkham after finishing exploring the OW (this means they start their movement phase in the Second Area of the OW and are not delayed)

You've just answered the very question I was going to ask before I asked it. :D

Follow up question...

If an investigator in an OW has an encounter that says he/she returns to Arkham, do they still return to the original Arkham location where they entered the OW even though the gate has closed?

#6 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 06:18 AM

Lee418,

Anytime an encounter reads "Return to Arkham" ~ that is shorthand for "you may exit this Other World by a Gate which provides access to this place"  I'm being particularly vague, because you need not necessarily "Return to Arkham" from exactly the same Gate you entered.  For instance, you may have entered a Gate to Yuggotth at the Black Cave, but there's another Gate open to Yuggoth at Devil's Reef.  Short on cash, time, or both, exiting the Gate at Devil's Reef may provide you the opportunity to handle issues in Innsmouth.  Also, as I mentioned previously, if the Investigator has a Gate Box AND there are any Gates open on the board, he'll not go to LiTaS, as he may exit any available Gate.

Cheers,

Joe

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#7 Garthnait

Garthnait

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:01 AM

And does I get an exploration counter regardless of which of the connected gates I will return?

Dices, cubic messengers of fate.

#8 Lee418

Lee418

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:36 AM

Anytime an encounter reads "Return to Arkham" ~ that is shorthand for "you may exit this Other World by a Gate which provides access to this place"  I'm being particularly vague, because you need not necessarily "Return to Arkham" from exactly the same Gate you entered. 

I'm already familiar with the rule that allows an investigator to exit an OW through multiple gates that connect to the same OW location. But my question is slightly different.

Here's the game situation as it occured: 

During the Arkham Encounters phase Micheal McGlen entered a gate to R'lyeh located at Independence Square. This was the only gate to R'lyeh open on the board. Later on during the same phase Sister Mary had an encounter at the Science Building which could have closed the gate to R'lyeh. Being unfamiliar with the rules on this point I decided to skip the encounter.

But what if Sister Mary had managed to close the only gate to R'lyeh? As we've already established Michael McGlen would still have a normal OW encounter phase because he was still in the first section of the OW. If during that phase he were to draw an encounter that said "Return to Arkham", would he return to Independence Square even though the gate has already been closed? Or would he be automaticaly LiTaS?

#9 AltWren

AltWren

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:39 AM

LiTaS.  He has no legal gate to exit.

#10 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,433 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:26 AM

LiTaS.  He has no legal gate to exit.

Yes. That's the key point. The gate can be closed for different reasons: encounters, items, whatelse. You may also be forced to move to a different OW by certain encounters. Whatever. Whenever you're instructed to return to Arkham (by an OW encounter or by you starting your movement phase in the 2nd area of an OW without being delayed) and there is no open gate to that OW, then you go LiTaS

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#11 Lee418

Lee418

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 03:35 PM

Got it. Thanks for the clarification.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS